Crushed beer cans make me want to hit myself with my own shovel.

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some are already aware, I’m a newbie.

But this is driving me out of my mind. Using my 540 Vanquish, strong 24-26, shallow, should be good to go, and……….another Busch Light can. Lord Jesus, help me…………

Can any of you guys enlighten me about what I’m just not catching on to? I’m learning as fast as I can, and I have picked up on more than a few tricks over the last few months, but I get fooled time and time again on these things.

What am I missing here?

Upvote 10

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others say it is a little frustrating but those signals you should dig as sooner or later it's something good. Though also depends on the machine some can give subtle clue if it's a can or not. For me I just dig those.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily, those are not as prolific as the pulltabs, so do as others here have said...dig them and get rid of them. You will also encounter what is known as "can slaw" which comes from an aluminum can being shredded by a lawn mower.
Keep in mind to find Gold rings, you will have to dig Aluminum because they are close to each other on the "Electrical Conductance" scale.
As others have said, keep at it and you will be rewarded. One day I dug and removed over sixty pulltabs and the next signal was a Gold class ring.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of times the "strong" signals are not what you are after, its the sharp subtle high tones. Those are sometimes old coins.

Try lifting your coil up a foot or so above these mid 20's signals, if it still sound good its probably a can. Not always though. Another way to tell is the pinpoint function on your detector. If the target is just a blip, it could be a coin or jewelry. If its a blob, its probably a can. Just takes time to learn.

My civil war eagle breastplate came in at an 18, and was only a few inches deep. I just knew I was digging another can or lid. You just never know.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those Crushed Beer can Signals do Turn out to be Walker & Barber Halfs.
One even turned out to be a Clad Ike Dollar.

I've also Dug Clad Quarters under Crushed Beer Cans

So don't be so Quick to let them There.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember a crushed beer can near the surface can prevent you from getting a signal
from something else within 5" of it easy. it all melts together by Sound.

So the more Cans you Remove the More Virgin Ground you Create.
especially if it's loaded with Beer Cans

likely hot zone from 1 can
000aaa.jpg

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discrimination is a great thing without a doubt, but the only foolproof target ID is when it's in your hand. I have never had a half dollar sound like a can (they don't sound as loud with the coil 8" high), but have found other relics with some value that sounded just like a can. I use the "lift coil" method often, if a big signal sounds the same with the coil 8-12" above the ground it is PROBABLY a can, but could be a CW belt plate. The final decision to dig will be your own. He who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff, discrimination on or not. There is far more junk in the ground than valuable objects and junk can mask good targets. If you detect get used to digging a lot to be successful and get used to LOTS of junk.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, just dig them.....especially at the beach. I was at the end of a long hunt, it was getting dark, I was tired, and heading back to my truck, when I got another strong signal that I was "sure" was another aluminum can. I had already dug several, it sounded the same, and it was a bigger than your average coin/ring target, so, I almost passed it by. I almost gave up, but, at 16" down, I finally got it out of the wet sand. It was a wrist watch, but, not just any wristwatch, a Rolex, a genuine Rolex in perfect working condition! I don't pass up those targets for sure now.

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As some are already aware, I’m a newbie.

But this is driving me out of my mind. Using my 540 Vanquish, strong 24-26, shallow, should be good to go, and……….another Busch Light can. Lord Jesus, help me…………

Can any of you guys enlighten me about what I’m just not catching on to? I’m learning as fast as I can, and I have picked up on more than a few tricks over the last few months, but I get fooled time and time again on these things.

What am I missing here?
It's wildly infuriating however you just gotta dig them. For instance a few weeks ago I hit a great 24-26 on my nox that was super shallow. I thought for sure 100% it was a can. Idve even put money on it and lost. Turned out to be a gorgeous US marked horse bridle bit boss that was just under the surface. Sometimes you just never know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread