CW War Buttons, Virginia State seal buttons, and more...

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
[FONT=&quot]With the excellent weather this weekend, decided to spend it swinging. Was well pleased with the finds. It's not quantity sometimes but quality. No coins to speak of but made up for it with buttons! The top is a big ol tombac that is always fun to dig. After that a nice [/FONT][FONT=&quot]colonial[/FONT][FONT=&quot] flat button, a lot going on with that one in terms of fancy (at least for me). Then...Civil War galore! Two varying sized General Service buttons that are quite fragile but still there. Also pulled my first two Confederate Virginia State Seal buttons!! The first is a bit worn but nice back mark and the second is a real beauty and I think possibly rare as the sword is pointed up on that one? Last but not least...some shoe buckle frameage. With the exception of the tombac, all finds thereafter found in one place. I'd say a great spot indeed![/FONT][FONT=&quot] HH!
-Hunter

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

[/FONT]

Attachments

• IMG_5549.JPG
    IMG_5549.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 251
  • IMG_5550.JPG
    IMG_5550.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_5551.JPG
    IMG_5551.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_5552.JPG
    IMG_5552.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_5553.JPG
    IMG_5553.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5554.JPG
    IMG_5554.JPG
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5555.JPG
    IMG_5555.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5556.JPG
    IMG_5556.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5557.JPG
    IMG_5557.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5558.JPG
    IMG_5558.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_5559.JPG
    IMG_5559.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
Upvote 24

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got to love quality over quantity hunts, the soils were so kind to the Virginia State Seal button, love the patina!
Congrats on the hunt and all the best if a return hunt happens.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Virginia State Buttons are nice but...
I have a question on the ''flat button, a lot going on with that one in terms of fancy (at least for me)''
What metal do you think it's made of?

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[FONT=&quot]With the excellent weather this weekend, decided to spend it swinging. Was well pleased with the finds. It's not quantity sometimes but quality. No coins to speak of but made up for it with buttons! The top is a big ol tombac that is always fun to dig. After that a nice colonial flat button, a lot going on with that one in terms of fancy (at least for me). Then...Civil War galore! Two varying sized General Service buttons that are quite fragile but still there. Also pulled my first two Confederate Virginia State Seal buttons!! The first is a bit worn but nice back mark and the second is a real beauty and I think possibly rare as the sword is pointed up on that one? Last but not least...some shoe buckle frameage. With the exception of the tombac, all finds thereafter found in one place. I'd say a great spot indeed! HH!
-Hunter

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

[/FONT]
That’s a nice group of recoveries. Congratulations on your finds!

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Your Virginia State Buttons are nice but...
I have a question on the ''flat button, a lot going on with that one in terms of fancy (at least for me)''
What metal do you think it's made of?
Cru,

This is a pewter button. Don't find too many of those and even fewer that are decorated nicely. Most are flaking away but was happy with this save...now when compared to Cru finds...might as well be a scrappie! I will also tell you this: if I ever get cross the pond, i'm looking you guys up and we goin detectin!

Best,
Hunter

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[FONT=&quot]With the excellent weather this weekend, decided to spend it swinging. Was well pleased with the finds. It's not quantity sometimes but quality. No coins to speak of but made up for it with buttons! The top is a big ol tombac that is always fun to dig. After that a nice colonial flat button, a lot going on with that one in terms of fancy (at least for me). Then...Civil War galore! Two varying sized General Service buttons that are quite fragile but still there. Also pulled my first two Confederate Virginia State Seal buttons!! The first is a bit worn but nice back mark and the second is a real beauty and I think possibly rare as the sword is pointed up on that one? Last but not least...some shoe buckle frameage. With the exception of the tombac, all finds thereafter found in one place. I'd say a great spot indeed! HH!
-Hunter

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

[/FONT]
Wow what an awesome dig. Congratulations on your recoveries!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru,

This is a pewter button. Don't find too many of those and even fewer that are decorated nicely. Most are flaking away but was happy with this save...now when compared to Cru finds...might as well be a scrappie! I will also tell you this: if I ever get cross the pond, i'm looking you guys up and we goin detectin!

Best,
Hunter
I thought it looked pewter, which is why I asked. Very unusual.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your guess about your "raised sword" Virginia button is correct... its VA State Seal emblem precedes the lowered-sword version you also found.

Interesting that both of them have a "Scovills & Co." backmark. The company used that name from 1840 to 1850. So, your raised-sword version, being earlier, was made closer to 1840. Your lowered-sword button was made closer to 1850 (but no later).

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
-Hunter

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php