Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have me thinking sir.
Mine had the shut down issue, sent in, did it again, tossed into corner.
Now 6 yrs later my :BangHead: is waining somewhat.

OP
OP
Robinb

Robinb

Feb 10, 2016
In the sun
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 and
Excalibur II with 15" NEL coil
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You have me thinking sir.
Mine had the shut down issue, sent in, did it again, tossed into corner.
Now 6 yrs later my :BangHead: is waining somewhat.
worth a good look at those connectors.

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tore into mine for coin cell battery replacement yesterday and found your video on YouTube using the search function, helped me out as Iā€™m just a DIYā€™er. The ribbon cable connection was my toughest challenge, and the control box was as far as I went. Thank you

Then I see the video here, timing is everything I reckon.

CR 1220 is battery model btw for anyone wanting to do this task.

Attachments

• CTXcoincell.jpeg
    CTXcoincell.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Robinb

Robinb

Feb 10, 2016
In the sun
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 and
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Glad you got job done. Just make sure your seal is spotless before joining together the shell.

I almost put new battery in mine but did not have a spare quality brand one at home. Would not put cheap unbranded in. These cause no end of grief. How long did it last as I must be coming towards end of service life of battery?

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my machine since 2012, I figured it was time and I've had some erratic issues lately. The factory battery from Minelab was a Renata brand. Haven't been out in the field with it yet.

OP
OP
Robinb

Robinb

Feb 10, 2016
In the sun
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 and
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
I canā€™t recall when I got this machine as mine lab replaced my original some years ago with new on. Renta is good brand of battery. I must get one at some point soon. If machine is erratic it would be worth checking the connection from the 2 boxes. This was my problem. The battery should be there to store settings and waypoints

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I helped my situation out on my CTX performance that I described as erratic. This is the first time Iā€™ve taken the connection from the control box to the display apart, I cleaned all the connectors with cleaner and applied a small dab of dielectric grease also and it sure is stable now. The battery tested at 3v but after 10 years I feel good about changing it out too. Another plus is Iā€™m not scared to tear it down now.

HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the connector/plug end.

inside where solder is, thats sealed with resin.
Well I have to thank you shout out to you sir.:headbang::hello2::occasion14::icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:
Even though I didn't even take a screw out of the machine.
You got me inspired to do the rip down of the machine-check to see if things looked clean/connected.
So I found the machine, a coil, tools and put down in the operating theatre in the basement.
I slid the lower control; unit back, then depressed the tab back to take all the way off the slide, and there wasn't anything connected.
That got me wondering, on the why, so I hooked up the connection to the head, then the coil cable, threw in a new set of AA's into the machine and tried to turn it on.
Oh that sweet sound of the start up, oh it massaged the most inner parts of the ear/thought process.
I couldn't believe it!:hello2:
20211203_171359.jpg

Now here's the strange part, this machine was sent in for warranty, and the repair sheet stated a new board.
Got it back late in the PM-tested it(I remember it kind of sputtered-but did work on the second try)-packed it-flew to England-unpacked it-and it didn't work again.
A buddy helped go over the machine, switched his coil over to mine, even rechecked the cable connectors.
On the return I tossed it the corner-dug it out a few times to try to power it up and nothing.
I know by now most are wondering why I didn't send it back in for a warranty repair.
Life is strange-duties/the postal rates/time/life-and a deep down pi$$'d off feeling.:BangHead:

I'm totally chuffed that it powered up, though it has me :icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch: also on the why's.
Now just the question nags me, just enjoy the bonding of an old friend-let bygones be bygones.
It's been in storage (hot/cold) and 6.5 yrs on top of previous yrs for the internal battery.
How do I check it-put a program in-I can't remember too much about anything now with the operating systems.
Never got into the waypoints (thought that was a useless option) so none were ever entered.
Do a rip down and change out the battery, check the connectors/wires/cables all out over the down detecting months.
Or just do the thoughts and dreams of all the sites one can go to try to suck a deep keeper out?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread