Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In 2018, 53% of Americans were cremated instead of buried. The International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association (ICCFA) Identification Guidelines state;

Funeral homes should implement a reliable system for the identification of human remains to give consumers assurance that safeguards are in place to minimize the incidence of misidentification. Further, in the case of a disinterment, or if a flood, earthquake, or other natural disaster disturb the place of interment, the identification and re interment of the human remains would be facilitated by this system.”

Thus, the cremation tag came into existance.

Cremation ovens get up to 1400 – 1800°F in order to break down the bone and teeth. On the other hand, 304 stainless steel is the preferred metal for cremation tags and has a melting point of 2000+°F. This allows the tag to go into the oven with the remains and stay with them through the whole process; and, be finally deposited in the Gulf, for example, and recovered by a Metal Detectorist.

I’d like to share some of my found cremation tags and show just some of the variety that exists. Because I know for a fact that cremation tags are bad luck if kept, I always return the tags to the Gulf once I photo document the find.

I have found 3 main types of cremation tags; the most common is the 304 SS type as noted above that is about 1 ¼” in diameter. The second kind of cremation tag is a thin brass plate of ½” x 1 ¾”, and the third type is a thin brass plate measuring ¾” x 2” (approximate).

Some of the 304 SS cremation tags are shown below from various cities including; East Ridgelawn Crematory in Clifton NJ, Southeastern Crematory in Clearwater Fl, Schoedinger Crematory in Columbus Ohio, Restland Crematory, Southeastern Crematory, and Tri-county Crematory. Finally there is a 304 SS without the name of the crematory or location.
Clearwater Cremation Tag b.jpg
Columbus 2.jpg
Columbus reverse 2.jpg
East Ridgeland Cremation Tag 2020.jpg
Restland 2 2019.jpg
Reverse Restland.jpg
Southeastern Cremation tag.jpg
Tri county cremation tag.jpg
No Name Cremation tag.jpg

Regarding the smaller thin brass plate cremation tags;
There is one from the C & S Crematory, and 2 with just serial numbers.
East Ridgeland Cremation Tag 2020.jpg
Reverse Restland.jpg
No Name Cremation tag.jpg
C and S Crematory tag 022119.jpg
Cremation tag Rectangle.jpg
Rec cremation tag.jpg

Regarding the larger thin brass type of crematory tag, there are 3 from the Palm State Crematory service in Clearwater Florida.

Palm State 3.jpg
Palm State 2 2019.jpg
Palm State Cremation tagg.jpg

Finally, it might be noteworthy that when you find a cremation tag there may be valuable gold nearby; dental gold that is, including charred but intact dental crowns and small dark balls of melted gold dental fillings.

Happy hunting.

Upvote 8

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don,t creep me out or anything,but they should be returned to the sea or place where found out of a respect for the dead.No problem with photoing them for your own info. I wouldn,t want to hunt for any dental gold or stuff like that if I knew it was near a ashes dump,again just respect for the dead,but I don,t condemn anyone who does.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 2018, 53% of Americans were cremated instead of buried. The International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association (ICCFA) Identification Guidelines state;

Funeral homes should implement a reliable system for the identification of human remains to give consumers assurance that safeguards are in place to minimize the incidence of misidentification. Further, in the case of a disinterment, or if a flood, earthquake, or other natural disaster disturb the place of interment, the identification and re interment of the human remains would be facilitated by this system.”

Cremation ovens get up to 1400 – 1800°F in order to break down the bone and teeth. On the other hand, 304 stainless steel is the preferred metal for cremation tags and has a melting point of 2000+°F. This allows the tag to go into the oven with the remains and stay with them through the whole process; and, be finally deposited in the Gulf, for example, and recovered by a Metal Detectorist.

I’d like to share some of my found cremation tags and show just some of the variety that exists. Because I know for a fact that cremation tags are bad luck if kept, I always return the tags to the Gulf once I photo document the find.

I have found 3 main types of cremation tags; the most common is the 304 SS type as noted above that is about 1 ¼” in diameter. The second kind of cremation tag is a thin brass plate of ½” x 1 ¾”, and the third type is a thin brass plate measuring ¾” x 2” (approximate).

Some of the 304 SS cremation tags are shown below from various cities including; East Ridgelawn Crematory in Clifton NJ, Southeastern Crematory in Clearwater Fl, Schoedinger Crematory in Columbus Ohio, Restland Crematory, Southeastern Crematory, and Tri-county Crematory. Finally there is a 304 SS without the name of the crematory or location.
View attachment 2019942 View attachment 2019943 View attachment 2019944 View attachment 2019945 View attachment 2019946 View attachment 2019947 View attachment 2019948 View attachment 2019949 View attachment 2019950
View attachment 2019945 View attachment 2019947 View attachment 2019950 View attachment 2019952 View attachment 2019953 View attachment 2019954

Regarding the larger thin brass type of crematory tag, there are 3 from the Palm State Crematory service in Clearwater Florida.

View attachment 2019955 View attachment 2019956 View attachment 2019957

Finally, it might be noteworthy that when you find a cremation tag there may be valuable gold nearby; dental gold that is, including charred but intact dental crowns and small dark balls of melted gold dental fillings.

Happy hunting.
I have found one tag, that was up against the base of a tree.
After putting little thought or time into it, I quickly buried the thing, right back where it came from - I then noted bone frags in the dirt...!!
R.I.P........! :angel9:

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found one tag, that was up against the base of a tree.
After putting little thought or time into it, I quickly buried the thing, right back where it came from - I then noted bone frags in the dirt...!!
R.I.P........! :angel9:
I've only found one and that was on a recent trip to Atlantic Beach from the Westover Cremation Service. Buried it right back. Finding one was cool but I don't need to find more of them...

Diggen It 1900

Mar 9, 2022
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was very interesting to me, I had no idea they had creamation tags. It is kind of creepy. I will one day be creamated also. If someone finds my tag or dental fillings they can do as they wish with them as I will no longer need them.

Thanks for posting, found it interesting.
Brian

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that found 7 cremation tags in one season. he was detecting shores of the gulf in Fl. Seems a lot of people dump the ashes in the gulf and the waves wash the tags up on the shore

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found my first tonight here in Florida on St Pete Beach. Ugh. 😔

20221208_184939~2.jpg

Bran <><

ThomasHaynes

Aug 25, 2023
It's fascinating to read about your experiences and insights regarding cremation tags. Your dedication to proper identification and respectful handling of these tags is truly commendable.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a few in rock crevices up in the mountains. I just put them back in place, figuring that was their final resting place.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I ask a genuine question for those people who find these tags and don't keep them? I can understand not wanting to keep it because its creepy, but to throw it back "out of respect for the dead" just never made any sense to me. Its not like its a personal item of the deceased, it doesn't have their name on it, and holds no sentimental value to the dead or their living relatives. Its literally just an ID tag so you know the crematorium isn't scamming you by dumping their ashtrays into an urn. Its not like you're defacing headstone that is meant to be displayed in their final resting place. It is literally a piece of trash that the relatives probably didn't even know was in the receptacle. This is a genuine question, I'm not looking for hostile answers.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can I ask a genuine question for those people who find these tags and don't keep them? I can understand not wanting to keep it because its creepy, but to throw it back "out of respect for the dead" just never made any sense to me. Its not like its a personal item of the deceased, it doesn't have their name on it, and holds no sentimental value to the dead or their living relatives. Its literally just an ID tag so you know the crematorium isn't scamming you by dumping their ashtrays into an urn. Its not like you're defacing headstone that is meant to be displayed in their final resting place. It is literally a piece of trash that the relatives probably didn't even know was in the receptacle. This is a genuine question, I'm not looking for hostile answers.
Very valid questions actually.
The first one I found I called the funeral home.
After a curt/snobby reply of "Throw it back in the ocean, we don't want it back."
I actually thought it might of been lost by the family (not realizing it was just in the ashes)
Really it doesn't creep me out, it just makes me think that some tags are kept as a memory of the person some didn't know/care.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a curt/snobby reply of "Throw it back in the ocean, we don't want it back."
I actually thought it might of been lost by the family (not realizing it was just in the ashes)
Really it doesn't creep me out, it just makes me think that some tags are kept as a memory of the person some didn't know/care.
Thanks for the response. If I ever found any I'd definitely keep them. I think it would be a pretty cool/morbid collection to have.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I look at it like I look at unmarked gravestones. They are literally just rocks with no names, no dates, and most have no church records. Families of those deceased people are also probably dead. However, I recently recovered 30 or so slates that were pushed over years ago. As soon as the ground penetrating radar is complete, they will be put back in place, giving those interred the dignity, care, and respect in death that had often been denied them in life. I view the cremation tags the same way. Regardless if the families know they are there or not, they were the final memorial to those who were cremated.
Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 10.04.51 AM.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As soon as the ground penetrating radar is complete, they will be put back in place, giving those interred the dignity, care, and respect in death that had often been denied them in life. I view the cremation tags the same way. Regardless if the families know they are there or not, they were the final memorial to those who were cremated.

Good onya..fixing up those graves will most definitely matter to someone who's loved one may be there. :icon_thumright:

I agree that it is a headstone, of sorts. If someone finds it, it's basically saying "Around here lies a persons remains, as was their wish."

Never found one, but if I did I would put it back right where I found it, and not take it from the site.

Hbot..not being critical of you choosing to keep it...that's just what I would do.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2019942 View attachment 2019943 View attachment 2019944 View attachment 2019945 View attachment 2019946 View attachment 2019947 View attachment 2019948 View attachment 2019949 View attachment 2019950
View attachment 2019945 View attachment 2019947 View attachment 2019950 View attachment 2019952 View attachment 2019953 View attachment 2019954

View attachment 2019955 View attachment 2019956 View attachment 2019957

Happy hunting.
I’m impressed…!
I’ve only found one, and immediately returned it to the spot where I found it…!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put it back, why would you want to keep it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions