Dam Counterfeit Large Cents

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So my last outing ( before this morning) I tracked down an 1820's tavern site. I used a really rough map and checked a number of area's where it could have been. There it was just waiting for me. I guess it was gone by around 1840. I'll know more when I beat it into submission. I dug a few buttons, an interesting drill with a lead handle, an 1833 Bust dime, and two 1835 Large Cents. One looks like a 1835 head of 1836, N=8, R-4. If you look close a the copper disc you can see the ONE CENT stamped in it. Another Dam Counterfeit!!!

Attachments

• halfway1.jpg
    halfway1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 260
  • halfway2.jpg
    halfway2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 196
  • halfway counterfit.jpg
    halfway counterfit.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 1833 dime.jpg
    1833 dime.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 1833 dime r.jpg
    1833 dime r.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 1835 N8.jpg
    1835 N8.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 1835 N-8 R-4.jpg
    1835 N-8 R-4.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 34

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my last outing ( before this morning) I tracked down an 1820's tavern site. I used a really rough map and checked a number of area's where it could have been. There it was just waiting for me. I guess it was gone by around 1840. I'll know more when I beat it into submission. I dug a few buttons, an interesting drill with a lead handle, an 1833 Bust dime, and two 1835 Large Cents. One looks like a 1835 head of 1836, N=8, R-4. If you look close a the copper disc you can see the ONE CENT stamped in it. Another Dam Counterfeit!!!
Good work on research and still nice finds. Thanks for sharing.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!! Good Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the coppers.

That rim on the one you think is a counterfeit sure looks like a beat up 1797 Cartwheel

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 7.19.58 AM.png

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What does the other side of your counterfeit look like and what size is it?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The drill is called a "gimlet drill" they were used to make small holes usually in wood that do not split. Sometimes wire handles, sometimes wood, and sometimes metal.
Looking at the thread gap pattern on the gimlet I'd venture a guess it was used for putting in a plug in tires. The plug would be wrapped around in the wide groove then threaded through the hole in the tire.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is just very rusted away. As a lifelong auto mechanic, that is not a tire plug tool. We use one that is a coarse rasp to roughen up the hole and then a tool like a handled large needle with an open eye to insert the plug, The open eyed end is opposite the handle. Wrapping the plug around a shaft simply would not work. Gimlet drills usually have a screw-like end on them, but the OP item is well rusted. Plugging tires is not a really old technology, pre-WW2 most were patched rather than plugged. Plugging is a cheap way to solve a puncture, it is much more efficient to patch the tire on the inside but that requires the labor cost of removing wheel and dismounting and mounting the tire. Internal patches are more expensive but better than plugs.

DaveK-NC

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2021
Apex, North Carolina USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265X, 1236X2; White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is just very rusted away. As a lifelong auto mechanic, that is not a tire plug tool. We use one that is a coarse rasp to roughen up the hole and then a tool like a handled large needle with an open eye to insert the plug, The open eyed end is opposite the handle. Wrapping the plug around a shaft simply would not work. Gimlet drills usually have a screw-like end on them, but the OP item is well rusted. Plugging tires is not a really old technology, pre-WW2 most were patched rather than plugged. Plugging is a cheap way to solve a puncture, it is much more efficient to patch the tire on the inside but that requires the labor cost of removing wheel and dismounting and mounting the tire. Internal patches are more expensive but better than plugs.
I wonder if it was a tool they used to sample wheels of cheese?See: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-cheese-testing-tool-plug-474281083

Great finds! Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
cannonball

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That rim on the one you think is a counterfeit sure looks like a beat up 1797 Cartwheel

View attachment 2004653
I thought that was a cartwheel. That makes sense now. There it definitely a US ONE CENT reverse on one side. They must have been trying to make a US Large Cent out of a British Cartwheel. It's just like some of my Jerseys and Connecticut's were made from Georges. Good Call!

Attachments

• halfway counterfit.1.jpg
    halfway counterfit.1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
cannonball

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2004653
great id thanks
Looking at the thread gap pattern on the gimlet I'd venture a guess it was used for putting in a plug in tires. The plug would be wrapped around in the wide groove then threaded through the hole in the tire.
I don't think they were using inflatable tires in the 1830's.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great saves and research, bet that site gives up more treasure. good luck

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds- seems like you've got yourself potentially a pretty magical site- GL going forward!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think a

Counterfeit Large cent would be more scarce then A REAL one :)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The drill is called a "gimlet drill" they were used to make small holes usually in wood that do not split. Sometimes wire handles, sometimes wood, and sometimes metal.
+it makes me feel old to think folks needed to be told what that drill was used for. Everyone I knew growing up had one.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding Finds...! :icon_thumright:
I figure they are worth more, since they are genuine counterfeit coins....! WoW...!

OP
OP
cannonball

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
+it makes me feel old to think folks needed to be told what that drill was used for. Everyone I knew growing up had one.
This site is from the 1820's- 1830's. You can't feel that Old if you're on this side of the lawn!!!:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread