Current Map of "Adams Diggings" ERA on Google Earth (ONGOING)

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the current project I'm working on with Adam's Diggings and all of the versions of the stories I've come across from 1865-1930 (so far). For now it's just points of reference and the roads as well as some scout trails available during that time period. I took out all current county lines, places, roads, and labels in order to focus on JUST the points from that snapshot in time. I feel it makes it much easier for me to understand all of the story tellers as the describe what they could only see in THEIR lifetime. Enjoy.

Current Map Photo (Ongoing) of Adams Diggings Era.png

OP
OP
Ironwill

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better Larger version of the map with rivers identified...
Current Map Photo (Ongoing) of Adams Diggings Era.png

Use the same LEGEND KEY above for identifications.

OP
OP
Ironwill

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay I've updated this one with more main roads in that time....This is the most complete I can offer without help...

Adams Map.png

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The route from Wingate south followed the Rio Puerco to join the Rio Grande far south of what you show on your map.

Also the North Star route along the Black Mountains was often used all the way from southeast of Sapillo Park North to Pie Town.

Garypederson

Aug 4, 2020
Payson, Az, Avila beach, Ca, Naples, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug & Whites Spectra 3vi & Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the current project I'm working on with Adam's Diggings and all of the versions of the stories I've come across from 1865-1930 (so far). For now it's just points of reference and the roads as well as some scout trails available during that time period. I took out all current county lines, places, roads, and labels in order to focus on JUST the points from that snapshot in time. I feel it makes it much easier for me to understand all of the story tellers as the describe what they could only see in THEIR lifetime. Enjoy.

View attachment 1897048
Better Larger version of the map with rivers identified...
View attachment 1898305

Use the same LEGEND KEY above for identifications.

cuzimloony

Apr 9, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Series
Minelab Gold Monster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ironwill. Enjoyed all the articles you posted as to LAD. Are you aware that the diggings were found and that the discoverer wrote a very interesting book on how he found it. Gary
Go on..........

OP
OP
Ironwill

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ironwill. Enjoyed all the articles you posted as to LAD. Are you aware that the diggings were found and that the discoverer wrote a very interesting book on how he found it. Gary
Hello Gary. I am fully aware that several people have claimed to have found the Lost Adams Diggings. However, not one of them have shown pictures of the hidden fireplace hearth, where the miners hid their gold. Nor did they show the countless nuggets that the area is reputed to hold. To give you context of your comment... Do you know how many people wrote books about solving Forrest Fenn's treasure hunt The Thrill Of The Chase, when the treasure was STILL out there? The answer is 6. SIX books of how the poem was solved to reveal the treasure location, which for SOME REASON or ANOTHER...looted, stolen, relocated, etc, etc. Then..in 2020 the treasure is found, taken to Forrest, identified and announced.

I am glad you enjoyed the articles, as I was so excited in discovering them. Its really fun reading historical records of peoples' attempts to find a treasure that is still out there...whether it's newspapers or books. Will

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's what happened.

The diggings were in Bear Creek below Pinos Altos, NM. The Spanish had been sporadically trying to exploit Bear Creek from at least the early 1800s, or maybe earlier, as they had already occupied Santa Rita del Cobre, only ten miles away to the east. However, the Chihene Apaches constantly harassed the Spanish at Santa Rita, where they had a fort, and especially at unprotected Pinos Altos, which was very favored ground and a stronghold for the natives.

Jacob Snively was the "Dutchman" in several of the LAD legends. A Confederate operative, he and two pals located the Bear Creek placers in 1860, touching off a big rush into the area - 700 miners by the end of the year. The diggings were rich, but the Apaches drove the Anglos out of the territory by late 1861. The camp was abandoned until 1867, when the Apache trouble ended and mining resumed again.

During the abandonment, the Chihene leader Mangas Coloradas was assassinated in early 1863 and Fort West was soon thereafter established on the Gila River near the mouth of Bear Creek. In late 1863 the Stevens Expedition was organized in Arizona to exploit the known Bear Creek placers, with Snively being the key member since he knew exactly where the richest placer pockets were - after all, he was their discoverer in 1860.

Was the character known as Adams in the mining party? Hard to say for certain, but quite possibly. If not, he certainly knew the history, as did many in the Southwest at that time.

The mining party arrived at Bear Creek and went to work. A lot of gold was recovered. It's reported that Snively had about 40 pounds of placer with him when he left early to return to Arizona, as he sensed more Apache trouble brewing. He was correct, because the Chihene soon thereafter massacred all but a couple of the miners to avenge Mangas's recent murder and to attempt to keep Anglos out of the Pinos Altos area.

Pinos Altos and the Bear Creek placers resumed mining four years later in 1867 and produced millions of $. The placers mostly played out by the early 1900s, even though the creek was sporadically active until about 1980.

The reason the LAD remains such a mystery for the curious is the number of conflicting stories about the diggings - most of them hybrids from alleged testimony from some guy named Adams who allegedly was there.

The solution seems quite obvious - the diggings were never lost.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread