CW Battlefield - Did OK, but check out my friends EXPLOSIVE find!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CW Battlefield - Did OK, but check out my friend's EXPLOSIVE find!

So I had some fun the last couple of days at a Union camp and a different battlefield. Mechanical pencil, Eagle I cuff, Flower button with gold guilt, two gauntlet buttons found together, bullets and frags.
IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3085.JPG

But good golly, my buddy pulled out a live shekel shell!

P4130276.JPG P4130281.JPG P4130280.JPG

Upvote 6

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This makes me want to find a Civil War site around me here in Houston to hunt....Great finds....

Captin Scrap

May 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX, & ExCal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man your lucky. .. We don't battle fields up in NJ. Congrats.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relics........any chance this UXO can still explode? Looks intact with the fuse still???
Not sure of what explosives they used, but some degrade over time and become unstable.........

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great stuff there. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great relics........any chance this UXO can still explode? Looks intact with the fuse still???
Not sure of what explosives they used, but some degrade over time and become unstable.........

Yes, it had blackpowder and a few have exploded over the years, but never heard of it happening spontaneously. Usually an inexperienced guy improperly disarming it. He will disarm this himself (He's done a lot of them). I would NEVER attempt it, but here's his method: He soaks the shell in water for a couple of weeks. Then he backs out the INNER fuse (Brass against brass - no sparks) with a tool he made for that purpose. If the fuse comes out, he'll again soak the shell (with an open fuse hole for a couple more weeks. Then he'll poke a brass rod in the fuse hole (Again brass - no sparks) and "pick" the powder out which should be like mud. If he hits dry powder it goes back in soak. Repeat until no more powder can be scraped out. Reinstall the fuse.

BTW - This is NOT a "How to disarm a shell". I have never done it, and I know just enough to get myself killed. Please, please PLEASE do not disarm a shell yourself, unless you know what the heck you're doing. I had this friend disarm an intact Hotchkiss shell for me and he saved the powder for me. Looks as good as the day it was made.

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it had blackpowder and a few have exploded over the years, but never heard of it happening spontaneously. Usually an inexperienced guy improperly disarming it. He will disarm this himself (He's done a lot of them). I would NEVER attempt it, but here's his method: He soaks the shell in water for a couple of weeks. Then he backs out the INNER fuse (Brass against brass - no sparks) with a tool he made for that purpose. If the fuse comes out, he'll again soak the shell (with an open fuse hole for a couple more weeks. Then he'll poke a brass rod in the fuse hole (Again brass - no sparks) and "pick" the powder out which should be like mud. If he hits dry powder it goes back in soak. Repeat until no more powder can be scraped out. Reinstall the fuse.

BTW - This is NOT a "How to disarm a shell". I have never done it, and I know just enough to get myself killed. Please, please PLEASE do not disarm a shell yourself, unless you know what the heck you're doing. I had this friend disarm an intact Hotchkiss shell for me and he saved the powder for me. Looks as good as the day it was made.

Dunno, seems like a small hammer would be quicker. ;)

Nice saves!

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Nice Group of Relics, the only Relic's that I have found is on the Beach in June 2013- One is this 6 th Corp Badge, an undentified Horny thing ( it has 2 Porpoise in the bottom of the shield, one on each side, and some flat buttons- Grand Ma Ma Approves of my Beach spot,
th_DSCN0787.jpg
th_Beach2BckBadgejpg.jpg
th_Beach2Buckle5Claws.jpg
th_b611af63-3c9c-490e-8ae9-6a1a22742206.jpg
th_CoinampButtonDisplay2.jpg
Buttons are on the Left and coins on the right

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonder if the "horny thing" is a holder for sheet music, like for a military band?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread