East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hunted the other day with the CTX some in the water and some in the wet sand. I found nothing special. This beach is popular for swimming as well as metal detecting, So I was not surprised with a few dollars in change. I knew the battery was low and would need to be charged so when I got home I rinsed the detector off as usual with the hose and particularly hosed off the battery connection because I did not want any sand or grit getting on the O-ring when I took the battery off to charge. I did NOT hit it with a hard blast of water but did specifically rinse that area. I let the detector sit over night to dry off before removing the battery just so I did not get any water dripping into the battery compartment. When I removed the battery the next day this is what I found inside: CTX water leak 003.JPG
Needless to say I was shocked. The battery was just as ugly looking. I carefully cleaned everything with electronic cleaner, paper towel, tooth brush and cotton swabs. The gunk came off but the terminal has been corroded. I assume water got into the housing when I GENTLY hosed it off. I was disappointed. I love the detector but BE CAREFUL when you wash it off, it apparently doesn't take much to breach the seal. I cleaned it, dried it, charged the battery, (I was amazed that it took a charge), put it all back together and it worked fine. Perhaps since the battery was so depleted already that it did not eat the terminal completely. Now I am not recommending anyone wet the internals of their detector as I did, but when I took it hunting today, it produced 4 rings and a bracelet for me. Beach Treasures 003.JPG More goodies than I have gotten on any other hunt this year. One 14k gold at 9.6g, one silver band, one silver band with pearl and one Titanium not in the photo, since I found it for a guy on the beach. He was delighted with the return and showed his appreciation, which bought gas for the next few hunts at the beach. Happy hunting to y'all and do be VERY careful when you wash your CTX. Papa

Attachments

• Beach Treasures 001.JPG
    Beach Treasures 001.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like the water had been in there for longer than one night...I don't know how fast something like that will corrode though...Ive heard of several 3030 battery compartments leaking...great finds...that's a nice chunk of 14k.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be saltwater that got into the battery compartment....hearing that is a big/common issue with the CTX. Nice finds!

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken's CTX 3030 has done the same thing. He is very careful on cleaning the gasket.

OP
OP
Beach Papa

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Ken's CTX 3030 has done the same thing. He is very careful on cleaning the gasket.

Les,
Did Ken send it back to Minelab or just clean it and go on using it? I was able to clean all the surface stuff off the contacts but I certainly did not open the housing to see if anything oozed down into the control box. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Beach Papa

mmjjbb

Greenie
Jun 1, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
White's Goldmaster, Prizm IV, Spectrum, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a Minelab guy, I think there are still some "bugs" that need to be fixed...

Once/if, I hear better posts... I might consider getting one...

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
I can only imagine how you felt when opening up the CTX and finding the corrosion. Glad you were able to clean it up and use it so successfully the next time out. Really would like to know how common this problem is. I've read other posts about it and even talked to Ken about his but even so, is it a small scale problem or something like what the AT PRO went through in its early stages????.... Having other underwater detectors and knowing that they have a very similar means of keeping the water out makes me wonder if just a slightly larger "O" ring wouldn't solve the problem........ and I was sooooo close to buying one!

Cliff

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only imagine how you felt when opening up the CTX and finding the corrosion. Glad you were able to clean it up and use it so successfully the next time out. Really would like to know how common this problem is. I've read other posts about it and even talked to Ken about his but even so, is it a small scale problem or something like what the AT PRO went through in its early stages????.... Having other underwater detectors and knowing that they have a very similar means of keeping the water out makes me wonder if just a slightly larger "O" ring wouldn't solve the problem........ and I was sooooo close to buying one!

Cliff
I would think with the few number of 3030s out there that hearing multiple reports of leaking means a major problem. Maybe it will be a simple fix. Garrett got the AT pro straightened out...they never did say what caused the ATs to leak...The ATs didn't leak into the battery compartment, they leaked into the main housing.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read a Whites Beach machine leaked at the battery gasket.
When should we start the bashing of Whites water machines?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When it becomes a common issue/occurrence, as it apparently has become on the high priced 3030 "submersible to 10ft" machine. And I don't think it's actually "bashing"....more like the discovering/disclosure of a critical issue that needs to be addressed and corrected. As I'm sure it will eventually be addressed/corrected. :icon_thumleft:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one bashed the 3030...I would be a little touchy too if I owned a 2,000 dollar detector that I was afraid was going to leak...so I understand your post.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Easy to figure out why. The oring or gasket is so thin that just minor contraction when it hits the cold water allows the compartment to leak. All other gaskets or orings like the CZ 21 or Whites Surf PI are much thicker. It is really funny they can make such a great machine but miss the boat on a gasket like that. Really seems like most leaks coming out of cold water.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy to figure out why. The oring or gasket is so thin that just minor contraction when it hits the cold water allows the compartment to leak. All other gaskets or orings like the CZ 21 or Whites Surf PI are much thicker. It is really funny they can make such a great machine but miss the boat on a gasket like that. Really seems like most leaks coming out of cold water.
That cold water makes sense.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That thin seal notion really never has worked out very well. I'm sure it all looked good on paper but as so often happens there's just too many other overlooked factors out in the real world. I'm sure they'll make a design adjustment and eventually correct the issue. Appears to be a hot little machine but now a lot of guys are too fearful of the leak issue to consider it.
Me being one of them. :laughing7:

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I will only take mine out a foot above the coil. I am not taking a chance with that little rubber band seal and two claps that open easy. Some had problems with the Surf PI hitting their side and opening and they are much tighter then the CTX. The CTX is a hot machine in salty wet sand and I can't wait for the fix. Just hope they don't give us a rubber bag to wrap around it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will only take mine out a foot above the coil. I am not taking a chance with that little rubber band seal and two claps that open easy. Some had problems with the Surf PI hitting their side and opening and they are much tighter then the CTX. The CTX is a hot machine in salty wet sand and I can't wait for the fix. Just hope they don't give us a rubber bag to wrap around it.

I have a friend who was doing quite well with his CTX - even in the saltwater, rather impressive, was even tempting me. But....you guessed it....he eventually had the same issue even though he did his best to keep it clean. He should be getting it back any day now and he says he'll clean it like they suggested and keep right on drowning it. :laughing7: :dontknow:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Submarines cost Millions and they still have a chance at leaking LOL.
I took my gasket out today and thought to myself it should be wider and the clamps should clamp down tighter. But no problems so far for me. I am thinking maybe a 3/16 or 1/8 wide gasket would of been better. They probaly still could do it if the clamps wouldn't break off from the force of the wider Gasket.
If you worry about your Detector leaking then water hunting isn't for you. I found myself thinking the same thing for awhile when I used a Excal,and a Fisher CZ21. Then I just thought if it is going to happen it will and then I will deal with it.

I am surprised no one has complained about the USB port leaking yet?

And if someone really wants a THICKER Gasket why not buy two of them and clamp them down? It should make a 3/16" seal with two of them in there. Who will be the tester of this great BrainStorm ;)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread