CT copper found in colonial flats

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was looking through my colonial flat buttons from the past few hunts and came across what I thought was a colonial dandy button. Upon closer inspection I do believe I have found my first colonial copper. Other side is smooth as silk. What do you think? Thanks for looking.

ForumRunner_20141214_213757.png

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless there is more visible in hand than the photo, I don't see enough detail to call it a Connecticut. With the seated figure it could also be a British halfpenny or a Vermont copper. Are any of the legends visible?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a coin once, but you have found a copper slate roof washer. I have found several colonial era center holed coins in a church yard, and the pastor told me that when a part of the roof was repaired they found several similar besides ones made of plain copper. Slate roofs use nails and copper washers to hold each slate in place, and worn out coins filled the bill well in days of yore.

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless there is more visible in hand than the photo, I don't see enough detail to call it a Connecticut. With the seated figure it could also be a British halfpenny or a Vermont copper. Are any of the legends visible?
Nothing else visible. I guess I should have said possible CT copper. The only reason I said CT was I believe they are more common.

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a coin once, but you have found a copper slate roof washer. I have found several colonial era center holed coins in a church yard, and the pastor told me that when a part of the roof was repaired they found several similar besides ones made of plain copper. Slate roofs use nails and copper washers to hold each slate in place, and worn out coins filled the bill well in days of yore.
That really stinks and is really cool at the same time. I never knew they used old coins to do that. Wish they would have just dropped it.:laughing7: All in all it's pretty neat how they re purposed items back in the day.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm pretty sure that's a coin.. Is there any way you can get a clearer picture. If so, try to post a couple with the pc. side-lighted from different sides please..

That is VERY interesting and would explain why there are so MANY coins discovered with holes in the center in them. That's pretty neat historical information.. never heard any explanation better.

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure that's a coin.. Is there any way you can get a clearer picture. If so, try to post a couple with the pc. side-lighted from different sides please..

new1.jpg new2obverse.jpg 1787_ct_copper_miller_33.01_Z.13_rev.jpg

That is VERY interesting and would explain why there are so MANY coins discovered with holes in the center in them. That's pretty neat historical information.. never heard any explanation better.

Best I can do. What I have and what I think I see. LOL.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is it's definitely a coin, the bad is you'll never know exactly what. A British halfpenny would be more common than a CT.

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is it's definitely a coin, the bad is you'll never know exactly what. A British halfpenny would be more common than a CT.

Ahhh....learned something new. Thanks iron! Dindnt think there would be more halfpenny's around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread