Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two words-----Cohiba Esplendida

I quit dipping, the boss said I am not allowed those either, but now that you said it, I can smell them.

Think she would notice just one?

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuba ratified the UNESCO Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritageback in 2008. If you read the Convention wording, there is no wiggle room in regards commercial exploitation or sale of submerged cultural artifacts (basically anything man made which has been underwater for more than 100 years).

There won't be any legal salvage permits issued in Cuba.

Governments can change and cancel treaties, but decisions for gold in the seabed have already been taken (unfortunately).
Black Hand is back.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I wonder how the Cubans got hold of an American made JW Fishers Proton 3 magnetometer ??

For some reason, this strikes me as funny...

That Proton 3 belongs to Ed Burtt. That's him in the picture. He was using it down there.

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Proton 3 belongs to Ed Burtt. That's him in the picture. He was using it down there.

Well, that explains that!

Don't get me wrong, I wish nothing but the best for Mr. Burtt and any other salvors who attempt to do business in Cuba.

I just don't see, given the current state of affairs, how independent salvors could engage in recovery operations except through some sort of contract agreement with the Cuban government where the recovered artifacts are not sold on the open market. This might well be an option (nudge, nudge, wink wink).

Perhaps, as Vox suggested, Cuba might be willing to jettison the Underwater Heritage Treaty and open up their waters to the free market !!

Boy, wouldn't that be something !!

Stranger things have happened, I guess.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Pete, I wish Ed Burtt Luck when he goes to Cuba. However, he may be a day late and a dollar short. Leber Perez, another Treasure Hunter from Key West moved to Cuba over a year ago. Knowing Leber, I would not doubt that he moved to Cuba to do something other then to open a Taco Stand. I think he also knew about the wreck near Havana that Jack Haskins and Ed Burtt wanted to salvage.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pete, I wish Ed Burtt Luck when he goes to Cuba. However, he may be a day late and a dollar short. Leber Perez, another Treasure Hunter from Key West moved to Cuba over a year ago. Knowing Leber, I would not doubt that he moved to Cuba to do something other then to open a Taco Stand. I think he also knew about the wreck near Havana that Jack Haskins and Ed Burtt wanted to salvage.

No problem. Ed said that there are over 400 shipwrecks along the coast west of Havana. There is an estimated 1,000 wrecks around the island. There's enough for everybody.

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The only way to dig in Cuba is to get as far away from Havana, rent a skif and talk to the oldest fisherman in the village .non of the big boys will ever be allowed to set up shop. This was the way the old Jew would do it and how he taught me

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Governments can change and cancel treaties, but decisions for gold in the seabed have already been taken (unfortunately).
Black Hand is back.
So, does that mean you can salvage or not?

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, does that mean you can salvage or not?

Dear friends, if in the United States is difficult to recover from the problems of the National Parks, NOAA, UNESCO, the dogmatic archaeologists, what can happen in Cuba tomorrow? The answer is obvious! Nothing! As in other countries where you could but no longer can. Do not delude by Cuba. Black Hand act, and fast!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a test pilot friend with a very large seaplane.He said if you bring up over a million dollars worth of treasure he will fly it out of any 3rd world country for 65% of it.He will meet you at a gps cord offshore for the transfer.The transfer has to be quick for obvious reasons.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I have a test pilot friend with a very large seaplane.He said if you bring up over a million dollars worth of treasure he will fly it out of any 3rd world country for 65% of it.He will meet you at a gps cord offshore for the transfer.The transfer has to be quick for obvious reasons.

WHat a deal!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The UK Receiver of Wrecks is much cheaper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread