Crack in Tigershark coil. Full of water.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A crack developed in my Tesoro Tigershark coil. I was using it in the water when it suddenly became unusable. I eventually found the crack, but it had been submerged. The coil was full of water.

I currently have it hanging in my garage to drip out the water. I'm wondering what else I can do to dry out the interior. Any recommendations for sealing it after? I don't expect it to ever be a dive machine again. But I just use it for wading anyways.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A crack developed in my Tesoro Tigershark coil. I was using it in the water when it suddenly became unusable. I eventually found the crack, but it had been submerged. The coil was full of water.

I currently have it hanging in my garage to drip out the water. I'm wondering what else I can do to dry out the interior. Any recommendations for sealing it after? I don't expect it to ever be a dive machine again. But I just use it for wading anyways.
Let it drip out for a week or so, then put in a bag of dried rice & let it sit another few days. Then scuff up crack with 80 grit sand paper & wipe clean with rubbing alcohol. Then use West Systems toughened 650 epoxy. Seal cracks & seams with that epoxy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Talon

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let it drip out for a week or so, then put in a bag of dried rice & let it sit another few days. Then scuff up crack with 80 grit sand paper & wipe clean with rubbing alcohol. Then use West Systems toughened 650 epoxy. Seal cracks & seams with that epoxy.
Thank you! Do you know if there is a risk of lasting damage to the coil due to corrosion over time?

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you! Do you know if there is a risk of lasting damage to the coil due to corrosion over time?
I'm sure there is, but I would run that coil till it quits working. If it was in salt water it wont take long for corrosion to set it. But also depends how coil was sealed from factory & what they used internally in coil on the coil windings.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I definitely would not rely on that coil as my go to/or main coil, I would also have a new coil on hand in case that coil decides to start acting up.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two part epoxy will seal it

OP
OP
Talon

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I definitely would not rely on that coil as my go to/or main coil, I would also have a new coil on hand in case that coil decides to start acting up.
Sorry if I'm being an idiot here, but can you buy and install a new Tiger Shark coil? I figured for a scuba machine that it would have to be factory installed.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry if I'm being an idiot here, but can you buy and install a new Tiger Shark coil? I figured for a scuba machine that it would have to be factory installed.
Ok I'm not familiar with that machine, you probably are a 100% correct, it probably has to be factory installed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread