Ctx 3030 screen defect

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Just curious how many other people have had screen problems with the ctx3030, I turned my detector on the other day and a 3/8" line going up and down on the screen showed up out of no where, the detector has never been in water or dropped so it makes no sense why it would appear. It conveniently happened after my warrant ran out ofcourse, I shipped it off to be repaired at kellyco yesterday. It's seems like a defect to me, a machine that cost so much shouldn't have issues like this.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491499967.408949.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491499967.408949.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 484

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main cause of pixilation is excessive heat.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one do that and I've seen more than half a dozen posted on the forums. If it's not under warranty get ready to fork out $185 plus shipping that's what Minelab quoted me and a few weeks to get it back.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Well I'm in northern Minnesota and it's not hot outside really, and I won't go detecting if it's over 80-85 degrees anyway, so I don't see how it could be heat related, plus my brother got one he same time I did and we go hunting at the same time and his is just fine... for now anyway lol, when I called they said it would cost around $200-250 depending on what the issue was

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt say yours was caused by heat, only that heat is the number one cause, usually from being left in a hot car.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Yeah that never happens either, someone would probably steal it lol

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats like saying a Porsche should never break down.
Things break and yes it does suck.

Just curious how many other people have had screen problems with the ctx3030, I turned my detector on the other day and a 3/8" line going up and down on the screen showed up out of no where, the detector has never been in water or dropped so it makes no sense why it would appear. It conveniently happened after my warrant ran out ofcourse, I shipped it off to be repaired at kellyco yesterday. It's seems like a defect to me, a machine that cost so much shouldn't have issues like this.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine did that too. Sent it to Minelab and had it back in no time.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Detector arrived at kellyco for repairs this morning, hopefully it won't take too long to fix but I won't get my hopes up since it is out of warranty

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
My CTX did the same thing while under warranty less than 1 1/2 years old not much use either , it is a problem with the LCD, My whites V3i also did the same thing not left in heat or used in heat. I replaced the LCD screen myself as it was out of warranty and an easy job to replace as it uses ribbon cable.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
I just got off the phone with service at kellyco, apparently they are 2 months behind and there is only one tech to fix all the detectors, I'm assuming he meant just one minelab tech not one tech period. I'm not looking forward to go without a detector for over 2 months.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 months!!!

Then ask them if they could loan you a machine until yours is ready?

Minelab could win some bonus points if they had a program like that available.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Yes, 2 months is long, but it can be expected since they are the only repair center in the United States. It's not the repair centers fault, I think minelab needs to just open a couple more shops. Maybe one on the west coast and one in the Midwest. 2 months was probably worst case scenario so I'm still optimistic it won't be as long. The ground here is not frozen anymore so I'm just itching to get out.

Apr 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same issue but luckily it was under warranty. Sent it to minelab and had the screen replaced and they sent it back within 2 weeks

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt with at least a dozen people who use the CTX. One of them had that issue. My issue has been the headphones. I went through 5 sets. Minelab quickly sent out new headphones each time with no cost. I gave up and bought a different brand and never had the problem again. I still have the last set they sent in the original package. It sucks when you're out detecting and your headphones go.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
My headphones also went out while under warranty, and minelab sent a new set right away. 1 out of 12 is like 8% that's high considering how many detectors they sell lol it's obvious they should of tested the detectors more to find all the issues.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Well kellyco has had my detector for 2 months now and I haven't heard anything

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have another machine to detect with, or are you just watching what we find on here?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well kellyco has had my detector for 2 months now and I haven't heard anything

There's a lot of people facing the same thing you are. Minelab repair was destroyed by the sudden loss of their senior repair guy, good guy. Massive heart attack.

They've a backlog - they'll get there. He was irreplaceable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread