Daguerreotype

wandrews

May 30, 2011
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
White's Di Pro 5900
Good Evening,
I recently recovered the two items pictured in the attachments on an 1850s era farm site. The item shown in the first two images appears to be a frame for a daguerreotype (?) perhaps. The second pair of images show what I believe is a copper plate. Could someone comment on my assumption about the frame? If the frame was for a daguerreotype would the plate be the actual daguerreotype? My images make the plate appear to have slight curves on the sides, but I think that is an artifact due to the plate's being slightly bent. The plate's size seems a bit off for a sixth sheet, but the back of the "frame" appears to be spot on. These objects were found within a few feet of each other.
Many Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1784 (2).JPG
    IMG_1784 (2).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1785 (2).JPG
    IMG_1785 (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1782 (2).JPG
    IMG_1782 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1783 (2).JPG
    IMG_1783 (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
Upvote 6

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently dug a similar brass section and I attributed it to a picture frame oval insert as yours looks to be. Seems more credible after seeing yours posted here.

Attachments

• 20220325_212523.jpg
    20220325_212523.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 23

Bioheat1969

Jan 1, 2021
Dudley, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Evening,
I recently recovered the two items pictured in the attachments on an 1850s era farm site. The item shown in the first two images appears to be a frame for a daguerreotype (?) perhaps. The second pair of images show what I believe is a copper plate. Could someone comment on my assumption about the frame? If the frame was for a daguerreotype would the plate be the actual daguerreotype? My images make the plate appear to have slight curves on the sides, but I think that is an artifact due to the plate's being slightly bent. The plate's size seems a bit off for a sixth sheet, but the back of the "frame" appears to be spot on. These objects were found within a few feet of each other.
Many Thanks!
You are dead on on all points, you have the metal matte(frame) and the print itself there. I collect daguerreotypes, the matte and print would go inside a leather bound wooden frame that opens like a book.

OP
OP
W

wandrews

May 30, 2011
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
White's Di Pro 5900
You are dead on on all points, you have the metal matte(frame) and the print itself there. I collect daguerreotypes, the matte and print would go inside a leather bound wooden frame that opens like a book.
Thank you! I appreciate your confirmation. Stay Safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions