KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One version I have reads something like...along the ridge to a point that is higher than the others where a large rock seemed to have fallen from another above. Go in between them, this is where we obtained our richest ore. Another says the mine is beneath red sandstone, and another says the mine opening is under a chestnut burr rock, but nothing specifically describing the ore. Maybe this is what lead rgb1 to look for what he found? I have read here somewhere that silver found in KY will not be found like it is out West, not in the form of veins anyway. I guess because the rock is different here, the way it is deposited. In general, silver is found in higher quantities within lead and zinc deposits more so than in veins. Something about the way it readily bonds I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Hiker !! I was wondering if I had overlooked it or been wrapped up in the direction parts of the info and just not paid attention to other info. I think if I understand the geology out west the veins out there are more vertical from a different form of mountain building . Most of our geology has been laid out in horizontal layers, with waves of coarse. None of it is perfectly horizontal . I think lead is like a magnet to gold and silver.

Last edited:

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
read someplace swift says his best ore was in blue gray sandstone think it was in one of hensons books will look it up this to could have been another deception looked it up pg 73 near middle found in in lost and sunken treasures of mid west another mention of grey sandstone on pg. 12 near top book lost silver mines and buried treasure of ky. both by henson guess i should have told you the mines i found one is in gray sand stone one in organic slates and one in carbonates type ore have not tested the sand stone or carbonates will do this very soon.

Last edited:

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
In one of the areas people have suggested, I have seen a map from the early 1800’s with three lead mines marked. Kinda makes you wonder...

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that is more likely a place than any other I could think of with galena/lead/zinc there should be various amounts of silver also. What was in what Brushy found? Lead, zinc antimony and silver?

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have done some research on silver ores and it has been found in about any kind of rock. Out west they found it in sand stone back in the big westward rush and everyone laughed at the guy that found it. Said silver couldn't be found in sandstone. Took him years to get someone to believe him. Believe that was in Utah maybe ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread