Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have two excal's. One is for backup which I have not used for sometime. The battery itself was not used much but it did sit. I charged it back up yesterday but it only held a charge for about 20 minutes. i would assume that the battery is finished but I wanted to check to see if anyone out there has a known way to help bring the battery back. Someone told me to put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes and then try to charge it. I would think the waterproof case would crack and it probably would not work anyway. Any ideas or is this impossible and I should just replace it?

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
I would try one or two more charges. I would not freeze any battery.
Make sure the connections are clean and have a snug fit.
If all fail, I would go for the EX-3000 replacement. I get 45+ hours on one charge.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I would try one or two more charges. I would not freeze any battery.
Make sure the connections are clean and have a snug fit.
If all fail, I would go for the EX-3000 replacement. I get 45+ hours on one charge.

Thanks. I have that battery on my main Excal. It works great and your right it goes for days. I love mine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I have that battery on my main Excal. It works great and your right it goes for days. I love mine.

Unless you have someone else using your backup at the same time you are using your main detector, why get another rechargeable? Just keep an alkaline pod as a backup and use the RNB EX-3000.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to apply about 3.9vdc to the dead cell - not the whole battery - just the dead cell. The are like 3 in series. If succesful you need to keep it charged or it will die again.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you have someone else using your backup at the same time you are using your main detector, why get another rechargeable? Just keep an alkaline pod as a backup and use the RNB EX-3000.

That’s what I did, when mine wouldn’t hold a charge anymore, I bought the alkaline pod and never looked back. It’s way more convenient, I never have to worry about charging it up, and Duracell’s are getting cheaper all the time. Jmho. Good luck!

Mr. B

Mar 23, 2017
SW Fla.
Detector(s) used
2-Exal 2s Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my Ni Cad do the same thing. time for a new one. Also I am not having any luck with their Lithium batterys

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s what I did, when mine wouldn’t hold a charge anymore, I bought the alkaline pod and never looked back. It’s way more convenient, I never have to worry about charging it up, and Duracell’s are getting cheaper all the time. Jmho. Good luck!

Ditto! I use two Alkaline pods now for these very reasons. I have for years now. It only took me about two rechargeable disasters to get over them quickly...:laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a tip.....order an AA cage off of Ebay, you will have to trim them down but they will fit inside the rechargeable pod. These cages are "cheap" and having one around can save your day as AA's can be found most anywhere.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received a new pod and EX 3000. The pod came with a cage so I have that if for some reason I get jammed up wit the rechargeables

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didnt mention...... was it the 700 or 1000 mah battery? I suggest the 3000 as well and rotate them for hunting. I had some lith from another company ..... 1600s, but found the smart charger wasnt very smart. If they dropped below a certain charge it didnt recognize the battery...... so you end up having to use the ML charger just to bring um back. Im at that point it if dont work....... get rid of it and go to something that you know does...... like th 3000.

Let me also ask....... i assume you didnt put it on the machine you used a multi meter to get your results..... otherwise did you try the 3000 on that machine? Cant tell you how many times its been a connection or cable NOT the battery that was the issue.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew made a good point, on the power cable that runs between the main pod and the battery pod, look at the pins on the ikelite connector that plugs into the battery, one is guide pin the other two are power pins, each pin is made up of 2 halves, make sure the gap is the same all the way to the tip, the tips get bent together over time and use. When they are bent together you don't get a good connection when you tighten down the locking nun on the ikelite connector.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Q-tip with an anti corrosive in the female plug helps. Occasionally i even take the Ikelite apart to check corrosion on those wires inside. Butter knive works good on those prongs.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Output question,

My two Minelab rechargeable NiMH meter at 13.08 and 13.48
The two with Duracell Quantum meter 12.63 and 12.68
The EX-3000 reads at 12.55 ( just got one based on advice above and charged overnight )
Does the variance in voltage output matter as to performance of the detector?
Has anyone pushed the EX-3000 until it was dead, 45 hours?

Tek

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detector has a built in voltage regulator, so, actual voltage over the needed internal voltage is unimportant. Once the battery goes below what is needed to run the detector correctly, you get the low battery whistle. I've run mine down to where the detector shuts off many times. Even with the low battery noise, it still seemed to work correctly. I haven't noticed any depth loss or deterioration of any other features up to the detector quitting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions