Death Beach, Fl.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What a beautiful here on the central left coast of Florida. (St. Pete) It's a lovely 82 degrees for you folks stuck in the northern latitudes. I cant' help it, I've got to go do a little beach hunting. Today, I don't feel like the regular beach, I'm going to go to a little used out of the way spot that you can only get to by boat.

So, I splash my little dinghy, load up the 'tectors and off I go.

The first thing I get to is this poor horseshoe crab...

And then I see more- must have been close to a dozen washed up on the beach.

crab.JPG

So, with the hunting gear set up, off I go...

beach.JPG

Within an hour I've got 3 cremation tags, 6 cents, one pull tab and a chunk of a boat prop blade tip.

tags.JPG

Just a little go much death here on the beach... so I do the next best thing- I head for lunch.

On the way out I toss the tags into deeper water- anybody here ever save them? One tag had the full name and address on it. I thought, how creepy it would be to get this back in the mail.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One tag had the full name and address on it. I thought, how creepy it would be to get this back in the mail.
Actually 2 of them do. One just needs cleaned.

That is pretty creepy though, to find 3 tags all in the same day in the same vicinity.

PS- Personally, I wish it would cool off some. It's too hot for this time of year.

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
82 is too hot for our summers. Glad you got out though. I have never found a cremation tag and hope I never do, not on a list of things I would like to find, if I had a list.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a couple of those tags, and yeah, it's kinda creepy. Just the circle of life (and death) I suppose. :dontknow:
Did you know, that the blue blood of the horseshoe crab is used to make anti-coagulant for medical surgeries?
It can be withdrawn from the crab, not harming him, and he can be released. (if my memory serves correct on these things)
Better luck on your next hunt!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who in their right mind would bothering tagging a bunch of dead crabs? :icon_scratch: Spooky, indeed! :laughing7:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 82 is but a blurb on the planet. Gasparilla hasn't gone on yet and that is usually when it is nasty in this section of the world. We get the winds of March in February and that second month can be a rough one.

is that abandoned pier still there on that island? I was thinking about doing that area this weekend.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dead horseshoe crabs, cremation tags, glad you made it back from Death Beach. :laughing7:

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah I agree. 82 is too hot. Better send it to central NY.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Death or no death.....thats a nice lookin beach..

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you know, that the blue blood of the horseshoe crab is used to make anti-coagulant for medical surgeries?
It can be withdrawn from the crab, not harming him, and he can be released.

I've got to look into this... it sounds like a business opportunity!

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
is that abandoned pier still there on that island? I was thinking about doing that area this weekend.

No abandoned pier here, unless it's on the back side... Lots of things changed after Hurricane Debby. The pass around the back side has shoaled in and I can't get back there...

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I was at Beer Can island the beginning of this week. Nothing left but pilings if that is where you are talking about.

My finds were on Shell Key.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Drop 15 degrees and send them this Way Fast So it will Be warm enough for red and I to Get Out Again!!! Please!!! HH Chug

bobbypin bill

Greenie
Nov 1, 2011
gulf coast, fl.
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Death seems to follow you around, you were at Pass-A-Grill and watched those folks drowned shortly after Debbie right? I remember since you snapped a photo of me entering the water before I noticed you rooting around at the waters edge then you slithered back here and used "literary license" to relate the events of your day......in fact I've hunted that beach some hundred times since and have yet to meet you.....
The "putz"

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Death seems to follow you around, you were at Pass-A-Grill and watched those folks drowned shortly after Debbie right? I remember since you snapped a photo of me entering the water before I noticed you rooting around at the waters edge then you slithered back here and used "literary license" to relate the events of your day......in fact I've hunted that beach some hundred times since and have yet to meet you.....
The "putz"
I remember that post...did you really throw the crab trap pieces back in the water after you dug them?

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I pick up all my trash.

Bill, I also don't jump right in front of anybody else that's hunting, walk the same lane, in the same direction... I go a ways down and start a different area. Just being a bit respectful.

I have tried to hunt party islands and spots before. You have to dig a serious amount of trash to get anything good.

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
I'm on the East side, close to Smyrna Beach. That's probably the direction I'll be going in after the first week of February with my new Whites GT Coinmaster. I hope I like it as much as everyone seems to. If anybody would like some company hit me up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread