Countries that do not allow detectors at all.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
So, i'm planning to sail around the world on a sailboat. Some countries do not allow metal detecting, and that's fine. Their place, their rules. However i'm concerned because some countries have VERY strict laws regarding them, which I should avoid visiting completely. (I don't want them confiscated at customs)

So far from internet searches i've got this list:

Cuba (Possession of detectors is prohibited)
Algeria (Possession of detectors is prohibited)
Cyprus (Supposedly will confiscate your detectors)
Jordan (Not allowed through customs)
Mongolia (Metal detectors are totally banned)
Moldova (Possession of detectors is prohibited)

Anyone know of any other countries I should definitely avoid? There are lots of nations that I can find no information about at all.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Check the internet. There are sites that tell you how to
make a basic metal detector with a radio and a calculator!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do a few thread searches here there are a number of them with comments on where you wont be able to take a detector. Most recent one I recall concerned people taking them on cruise ships and not being allowed to take them off the ship. In some cases they were held by the cruise line.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Greece is really wierd about it
Basically anywhere at all you dig in the vicinity of Athens, Its suburbs, or many of the inhabited islands you will shortly thereafter find proof of ancient civilization.

Most or all of Athens subway stations are plexiglass walled museums that cut through old underground towns, cemeteries, living rooms, garbage dumps etc......

Families display great pride in their officially unacknowledged undeclared antiquities that they only share proof of amongst other close family.

I've seen an antiquities authority tent right in the middle of a busy street over a blocked off excavation that revealed a freshly dug ten foot deep doorway of an ancient villa.

The police and the military presence that exists on every inhabited island will absolutely s*** their pants if they see you with a metal detector or camera off the beaten path.

They will confiscate it in the pretense of spying activity or terrorism.

That said, these people regard themselves as the birthplace of democracy, so there are few written laws that I knew of specifically outlawing metal detecting .

There a hundreds of uninhabited island. I'm sure those would be very worthwhile.

Last edited:

Powdered4

Greenie
Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know, these three countries do not allow metal detecting;
Sweden. Metal detecting is forbidden.
Comoros islands. Any metal detecting is forbidden.
Ethiopia. Metal detectors are totally banned.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is not forbidden in Sweden. There are a couple of Swedes on here that post their finds. I know there are restrictions and foreigners may either not be allowed to detect or not be allowed to take their finds out of the country. I also believe reading that you have to get permission from each county first. But it is allowed, as long as you follow their laws.

Scott

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few weeks ago we introduced this subreddit with the promise of starting to share more around our safety and security efforts. I wanted to get this out sooner...but I am worstnerd after all! In this post, I would like to share some data highlighting the results of our work to detect and mitigate content manipulation (posting spam, vote manipulation, information operations, etc).

I believe you are horribly lost.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago we introduced this subreddit with the promise of starting to share more around our safety and security efforts. I wanted to get this out sooner...but I am worstnerd after all! In this post, I would like to share some data highlighting the results of our work to detect and mitigate content manipulation (posting spam, vote manipulation, information operations, etc).

WTF?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is some version of spam, I am sure. Nobody registers
on a site and then drops in a post they know does not fit
with the site.

I googled the first line of the post in question, and it seems
this same post was spammed all over the web.

No doubt a Moderator will soon send the post off to the garbage heap..:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread