Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this in change last weekend and have been trying to assess whether it is a real error from the mint or some sort of disproportionate wear.

It's a 2015 Rosie, and the obverse and reverse are pictured below. Any advice on the cause of the reverse would be appreciated. If it is a mint error, any idea of a range of value?

Thanks mates!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• dime obverse (2).jpg
    dime obverse (2).jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 297
  • dime reverse (2).jpg
    dime reverse (2).jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 310

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just guessing but with that mark on the back, my first thought was "cufflink".

attachment.php

Attachments

• il_1588xN.2302976755_2z0p.jpg
    il_1588xN.2302976755_2z0p.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
But the wear on this dime doesn't reflect anything in the pics of the cufflinks you posted, Matt. ???

Post mint damage. Probably a kid playing around with a sander, or similar.

Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with DCM. You can buy "cufflink blanks" that are made specifically for coins. This looks like it was super-glued into one of those and fell out.

HTB1ZOWIXbsTMeJjSszhq6AGCFXaw.jpg

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But the wear on this dime doesn't reflect anything in the pics of the cufflinks you posted, Matt. ???

Post mint damage. Probably a kid playing around with a sander, or similar.

I couldn't find any pictures of deconstructed cufflinks or cufflink parts.

My reasoning is that the back was smoothed so it would fasten better in the mounting. The mark on the back is where the glue or whatever was use to fasten the coin pulled the silver away from the copper core.

But, as I said, I'm only guessing...

The pic I posted was simply to show that someone out there is making cufflinks out of modern dimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I've seen some of your ID's Matt and am amazed at your knowledge! You could very well be right, but actually, if you think about it, a rougher surface adheres better than a smooth one. Ever glued tile to a wall, or ceiling? There's a reason they put all the lines on the back.
Thinking again, if the dime is too thick to fit properly in the frame of the cuff link...idk.

I do know, or am 99.99% sure, that the damage is post mint.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I greatly appreciate the feedback and thoughts! I'm not an error collector, but it caught my eye and I had hopes it was something interesting -- which I guess it still is. 8-)

Thanks again mates! :skullflag:

Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, selfishly, regardless of what it is, it reminded me that I had a cufflink that someone gave me with an Indian head penny in it. I would have never thought of it again, especially since I lost the mate. It was easy to pluck out because it was only held in by clips. Now I have a pretty decent 1906 IH to add to my collection!

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Upvote 0

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a long shot but.....I saw something like that a few years ago that came out of an escalator that was down for maintenance....lots of coins...some were worn and damaged from being caught underneath.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen some of your ID's Matt and am amazed at your knowledge! You could very well be right, but actually, if you think about it, a rougher surface adheres better than a smooth one. Ever glued tile to a wall, or ceiling? There's a reason they put all the lines on the back.
Thinking again, if the dime is too thick to fit properly in the frame of the cuff link...idk.

I do know, or am 99.99% sure, that the damage is post mint.

Excellent points, all. I don't know either.

You've been around here long enough to know that's how the ID's work sometimes. Someone tosses an idea out there and we consider it. That stimulates critical thinking and someone else posts a different theory or makes observations about the item to confirm or reject to original idea. And so on, and so on... until we figure it out.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With no rim, I say it's extreme wear.

Upvote 0

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it weigh the same as a regular dime or is it light because of missing metal?

Upvote 0

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damage or a true error?

It could be both. If it were struck without the clad on the reverse and made its way into circulation, it would explain why the wear on the back is more extreme that the wear on the obverse.

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Actually, no, Mud Hut. That doesn't make any sense at all. If the wear was from circulation, there would still be a rim on the reverse. The "clad" is there on the reverse. If it wasn't, the entire back would be copper colored. The back of this con has been sanded down. It weighs less than a dime, guaranteed.

Upvote 0

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, no, Mud Hut. That doesn't make any sense at all. If the wear was from circulation, there would still be a rim on the reverse. The "clad" is there on the reverse. If it wasn't, the entire back would be copper colored. The back of this con has been sanded down. It weighs less than a dime, guaranteed.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread