D.B. Cooper update

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im confused -
where did they get the originating serial numbers from?
Why would cash with recorded serial numbers be on a aircraft.
Im sure theres an explanation but would like to know
Sorry to sound so ignorant
Brady

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was Marked Ransome money From the FBI

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1971, D.B. Cooper hijacked and threatened to blow up an airliner, extorted $200,000 from its owner, Northwest Orient, then leaped from the airborne 727 with 21 pounds of $20 bills strapped to his torso.

1-1-Sketch-of-DB-Cooper.jpg

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/scams/DB_Cooper/index.html

and more

http://www.google.com/search?q=db+cooper+story&rls=com.microsoft:en-us

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
It will eventually be solved as the FBI has DB Cooper's DNA.

Some think that he hit the water and quickly drowned if he wasn't already dead- hence the money floating downstream.

George

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
This would make for an interesting movie plot:

What if there really was no "D.B. Cooper", but instead the crew of the plane cooked up the highjacking and ransom, then threw a parachute and a wad of bills out the door to throw off investigators, while they hid the money on the plane to divvy up later...? (Wow, I'm good!)

K

Kentucky Kache

Zephyr said:

What if there really was no "D.B. Cooper", but instead the crew of the plane cooked up the highjacking and ransom, then threw a parachute and a wad of bills out the door to throw off investigators, while they hid the money on the plane to divvy up later...? (Wow, I'm good!)

I think Cooper was real, but that WOULD make a good movie plot. Good thinking.

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
Check out... "Without a Paddle" funny movie

After their friend dies, three men decide to fulfill their childhood promise by going on a camping expedition for the lost D.B. Cooper bounty, with calamitous results.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Bunny Tails said:
So the FBI didn't record all of the serial numbers of the money handed over to Cooper. What stupidity on the part of the FBI. Someday some hiker is going to find Cooper's skeleton. I hope it's soon, I'd like to have an ending to this story. I remeber so well when it happened. He started a whole new and unpleasant trend - skyjackings.

Old saying from our area FBI = Fr*#ken Bunch of Idiots. Ya gotta love the FIBIs :-\ Your tax dollars hard at work ::)

yamazues

Feb 18, 2014
Philippines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my scenario of D.B.Cooper highjacking.
Prompted by NSA, CIA or FBI possibly to alert airports about security problems, or by financial gain by a floundering electronics corporation Litton Industries, the then CEO Roy Ash was D.B.Cooper.
Roy Ash, an Army Air Corps veteran from WW2, buys a plane ticket underneath the name of a cartoon character D.B.Cooper. He highjacks the plane with a fake bomb. He chose the Army parachute since he was well familiar with it. He opened the back cargo door which was how old Army was trained to jump from. He threw out the bag of money and all other evidence over the mountains of Washington as a decoy to FBI. Unfortunately the bag of money hit the river. What are odds of that? Then, Roy Ash(D.B.Cooper) remained onboard the plane until they were over Nevada, where he safely parachuted out onto a flat plateau area since it was night. On his way back to Work at Litton Industries in Santa Clara, CA, he stopped in Sacramento to mail the taunting letter.
Was it about airport security or financial gain? That is the question since the new airport scanners used electronic components from Litton industries. It was never about the measly $200,000 because Litton made millions on the new contracts.
IMG_0185.JPG IMG_0186.JPG

yamazues

Feb 18, 2014
Philippines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fun thought, but reality is the Federal Reserve prints money sequentially number coded for each bank where issued. None of the 'measly' $200,000 showed up except for the few bills found on the river bank.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie Farrel and his team started out with some good clues, but it all went fubar ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Cooper_(comics)

Dan Cooper comic book 2.jpg

published in french only.

D.B. Cooper: Everything you need to know in 5 minutes

"He made the very unusual request for "negotiable American currency" unlike most Americans"

I believe this was 'bout as close as they ever got.......
http://www.air-america.org/index.php/en/16-members/in-remembrance/150-charley-moseley

especially pertinent.....

"When he was first at Alabama as a freshman he met another student in one of the cafeterias, this is the story as told by him to me, and the guy was talking about going to the Pacific Northwest to put out forest fires for a part-time job in the summertime," John Moseley said. "He'd grown up in southwest Alabama where my grandmother managed a large game estate, and we did controlled burning of the forests down there."

A fan of dramatic Zane Grey cowboy stories, Charley pursued the opportunity and worked the first summer on a ground crew, but met a couple of smokejumpers who parachuted into remote areas to combat fires. It's still considered one of the best ways to extinguish or contain blazes before they become a major problem, and has inspired numerous movies over the years.

"He just thought these guys were bigger than life," John Moseley said. "He wanted to try and be one and ended up being selected for the training."
9975298.jpeg

After graduating, Moseley worked for Air America in Southeast Asia, which was covertly owned by the United States government. While most military personnel were already tied up with escalation of the Vietnam War, civilians with extensive parachute experience were in demand, especially smokejumpers that could pass the security screening.

"That's kind of originally where they started recruiting from, and it was all word of mouth," said John Moseley, who was subsequently born in Bangkok, Thailand. His father's job as a "kicker" was to deploy cargo out of the back of a flying plane (while making sure he didn't accidentally go with it).

Air America documentary........... from 1:07:44 cargo drops and jumping from B727 aft stairway

screenshot.... jumping from 727.jpg

The second most used language in Laos, especially Vientiane, was French.
So "Dan Cooper" comic books may have been locally available and read by a few of those employed by Air America.
And "Dan" himself might have been back on duty in Vientiane or Lon Tieng, IMO, before they even got their search fully up to speed.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will eventually be solved as the FBI has DB Cooper's DNA.

Some think that he hit the water and quickly drowned if he wasn't already dead- hence the money floating downstream.

George
I agree with you, he is dead, but not buried.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread