Primary Interest:
Other

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,

I knew I shouldn't even try. But it is the only picture I can find right now that gives a good overall view. In the bottom you can see some stacked rocks and wood sticking out where some brave soul was probably going to enlarge the entrance. the rock is poised to fall right over the entrance and has an area in back of it that looks settled like there was previous digging...hey it is a natural rock, but moved into a position to fall when triggered.

Heizenberg

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2018
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect, given enough time, most if not all booby traps will fail due to corrosion and deterioration. Springs rust and lock up, ropes degrade and break, pits fill in and collapse and so on. So, unless the treasure is new or recent i would not worry too much about such things.

Tell that to Indiana Jones!

james337

May 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was Tom in CA banned? I registered just to ask him some questions and pick his brain and his profile says banned. ????

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Was Tom in CA banned? I registered just to ask him some questions and pick his brain and his profile says banned. ????

Hey there James 337, you can PM me now.

so its confirmed he is banned? why is tom in ca banned? hehehe

Because there was a .... uh .... certain claimed treasure "found" (past tense), that came under heavy skepticism. The thread is still there, but locked now. Fallen a page or two back by now, on the general discussion page. I came down especially hard on the claim (wouldn't relent). So the mod's considered that "badgering".

Can't mention the treasure legend by now, as it appears that the mere mention (posed in terms of doubt anyhow) are now verboten . But you can go read the thread if you like.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its strange but I used to occasionally visit another website and when I posted there about the death trap I had pictures of they banned me forever! no warning, nothing. what weirdness!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Its strange but I used to occasionally visit another website and when I posted there about the death trap I had pictures of they banned me forever! no warning, nothing. what weirdness!

That's because it seems that on T'net, it's just the opposite. Indiana Jones sensational treasure legend stuff (death traps, conspiracies, etc....) are not to be questioned (well .... you have to walk REAL gingerly to challenge them). But on some other md'ing websites, those legend camp-fire type lores are probably immediately dismissed out-of-hand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Users may disagree with the decisions or actions of the moderators and/or administrators, however, "disagreements, criticism and the like are not to be aired within the forums. Please feel free to PM the person directly rather than air your dirty laundry in public.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a book about one of the first people in Ohio to cultivate Ginseng, mid 1800's ,i believe. "Woodland Nuggets of Gold"
He fenced in his patch, but had trouble with someone stealing the ginseng.
He rigged up a shotgun to the gate somehow, and he said he could tell by the stench, when he returned days later that it worked.
There was the thief, dead.
Things were different in the old days.

Sandy1devotee369

Feb 10, 2022
Has anyone ever come across a death trap protecting a cache, or evidence of one that was "sprung" and the cache long gone?

It would be great to see some pictures of real Death traps in situ!!
Yes, I have. It was a gravity rock fall death trap. It had and still has not been tripped. As I was the first person to expose it to the open air since it had been buried. It makes up one of the "walls" of the first vault I had discovered. At the time, I had no knowledge of tnet much less sandy1 or much else related. Especially real working death traps. Anyhow at that moment in time I wasn't worried about the stone that would have liked to crush me, I was worried about the stone in front of it. Which as I found out later is what is known as the trigger rock. I didn't have any clue that the rock behind the trigger rock was even able to move, and good thing I didn't trigger it. It is bigger than two regular cars put together. Ouch! That was the first death trap, the next one was a bit different.

Sandy1devotee369

Feb 10, 2022
Yes, I have. It was a gravity rock fall death trap. It had and still has not been tripped. As I was the first person to expose it to the open air since it had been buried. It makes up one of the "walls" of the first vault I had discovered. At the time, I had no knowledge of tnet much less sandy1 or much else related. Especially real working death traps. Anyhow at that moment in time I wasn't worried about the stone that would have liked to crush me, I was worried about the stone in front of it. Which as I found out later is what is known as the trigger rock. I didn't have any clue that the rock behind the trigger rock was even able to move, and good thing I didn't trigger it. It is bigger than two regular cars put together. Ouch! That was the first death trap, the next one was a bit different.
The next death trap I encountered was after I had discovered tnet and sandy1, and had also researched as much as I could on death traps since I had already encountered one and might also encounter more in the future. That one is not one I had heard mentioned before. I was exploring a sink hole on my friend's property. I seen the hole opened up into a mine shaft. I climbed down inside with the help of a rope. I went as far as I could in the mine shaft, it only went back about 12 feet before it abruptly ended. You could obviously tell that it kept going but was completely blocked from the ceiling to the floor, completely flat though. So slope at all of what I believed was dirt to block the shaft. It had a super thick layer of mycelium growing all over this wall that was the blockage. I was not interested in exploring that start at the time. I just considered it my wine cellar, as it was always the perfect temperature given if it was 110 degrees Fahrenheit just 10 feet above at ground level. Anyhow, the sinkholes was on one side of a dirt road and there was what I discovered to be a small hole on the other side of the road. When I stood close to it, I could tell that if I was down in the mine shaft, I would be at what was the back of the wall in the mine shaft the obviously blocked part. One day I decided to start digging in that hole, that was right above the end of the mine shaft. The dirt looked very out of place. It was a different color brown than any other soil in the area. It looks like soil after it is contaminated with oil. Like darker brown and almost wet looking. As soon as I moved the first shovel of dirt out of that hole, all of my mucus membranes started excreting mucus with eyes watering profusely and saliva profusely coming from my mouth and also feeling terrible bad, very quickly. Very nauseous all of a sudden. Before I could even think about it, I made a few quick, large strides away from that hole. I immediately felt better. Took 20-30 seconds to feel way better. I was quite stumped about that experience for some time. I believe I did eventually figure out exactly what kind of death trap it was, and how it was formulated and also how I can one day reverse that trap. Any educated guesses as to what I had encountered that day?

D

Deleted member 110535

The next death trap I encountered was after I had discovered tnet and sandy1, and had also researched as much as I could on death traps since I had already encountered one and might also encounter more in the future. That one is not one I had heard mentioned before. I was exploring a sink hole on my friend's property. I seen the hole opened up into a mine shaft. I climbed down inside with the help of a rope. I went as far as I could in the mine shaft, it only went back about 12 feet before it abruptly ended. You could obviously tell that it kept going but was completely blocked from the ceiling to the floor, completely flat though. So slope at all of what I believed was dirt to block the shaft. It had a super thick layer of mycelium growing all over this wall that was the blockage. I was not interested in exploring that start at the time. I just considered it my wine cellar, as it was always the perfect temperature given if it was 110 degrees Fahrenheit just 10 feet above at ground level. Anyhow, the sinkholes was on one side of a dirt road and there was what I discovered to be a small hole on the other side of the road. When I stood close to it, I could tell that if I was down in the mine shaft, I would be at what was the back of the wall in the mine shaft the obviously blocked part. One day I decided to start digging in that hole, that was right above the end of the mine shaft. The dirt looked very out of place. It was a different color brown than any other soil in the area. It looks like soil after it is contaminated with oil. Like darker brown and almost wet looking. As soon as I moved the first shovel of dirt out of that hole, all of my mucus membranes started excreting mucus with eyes watering profusely and saliva profusely coming from my mouth and also feeling terrible bad, very quickly. Very nauseous all of a sudden. Before I could even think about it, I made a few quick, large strides away from that hole. I immediately felt better. Took 20-30 seconds to feel way better. I was quite stumped about that experience for some time. I believe I did eventually figure out exactly what kind of death trap it was, and how it was formulated and also how I can one day reverse that trap. Any educated guesses as to what I had encountered that day?
Gas buildup over the years maybe? It's one of the worries I have with mine and probably everyone should look out for.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I believe it was arsenic infused oil, in the dirt. After a bit of research, I found out I could reverse the trap with O2 or preferably O3, infused oil and a bit of time.

Just curious, but how old do you think this site is, and how long do you think arsenic remains in the soil before it degrades or diffuses away because of erosion, dilution and chemical reactions?

Sandy1devotee369

Feb 10, 2022
Just curious, but how old do you think this site is, and how long do you think arsenic remains in the soil before it degrades or diffuses away because of erosion, dilution and chemical reactions?
I very much believe that it is Spanish, but the area has been consistently worked by those that came after. I believe I will find a king's vault there. And that's not just my hope, I have seen evidence of such. I found this one after locating the stone topographical map which also doubles as a compass map. This one should be in a museum. It is quite a piece of art. Michaelangelo would be jealous.

Sandy1devotee369

Feb 10, 2022
I very much believe that it is Spanish, but the area has been consistently worked by those that came after. I believe I will find a king's vault there. And that's not just my hope, I have seen evidence of such. I found this one after locating the stone topographical map which also doubles as a compass map. This one should be in a museum. It is quite a piece of art. Michaelangelo would be jealous.
Arsenic in oil, in dirt. If it was without the oil, and still in the presence of iron,it would not last long at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread