Costco San Diego wants $5.99 for three tomatoes

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still in the parking lot of a Costco, in San Diego.

They want 5.99 for three tomatoes and there were about 25 packages total in the whole store.
A generation stands between me and the folks that were happily picking these things two months ago before the entire crop rotted in place.

I'm not gonna do it. I drive a Mercedes and have a 401K (sore subject).

I'm not trying to be political but it looks like I'm not having tomatoes to often for at least the foreseeable future

Food supply is a really really big deal.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that's the reason we have tomato plants ! For $ 5.99, they can stay on the rack at the grocery store.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5.99 seems OK for three tomatoes, if they were the size of pumkins.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I do not buy produce at Costco. In my opinion, much of the produce sold there, while the packaging is pretty, is of marginal quality, at best. Of the bananas my wife bought this week while she was there (single bunch of 9), I threw out 5. When the flesh is black through over half the banana, there is something wrong. I find the same dubious quality at our local Safeway and WalMart. By far the best quality is at any of the local WINCO stores, and a local chain called Grocery Outlet.

Additionally, Costco seems to have far higher than average prices for most produce. This is consistent throughout the year, regardless of where in the country we shop (we visit central Texas, eastern Idaho, and central Alabama on a regular basis).

In a few years, when we move from Oregon to Texas, I will have to find who has the best of the several fruits and vegetables in the area we plan on buying. Where the grandchildren live, the best choices are H-E-B and Aldi, with their local Costco and WalMart no better than they are here.

When it comes to buying fresh produce, experience is key.

Time for more coffee.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $ 5.99 you can buy enough heirloom seeds to have tomato's for the rest of your life.
I haven't eaten a store bought tomato in over 30 years , do they still taste like the box they come in? after growing my own food I find store bought to be flavorless .
I grow , hunt, fish and forage for a lot of my food.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Some are in a position to grow their own produce. Since we travel out of state several times a year, occasionally on less than a weeks notice, any type of garden is impractical. Hence the decision to buy at markets. Air travel is so frequent now, that even having a dog is impractical, and would be bad for the dog.

I do have tremendous respect for those who do grow their own. When the kids were growing up, and we rarely went anywhere for more than a few days, I spent most evenings growing all manner of flowers and vegetables. Lots of canning, freezing, dehydrating, and freeze drying. Those days are over except for crab, tuna, and salmon whenever we are running low.

Still time for more coffee.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not buy produce at Costco. In my opinion, much of the produce sold there, while the packaging is pretty, is of marginal quality, at best. Of the bananas my wife bought this week while she was there (single bunch of 9), I threw out 5. When the flesh is black through over half the banana, there is something wrong. I find the same dubious quality at our local Safeway and WalMart. By far the best quality is at any of the local WINCO stores, and a local chain called Grocery Outlet.

Additionally, Costco seems to have far higher than average prices for most produce. This is consistent throughout the year, regardless of where in the country we shop (we visit central Texas, eastern Idaho, and central Alabama on a regular basis).

In a few years, when we move from Oregon to Texas, I will have to find who has the best of the several fruits and vegetables in the area we plan on buying. Where the grandchildren live, the best choices are H-E-B and Aldi, with their local Costco and WalMart no better than they are here.

When it comes to buying fresh produce, experience is key.

Time for more coffee.

I am not a snob, but the reason I shop at Costco is to restore my faith in humanity.

Most of the inventory is a little bit of a higher quality then the average store, and they have a good selection of high some higher end specialty items

The service center is excellent and you can return a car battery two years later with absolutely no questions asked.

The membership fee is just high enough that everyone (except the staff) is polite and more courteous.
I am a lot better looking and an all around better person when I shop at Costco as opposed to say....... Walmart. ;)

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
xxxx

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
$5.99 seems OK for three tomatoes, if they were the size of pumkins.

These were not the size of pumpkins, but they were really big beautiful tomatoes. These were the Audrey Hepburn or Raquel Welch in their prime kind of tomatoes.
That said, they were also the most expensive tomatoes I've ever contemplated buying in my life.

I'm sure Rachel Welch wasn't cheep to be around either, but knowing myself, It's far more likely that I would would have splurged on Rachel Welch as opposed to giving in to the siren call of the Costco tomatoes, even if I new it more then likely meant that I would risk ruining my entire life in the process.

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My tomato plants are 6 foot and still growing.
Ain't nothin like a home grown tomater...
Gt...

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My tomato plants are 6 foot and still growing.
Ain't nothin like a home grown tomater...
Gt...

I didn't know tomato plants get that tall.

It's hard to do everything.
I have quite a lot of acreage in east county San Diego.

I put in a small manufactured home and I planted about 200 pine trees so far.
Christmas trees are not that popular anymore, but it allows me to call myself a farmer which is a very little known secret that contributes to living a privileged lifestyle in California without being a milionaire many times over.

Tomatoes would be a lot more time consuming.
Its hard to do everything.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were probably vine ripened organic tomato.
You want the premium tomato’s that the bugs didn’t get..cost $$
Otherwise buy the cheap ones that got sprayed with Roundup or similar chemical.

True story.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I am not a snob, but the reason I shop at Costco is to restore my faith in humanity.

Most of the inventory is a little bit of a higher quality then the average store, and they have a good selection of high some higher end specialty items

The service center is excellent and you can return a car battery two years later with absolutely no questions asked.

The membership fee is just high enough that everyone (except the staff) is polite and more courteous.
I am a lot better looking and an all around better person when I shop at Costco as opposed to say....... Walmart. ;)

I have to agree. Costco does have better quality for most goods than most other retailers. Prices are reasonable, too. I simply think their produce is too low of quality, on average, for my taste. Otherwise, we are generally in agreement. I will be at Costco, Winco, and Lowe’s tomorrow.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually the ones I buy are called Romas. Thay are everywhere and are relatively cheap.
They are the size of a large plum and my understanding is they are grown in trays filled with water and fertilizer in the complete absense of soil.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might consider buying diced canned tomatoes , or even tomato paste - in terms of the nutritive value of the tomato , it's all there and ready when you are . In fact in cooking down the paste - the lycopene in the tomatoes just became easily accessible to you !

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't know tomato plants get that tall.

It's hard to do everything.
I have quite a lot of acreage in east county San Diego.

I put in a small manufactured home and I planted about 200 pine trees so far.
Christmas trees are not that popular anymore, but it allows me to call myself a farmer which is a very little known secret that contributes to living a privileged lifestyle in California without being a milionaire many times over.

Tomatoes would be a lot more time consuming.
Its hard to do everything.

I live in the desert, grow all year round, it is much work but then again, I don't have to gripe about the quality or price of fresh vegetables.
Gt ...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Just about all you buy in the store are Frankenveggies, GMO. And organic doesn’t mean squat.
I love my vegs and gotta have ‘em but haven’t had to buy any for years.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You might consider buying diced canned tomatoes , or even tomato paste - in terms of the nutritive value of the tomato , it's all there and ready when you are . In fact in cooking down the paste - the lycopene in the tomatoes just became easily accessible to you !
Is the BPA in the can liner still an issue? Always buy tomatoes canned in a glass container.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in the desert, grow all year round, it is much work but then again, I don't have to gripe about the quality or price of fresh vegetables.
Gt ...

The vast majority of Americans are not going to grow anything. 95% won't.
Until recently it was just to easy to go to walmart to get whatever you want any time you want it along with an extra I phone cable.
There is a lot ofi invisible infrastucture that goes into making all that possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread