Costa Rica laws regarding treasure hunting, HELP!

Randi W

May 29, 2020
Costa Rica
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow hunters. I am new to this site and want to know if anyone has any info on the laws in Costa Rica regarding using a metal detector on the beaches and in the water. A google search is not yielding the best results and I don't know how much I trust a lawyer to give me accurate information. I found an informative thread regarding what some locals assume may happen if you are spotted or caught, and answers ranged from "nothing" to "jail time." Additionally, the post was from 2004. I am not necessarily looking to do this in the National Parks (closest to me is Ballena) however would like to do some leisurly hunts in the sand on the various southern pacific beaches. Any information on if there are CONCRETE rules or laws will e very helpful.
Thank you!

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Most countries in the world have national patrimony laws. If you find something, it belongs to the government !

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unless things recently changed - beaches and water should be fine - just stay away from ancient sites

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...any info on the laws in Costa Rica regarding using a metal detector...
tn_link.gif
I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a number of threads - here are just a few...

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Randi,hi.
I lived down in Golfito,down by the Border.I hunted beaches with no problems.Theres' lots of areas with Pre-Columbian Graves,I would be cautious, inland,unless it's private property.Those beaches were Dirty,and non productive..However The Osa peninsula across the bay is,and was a large, producing Gold area,still possible but talk to the locals.I made plans to go to the very tip of the Osa peninsula.It's remote,but you can get there.Lots of old Dry Placer diggins.California Mining Journey had a Big Article on the History of those old Placers..Isla Violin was a producer of Gold also,Get busy.

stoneshirt.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most beach front hotels will tell you that they have guests that metal detect their beach all the time. Be wary of people claiming to have lost gold jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread