Custer's Last Stand

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read many books on Custer's last stand and most of the reports from the Indian side are pretty much the same.

Chief Red Fox.jpg

Battle of Little Big Horn, Memoirs of Chief Red Fox (1870-1976) .
"I was six years and fourteen days old at the time of the Custer fight. As it was told to me by my father Chief Black Eagle and my mother White Swan, the sister of Chief Crazy Horse….We left Pine Ridge [Reservation] the eight day of May 1876. Arrived in Montana about June the fifth. My people expected trouble they divided up into three different villages. In case of attack, they would not be caught in a trap. They knew Custer had left fort Lincoln for the Little Big Horn. Chief Gall and Chief Two-Moons sent word to my uncle Chief Crazy Horse that they were on their way to join him in case of trouble with Custer they hatted him for the killing of the fifty three old women men and children and for burning their village several years before [This is a reference to the battle of Washita River, Nov. 27, 1868] and he Raped Black Kettle fourteen year old daughter she gave berth to a boy who is known as Yellow Hawk that they claim is his son from that attack….

On Sunday morning June 25th 1876 Custer…divided his forces into four groups send Reno to attack my people from the southwest of the Big Horn River. Benteen from the northeast. Godfry and McDugal with the supply train….He told them he would…make the attack at four o'clock….About 2 PM…we heard shots fired later we were told that my father and Chief Standing Bear had blocked Captain Benteen from crossing the river. Ghost Dogs, and Crow King had blocked Reno, and his men Stinking Bear had Blocked Godfre and McDougal.

About 3 o'clock Custer appeared and my uncle Crazy Horse rode out and then retreated like they were afraid. Custer came riding on then. Chief Gall came out to the left side of Custer and Two Moons and his Cheyennes came to the right of Custer. When Custer saw this he started his charge then he dismounted, placed his men on high grounds his horses placed under senteries the Indians made a circle around him then rode their horses across the circle kicking up dirt [to] stampede his horses. Then the Indians made their attack. Custer's bugle sounded for the sentries to bring the horses but they had been killed his bugle sounded for retreat but…most of his men and horses were killed. some said he was the last one to die but that is not true. Captain Kegho was the last man to be killed and his horse Comanche was the only horse alive….my people said no one knows who killed [Custer] or when he fell. they say the battle lasted forty minutes….the Indians had better guns than the soldiers good horsemen and knew the country and planned how to fight the battle…."

Last edited:
Upvote 27

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of folks felt that Custer was going to seek the office of the presidency, that if he could have a great victory over the Native Americans, this would give him political favor in this Endeavour. The Native Americans had other plans. They were the First, Real "Homeland Security". I heard a funny joke years ago in regards to Custer and the Battle of the Little Big Horn and the painting in the cyclorama depicting this battle during the dedication. I don't dare tell it here. Has anyone else heard this?

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Haven't heard THAT one devildog but did hear this one.
A Scout came to Custer and said "General, I have good news and I have bad news."
Custer said "What's the bad news?"
"There's 5000 Indians over that hill and they're gonna come over here and kill us all." The Scout replied
"What's the good news?" Custer asked.
The Scout said, "We don't have to go back across Kansas. Good luck..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread