Cosumnes Adventure

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
Aloha Y'all.

I am heading to the middle fork of The Cosumnes river for about a day and half of bushwhacking and prospecting. I have done pretty good research on existing claims etc. and feel pretty comfortable with where I will be heading. Anyone out there have any areas of interest that might be worth looking into? I am bringing a nice sluice I just got, along with pans and sniping gear. I know there are still nuggets to be found ... at any moment a shift in sediment or rock fall , frog fart etc could reveal a new nugget or at least a picker lol.

I have a newborn and live in SoCal so when I get a chance to hit the GOLD COUNRY up North I hit it hard. The only unsuccessful prospecting trip is the one you didn't go on.

Either way I will post my findings when I return.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Sean Au.

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
All the rivers are up cold and clear until the next rain. Only dangerous if you fall in.
good to know. So still plenty of places to hunt just gotta be careful. Maybe similar to Merced right now. exactly how cold we talking , still snipe-able with wetsuit or too much current?

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are a GPAA member they have a claim on the north fork off Cosumnes mine road , I did real well when we could dredge , 2 oz in 10 days w/5"
Location= camp
DSCF0050.JPG

The River in September LOW
DSCF0880.JPG

Do not go down the hill if you do not have "4 wheel drive " you may want to walk it first , I have not been back since the Bridge got washed away , With that much force Gold will move ,
I think Cosumnes river has no Dam on it so water flow is all Natural .

OP
OP
Sean Au.

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
If you are a GPAA member they have a claim on the north fork off Cosumnes mine road , I did real well when we could dredge , 2 oz in 10 days w/5"
Location= camp View attachment 2025030
The River in September LOW
View attachment 2025031
Do not go down the hill if you do not have "4 wheel drive " you may want to walk it first , I have not been back since the Bridge got washed away , With that much force Gold will move ,
I think Cosumnes river has no Dam on it so water flow is all Natural .
WOW that's so awesome ...! Thanks for the info. I was looking into getting a GPAA membership , seems like its cheaper just to go month to month with membership. I was just a lil skeptical thinking the claims may all be mined out but then again what hasn't been in Gold Country lol. Is the camp spot you found a actual campsite?

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes at the bottom of the hill there is room for about 2 or 3 camp sites , I do not know if there are any Trees left after the fire , Buy the way if your not in good shape the hill is a tough hike , This is the up stream site there is no flat spot anywhere we call it "Angle Camp"
DSCF0452.JPG

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might check with the forest service about access that Caldor fire burned right up portions of the river. Actively being salvage logged total destruction in a lot of areas .

OP
OP
Sean Au.

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
You might check with the forest service about access that Caldor fire burned right up portions of the river. Actively being salvage logged total destruction in a lot of areas .
wow that fire must've been insane. Ill given them a call. Good tip!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
to check any river level you USED to go to http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwist/rt BUT it says this site is no more and i don't know what replaced it.
There used to be almost 4,000 river gauges reporting. They have closed down most of the river gauges and every government website eventually goes away.

Land Matters has a Real Time Map with working water gauge reporting. Click on the guaging stations and you will get a link to the most recent conditions.

Here's a link to the current report for the two gauges on the Consumnes from that map link:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Sean Au.

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
There used to be almost 4,000 river gauges reporting. They have closed down most of the river gauges and every government website eventually goes away.

Land Matters has a Real Time Map with working water gauge reporting. Click on the guaging stations and you will get a link to the most recent conditions.

Here's a link to the current report for the two gauges on the Consumnes from that map link:

Heavy Pans
Thanks for the info on that. Not sure how to read it thou
WOW that's so awesome ...! Thanks for the info. I was looking into getting a GPAA membership , seems like its cheaper just to go month to month with membership. I was just a lil skeptical thinking the claims may all be mined out but then again what hasn't been in Gold Country lol. Is the camp spot you found a actual campsite?
I was checking this area out on google earth. As the crow flies, is it about 10 miles above PIPI Campground? I found the road, but do not see any way down to water. Maybe I'm way off lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread