Day 4 on new site; less finds, but one blew my mind.

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As it has been this week, Robin got me up with the sun to go out hiking and metal detecting. This will be the last day for a while, and the last at this site for a bit; today was the last day of Robin's summer vacation. She goes back to work tomorrow. Today we worked our way out around the heavy traffic area at this site (done on previous days). Today we covered some of the cart road leading to the site, walled in areas that looked like animal pens, and old pasture areas (now heavily wooded). Here's the take for today.
IMG_2815.JPG

So you can see we got sythe blades, horse and ox shoes, shotgun brass and lead, assorted iron, nails, etc. We also got one more button (total of 15 for this site) and two unknown whatsits.
IMG_2822.JPG

But what blew me away? Well I had a booming solid signal that I pointed out to Robin and I moved on. She pinpointed and dug this
IMG_2820.JPG

Neat, right? But she said she still had a signal in the hole, so I swept it again. This time it was raspy like iron, and read low 90's.
Pinpointing she came up with this.
IMG_2821.JPG

OK, a nail made sense.
But she still showed something in the hole. Another sweep with the Deus gave me a light wispy tone with erratic 90s for a reading.
She went back for it and came up with this.
IMG_2816.jpg IMG_2817.jpg

At this point I had to sit down and grab my magnifier to look it over. These things are small! I've never had one before, and I was blown away to get it there. It looks to be in great shape other than a little discoloring.
At the end of the day we went back to our gear drop spot where I had set up my hammock for lunch. Robin grabbed her pack and surprised me with a couple of ice cold beers! :occasion14:
So we kicked back in the hammock and enjoyed them, thinking about who might have carved out an existence in this remote spot, and what life was like for them. And we thanked them for the great haul we got there. It was really refreshing to get to a site that hadn't been picked over, and also had no modern trash on it. We'll go back there, but I need to get a bigger coil for the rest. Maybe when the big X35 gets proven out I'll try one. Right now I'm running the small elliptical HF coil.

Upvote 32

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello GerryL. NICE DIGGIN'. Sites like that are what dreams are made of especially when you enjoy them with significant others that have beer.

Nice digs, thanks for the post and Good Luck. C9

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gerry it seems to me that Robin was doing all the digging and pin pointing. Plus carrying the beer. I thought she was on vacation. Nice bunch of finds and a big Congrats! On the multi hunts.

OP
OP
G

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She was! But I did all the heavy research! 😉
She does love the digging...

Hey Gerry it seems to me that Robin was doing all the digging and pin pointing. Plus carrying the beer. I thought she was on vacation. Nice bunch of finds and a big Congrats! On the multi hunts.

cttodd

Greenie
Jun 1, 2012
NW Corner CT
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great assortment of finds. Nice work HHunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats on a bucketlister for me anyway. Nice Trime and other finds. Time for a cool one.:icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the Trime! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great post you guys.earned those sweeeeet

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sharp-looking Trime!! 😱 Great job, you two!! 🙌 Way to not give up on a hole!!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and another sleigh bell. Someone else posted one this week. I cringe a little when I see a mowing scythe. My grandfather had "the big-one" while using one of those things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread