Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More likely than not the man merely read some pirate themed literature which sparked the spirit of adventure in him. Not having a ship he simply retold a generic pirate tale from a Penny Dreadful he'd read so the US government would be duped into providing him a free ship to sail on. Knowing that there's plenty of lost loot in the Mississippi the man may have figured it's a great place to look, and he's right, but there is no X to mark the spot on that river. No dying pirate recounted his tale. And no "twenty-two tons of silver and gold coin" 🤣

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't surprise me, especially if there was a rumor of treasure and someone dug there under the radar

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the pirate location once, a treasure hunter sent me GE maps. He said the one island is off limits to the ordinary person but could get an access pass through his dad. Interesting also, up the river where the old hideout was, some old Spanish carved oaks visible near the water. Someone apparently floated in a backhoe digging up the area. Dirt was dumped in the water out from carved trees forming a small island (wasn't there before). Gangsters later used it for their activities.

Last edited:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Hmmm...considering the "exact location" was pointed out by the "dying man", what was this deathbed pirate doing for the 20 years since the ship supposedly sunk?

And the "iMarshal's office"? That makes it sound like they should have a robot...or at least a web page...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread