tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got to Grand Junction for the night. On the way over I stopped by a mine in Empire, Colorado and only having my smartphone for pictures this little mountain sheep seemed I was good to take its picture from a close distance from the truck. Where I-70 curves east of Junction I really gotta go, so I got off on the Collbran exit and pulled along side Plateau Creek. I noticed some pig tossed some trash down the ditch and I began to relieve myself and heard some branches breaking. Thinking I spooked something I turned around to hopefully catch a glimpse of what it might it be. It was this Brown Bear who only went a short distance in a tree behind me and seemed to be a bit agitated of me disrupting his dinner of garbage someone left. I watched it for a bit and it kept contemplating weather it should come on out of that tree and chase me away from his score of human garbage or not. It was like okay I'm coming down and then well, I better not, because I'm not sure I can whip this human over that delicious trash the Bear Gods left for me. I took a few pictures and let it be.

Attachments

• 20220620_144004.jpg
    20220620_144004.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220620_175122.jpg
    20220620_175122.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 89

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s incredible
The bears are quite active these days and glad to hear all is well.
I wonder if Cubs were close by it would’ve been time to fly
Colorado is so so beautiful
Take care

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s incredible
The bears are quite active these days and glad to hear all is well.
I wonder if Cubs were close by it would’ve been time to fly
Colorado is so so beautiful
Take care
I didn't see any cubs. This would be the 2nd bear I've seen in less than a year now and both in western Colorado. Last bear I saw ran like hell away from me when I stopped to try and get a picture.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see any cubs. This would be the 2nd bear I've seen in less than a year now and both in western Colorado. Last bear I saw ran like hell away from me when I stopped to try and get a picture.

Colorado must be such a beautiful place
Years ago we took the trains from NY to KS to visit relatives I hope someday to get back and see Colorado
Take care

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya know, Grant, if I didn't know better, I could believe that's a young grizzly, looking at that dished-in face.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, Grant, if I didn't know better, I could believe that's a young grizzly, looking at that dished-in face.
Jim

Jim
Really, It sure was a bit unique looking with that cinnamon color coat and it wasn't a very agile tree climber. I thought it odd it didn't panic in a retreat like the few other bears I've come across would normally do. Here's another picture of it.

Attachments

• 20220620_174748.jpg
    20220620_174748.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 39

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have quite a few cinnamon colored black bears here in my area, but I would not dare guess what you saw. I have never seen a grizzly in the wild, so definitely will take you westerners’ word. Great pics.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda different lookin. Haven't seen any bears so far this year, but a lot of moose around.
Over the decades the moose have really flourished in the Rockies all the way from Montana to Northern New Mexico. Saw this one on the east side of Cottonwood Pass in July 2021. Not far west of me along the eastern side of hwy 72 on the front range the moose have been going after hikers more frequently.

Attachments

• 20210721_151837.jpg
    20210721_151837.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 17

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have calves now and there's been a few confrontations here, nothin serious. We had a bull in the parkin lot at work early the other morning so I took Keita out there to see it. This guy is straight outta Africa and don't speak no English yet. He was thrilled. We stopped about 50 yds. back. He started filming it. I taught him the english name, Moose. He's hollerin 'Moose, moose, moose!' That moose turned to face us, lowered it's ears, and that hair stood up on the back, so I told him, Keita, Keita, Keita, quit, we got to move back. (I ain't that great in French either, so I just grabbed him) Only thing I can figure, is this guy is a huge guy, so maybe the moose saw him as a challenge, haha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread