Greenie
May 16, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III, Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious how many of you seasoned detectorists
handle the situation that happens when you find something special on a property where you have permission to detect.

I'm fairly new to detecting, and have spent most of my time on the property of a close friend who doesn't care if we keep the relics/items we uncover.

I'm trying to be brave now and ask for permission at other places ( I am shy and I find this part horrifying). I am not sure how to tactfully ask if I can keep items found. I did draft up a letter because it seems so much easier and I just sort of left that part out. I just don't want to end up in an even more uncomfortable situation if I were to find something wonderful and had never addressed it with the property owner.

Do you clarify beforehand what the plan will be if you find something? Do you just get permission and gloss over it?
My guess is that you are all much more bold than me, and you just tell the owner that you are going keep the treasure!

Thanks, I appreciate any and all advice. I learn so much from this treasurenet crew!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, did it make any sound?

Or, if you find an old valuable coin in his yard and no one sees it but you, does it exist?

Yes, to both, but the point is, no hurt feelings if you just keep it quiet and the agreement was that you could keep anything you find.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting question! In my opinion, if you are given permission to detect, then anything you find is yours. That said, things could get sticky if you find something super valuable and the property owner wants a slice. You could get in to a legal squabble over the nature and extent of the permission.

If when you ask for permission, the landowner says he would like to see what you find, then you should show him. If the landowner asks you to find a certain item like a piece of jewelry as a condition of the permission, and you do find it, you should return that item. If the landowner simply says "yes" to your request, then just go detect. Be sure to thank them before you leave.

Some folks give landowners some of their finds as a "thank you." I have slipped a few Civil War bullets to land owners and their kids before, especially when I find a bunch. I try not to make a habit out of giving landowners my finds. Personally, I spend the time researching, buying gear, fuel, dried meats, and beer so that I can keep whatever I find. If the landowner asked to see and cherry-pick my finds, I would thank him for his time and go hunt elsewhere.

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure a lot of us have held back things that we don't necessarily want to show the owners just in case they decide they want to keep it, but I would show them the other things, newer coins, parts of toys, kid rings, etc. Be sure to show them the trash you've pick up as well, then they'll know that your not just finding keepers but helping to clear their yard of trash as well. For the most part, you're going to be out there all alone anyways, so no one will no what you've picked up, unless the owner is hounding you and I've never seen that happen.

As far as getting permissions, you never know until you try. I've gotten a lot of rejections, but once you get a permission for a new place it's great. You never know what your going to find and that's the fun part.

Good luck and here's to finding great things.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not expecting treasure. Or something special.
I'm detecting. A coin older than me would be nice. If the landowner expects more than one to be recovered I'd probably ask why they think such. (?)

People expect "treasure" to be on thier property because of ridiculous shows on t.v.. I'm not encouraging such daydreams. More so when there is no other reason.(!)

I had a permission tell me he wanted half of the jar or chest of gold coins in exchange for letting me hunt.
I laughed and said o.k.. But I get to keep the container too....

Depends on the owner and what the results of a hunt is if no agreement was in advance.
If a family member lost something memorable and it was mentioned prior , I'd offer it up if recovered.
A pot of gold? If no mention prior to my hunting , I'd be sure the permission was a little better off somehow . Not saying gold split or mention of a pot of gold on the spot. But certainly a nice percentage of $ worth later. Probably. But that's me. I appreciate permissions for a variety of things besides detecting. When successful it's only natural to share. When not successful , the permission is still appreciated.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The letter sounds like a good idea because it gives you a chance to clearly spell out what your intentions are for their property and how you will treat it. (It also minimizes fumbling for words like I tend to do when I get self conscious.) I wonder if posting it on community bulletin boards, coffee shops, stores, etc. might garner you some permissions, especially if people know you but don't know you detect.

When asking for permission I have thought of offering the owner the first item found (usually a pull tab or aluminum can) if they bring the subject up. When you are upfront and forthright with the landowners they will appreciate it and might be willing to mention that to other possible permissions, sort of like a reference. What goes around comes around.

Personally I think the UK has a good way of dealing with it by sharing any large monetary find between the detectorist and land owner.

Best of luck with gaining your permissions!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really worry about it too much, as finding a hugely priced item is extremely difficult. When I approach a landowner I simply ask if they want anything or want to see what I find. Almost all the time the answer is "no". That said, I offer that if I find a cache of gold or silver coins we will split them, the definition of "cache" for the gold is 3 or more in the same day. Owner gets first pick. The silver coin cache I found, well the owner of the land is my best friend and they didn't care at all and didn't want any of it. It wasn't worth a lot and no rare coins in the lot. As far as finding a cache of gold, my cat will take over typing for me on this site first. I never expect that to happen.

OP
OP
Heidi-

Heidi-

Greenie
May 16, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III, Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! that helps a lot, you pretty much reinforced what I was thinking. I like the idea of a quiet, low profile, but still honest and thankful approach.

Besides, half the time what I find to be " treasure " the land owner thinks is trash ( like a really cool old sardine tin). 99% of what I find is sentimental or cool, but not actually financially valuable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread