23.9 KB · Views: 1,818
OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Weazel said:
It could be Copralite (sp) otherwise knows as fosselized dung...

Thank you for your help Weaz,
I am not a PHD in so called dung analogies, but by it's weight magnetic, properities and hardness
alone, it would seem not to be fosselized dung. Food for lifeforms that produces fecal matter it
would seem, would not include high concentrations of raw heavy iron in their diet such as would be
needed, for that definition,,,,,
Fecal matter when hardened and aged I don't think would weigh in weight by comparison of size
as this speciman of hard magnetic rock.......................

I could hardly think this would be a legitimate revelation, unless some unknown creature exists that consumed
very heavy concertrations of iron in it's diet, and it's dung is heavier than normally would be of any other living creature known to exist upon planet earth, I don't know, maybe it could be possible there were some
prehistoric lifeforms that did eat high concentrations of iron ore, although it don't make sense to me......
Have a good'un
SS

A

almittmet

Greetings,

Looks like a hematite nodule. A meteorite will be shinny like bright silver when polished out. Hematite will be brownish and leave a brownish streak on porcelain. See more images below of similar finds. Also a simple nickle test will confirm or disprove if it is a meteorite or not. Best!

http://www.meteoritesplus.com/hn1.JP

--ALMitt

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Slag. Slag is the result of smelting iron out of iron ore. The impurities are melted out and the impure left overs are the little lumps of slag we find.

D

don Lupe

Best to have the piece cut. that'll solve the mystery once and for all. Eh? Have some Rock-Cutter do the work, if any metal-chrondule evidence, etch it.. but the reality is there doesn't appear to be any evidence of Meteoritic in you excellent photos. In any case, get a Whites metal-detector, check out from books where there has been a known strewn-field in you area..get out there and " get'er done! " it's a lot of fun..loose some pounds.. forget about the 'money' part, but share with the Web community your knowledge..

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i agree with almittmet on hemotite nodual. the creek i dredge in missouri has lots of these. if in doubt take it to your state colledge geology proffesor and ask him to i.d. it for you.

SkyRock Cafe

Greenie
Sep 25, 2007
I agree with everyone else, it looks like a hematite nodule. Cut it in half and polish it so you can see if there are chondrules and metal flecks. This will tell you, cuz if it is hematite it will be brownish/red and probably have some air pockets or vessels.
Happy Hunting,
Joe Kerchner

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possable meteorite. You have to look inside. Any metal flakes?

catchdogcross

Sep 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon, Tesoro Tiger Shark
looks like Botrioydal Hematite... But don't fret, Hematite is just about the coolest stone out there. Properly tumbled it looks like silver and it's very easy to make into jewlery as it's MOH'S 5. However what you got there seems to me to be of specimen grade, take it to a rock shop see if they want to purchase it... It's cool either way!!! nice find!!!
Catchdog
Check out the these pics!:

http://www.mineralminers.com/html/hemmins.stm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread