Coyote Clan of Hohokam Petroglyph near Tucson?

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been doing some hiking in Catalina State Park lately. I've been following markers to old camp sites. I found this petroglyph on the largest rock at a site I located. I think it is very old Hohokam. I think it is unusual to find animal images. Usually petroglyphs are abstract map references to the geography nearby. I'm new to Arizona and have noticed that there are fewer petroglyphs and far more markers here when compared to California or Nevada.
If anyone is interested in hiking to some old camp sites in the Santa Catalina Mtns area PM me. You will need to be an experienced and equipped hiker capable of doing a 10-mile outing.
Ed DSCF0019.JPG

Upvote 0

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly are we supposed to be looking at here?

OP
OP
E

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another photo

It is the face of a coyote, pecked into the rock. It uses the rock cracks as an outline to the ears. This was located at a campsite with a marked trail to it and many pieces of old pottery about the area. DSCF0021.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it appears to me to be natural freeze and thaw erosion, which also covers the rock face you have posted. Look for debris on the ground at the bottom of the rock.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I enlarged the pic & see what your talking about. I have no clue if it's manmade or a natural occurrence that looks like the face of a canine.

Coonhound

Jul 13, 2020
Northern New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in New Mexico and have seen many petroglyphs, a lot of them with animal images. This just doesn't look like a petroglyph to me.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not seeing it ! But you could be charged with defacing sticking a knife into the rock face .

OP
OP
E

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grinding Hole at the Same Location

There are at least four grinding holes in the rocks at the same location. There are also a lot of pottery pieces on the surface of the ground. No stones were harmed during the photographs of the rocks.

Attachments

• DSCF0042.jpg
    DSCF0042.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 68

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread