Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out in Texas they used to hang them from the nearest barb wire fence.Not sure why,but I,ve seen pictures of it.
Yes glad you said that sounds like what I heard many many years ago was right..A while ago we had several deer in the yard and they quickly started to run to the woods…A few seconds later two coyotes were headed in their direction

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a spypoint microlink trail camera.. actually I have 3.. I have them set up on my farm here.. It keeps in tune to the deer and bear.. no 'yotes on Vancouver Island. The nice thing is that you get an instant notification on your phone and a photo of whatever it is

When I lived in Edgewood, we had issues with them.. A 250 - 3000 took care of the problems. They tried for our chickens and our foals.. Not having any of that

But luckily... no 'yotes, no skunks, no porcupines.... only racoons.. and a high powered PCP pellet gun take care of them..

Micheal

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a spypoint microlink trail camera.. actually I have 3.. I have them set up on my farm here.. It keeps in tune to the deer and bear.. no 'yotes on Vancouver Island. The nice thing is that you get an instant notification on your phone and a photo of whatever it is

When I lived in Edgewood, we had issues with them.. A 250 - 3000 took care of the problems. They tried for our chickens and our foals.. Not having any of that

But luckily... no 'yotes, no skunks, no porcupines.... only racoons.. and a high powered PCP pellet gun take care of them..

Micheal

Micheal
I like the feature that the camera will notify you Best of luck on beautiful Vancouver Island and I really like your writing on what a man believes...take care out there...Bill

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ve never heard of them attacking humans here,probably because every body will peg a shot at them on sight so they have a healthy respect for people.They do attack pets and livestock,cats are the chicken nuggets of the coyote world,especially tame cats.Deer fawns and ground nesting birds catch heck too.Mange is the primary disease that afflicts them here.Not much more pitiful than a coyote dying from mange.That said,I never saw a coyote I didn,t want to shoot.I second ticndig! They do sound kind of pretty at night!
Sound similar to our Dingos, they'll go for small children and livestock.
Knew a guy yrs ago that got attacked by a pack of a dozen or so in the outback, nearly killed him. But that's not common.
None where I am these days. Thankfully no rabies here either.
Thank you for the information on Dingos,,they like to attack in packs like the coyotes..I would love to visit the outback someday

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coming weekend will be the big coyote hunt/contest held in Pa. It's sponsored by a sportmens club. There will probably be over 4000 hunters register and over $40,000- paid in prizes. Top prizes for largest male and largest female will be close $10,000- each. Largest male is usually around 50 lbs and female around 45 lbs.
That’s amazing..over 4000 hunters.
A 45 and 50 pound is surly eating good..
Be safe out there

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This coming weekend will be the big coyote hunt/contest held in Pa. It's sponsored by a sportmens club. There will probably be over 4000 hunters register and over $40,000- paid in prizes. Top prizes for largest male and largest female will be close $10,000- each. Largest male is usually around 50 lbs and female around 45 lbs.

I was heavily involved with competition predator hunting back in the 70's and 80's; hung it up when I moved to WA back in 1987.

Since that time I've grown to understand many critters, my values
have changed, and I wouldn't kill and animal now unless it was under
very serious circumstances. I can claim no innocence, I'm a damn
good varmint hunter and ended many hundreds of critters lives. This
is just my personal opinion, and I bear no malice for anyone that
chooses to follow the laws and take the life of an animal.

The Eastern coyote is larger, stronger and more aggressive than it's
relatives out west. Hope everyone has a fun and safe hunt, with many
missed shots to talk about over the campfire.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's plenty Coyotes it seems.
Friends just had their Great Pyrenees in a loop snare for a day.
Neighbor released her, and they picked up the dog.
One very swollen neck.
16 Coyotes since the New Year he's got in one trap.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's plenty Coyotes it seems.
Friends just had their Great Pyrenees in a loop snare for a day.
Neighbor released her, and they picked up the dog.
One very swollen neck.
16 Coyotes since the New Year he's got in one trap.

I made the mistake, one time, of setting a snare about a mile from
a home. Unfortunately the people let their dog run loose, and she
tangled with my snare, and lost. Having to tell someone that you killed
their dog is no fun at all. After that I never set a snare within 5 miles
of any occupied properties.

A working coyote set will continue to produce, and it seems like the
more coyotes you catch in that spot, the more coyotes will come to it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I made the mistake, one time, of setting a snare about a mile from
a home. Unfortunately the people let their dog run loose, and she
tangled with my snare, and lost. Having to tell someone that you killed
their dog is no fun at all. After that I never set a snare within 5 miles
of any occupied properties.

A working coyote set will continue to produce, and it seems like the
more coyotes you catch in that spot, the more coyotes will come to it.
The other 3 have been observed as being very cautious around the snare. But this female just wasn't in the original pack and fell for thee trap.
Strange that the Coyotes keep returning to the snare.
Almost they want to defeat it.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Moultrie for over 10 years but recently replaced it with a Garde Pro A3. It cost half of what the Moultrie cost ($69) and is a lot easier to use, takes great pics, has longer IR range. It also has side scanning IR detectors. Highly recommend it.

Coonhound.thanks for the info..the price is appealing also take care

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes glad you said that sounds like what I heard many many years ago was right..A while ago we had several deer in the yard and they quickly started to run to the woods…A few seconds later two coyotes were headed in their direction
Deer don,t like coyotes for sure. John Wooters was a gun and reloading writer in the 60s and 70s who lived in Texas and hunted coyotes before it was a thing.I,ve seen pictures of the coyote on the fence in his books and in magazines of the period.It did happen,no doubt.It was a commonly accepted practice at the time,the skins had no value then.

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coyotes last night let us know that they were on the prowl close to the house.
I went out this morning and took some pictures.I want to get a good trail camera any recommendations
After trying most of the major known brand names the best trail cam for me is the GRM. The pictures are super clear, wide angle is the best I've had and it easily picks up motion out to 25 yards. Price point very reasonable at under $100.00.

Attachments

• GRM.JPG
    GRM.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After trying most of the major known brand names the best trail cam for me is the GRM. The pictures are super clear, wide angle is the best I've had and it easily picks up motion out to 25 yards. Price point very reasonable at under $100.00.
Sounds good does it have the feature where it notifies your phone also

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your help we have a hawk that come back to the same tree and would like to get a close up
I added a distant picture of the hawk that comes back frequently

Attachments

• E5CDA67B-E176-4BD8-B3EE-10470A47F589.jpeg
    E5CDA67B-E176-4BD8-B3EE-10470A47F589.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread