tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
20201118_173427.jpg 20201118_173412.jpg 20201118_173503.jpg 20201118_173447.jpg From a Woodland midden Central Gulf Coastal FL Would make poor points imhop when they had good knappable stone...

Upvote 0

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve wondered that very same thing, the middens are water sites, so maybe they were in some way used to hunt a special something that lived in water...Found in several states it seems to be a well known tool of sorts...And because of deterioration, who knows how many were ever made...Ideas any one?..Thanks Tom...( More of a harpoon type point is my half wild guess.)

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if they were really arrow points or not. The Jamestown settlers did report that the local Powhatans used a bone tipped arrow specifically to hunt squirrels, but gave no further details. The big problem with stone points is that they break easily. Not something you want for target practice or small game. Not something you want to give the boys! They would lose or break everyone in a day! Also, they had this game where they would shoot at each other and try to jump out of the way of the arrow, so basically dodge ball with arrows!

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
They are really unique that is for sure. I have thought maybe some sort of safety cover?
That game would be like tag with a paint pellet gun. They do leave a mark after the paint is all washed off.
A practice arrow seems like a good idea too. I can imagine someone practicing with nothing hafted. A fletched sharp stick.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
They are really unique that is for sure. I have thought maybe some sort of safety cover?
That game would be like tag with a paint pellet gun. They do leave a mark after the paint is all washed off.
A practice arrow seems like a good idea too. I can imagine someone practicing with nothing hafted. A fletched sharp stick.

These points were not play toys, they are as sharp as flint and I assure you will go through a hand if pushed... 188D5725-920B-4089-BF88-780A713E1523.jpeg

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have one somewhere, it’s from South Dakota

I’ll try n put up a pic of mine later.

I know Joshua Ream has a couple.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Also, to set the record straight, these come from the deers hock, or dew claws, not the toe.

OP
OP
tomclark

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
20201118_173520.jpg 20201118_173541.jpg unmodified deer phalanges

OP
OP
tomclark

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ichbone2.jpg ichbone1.jpg This one not from a toe. Ichetucknee River, FL

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up the reference from Jamestown. William Strachey in "History of Travel", chapter 8: "Their arrows are made of straight young sprigs which they head with bone two or three inches long; these they us to shoot at squirrels and all kind of fowl."

If found in shell middens, maybe for shooting ducks?

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that “ not a toe “ black color from brackish water? Thats what old bone turns to here, that over all appearance , really hard and polished

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a light tip for a faster arrow suitable to small fast moving animals? Makes sense to me.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like they would be great for a leather punch. Built in thumb cradle. JMHO

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have literally found hundreds of these Deer Toes and have never seen one that was altered in any way. Very cool piece Tom. In my area we find Deer Antler Arrowpoints made from Tines off the Antler.

Here's some of my better ones.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    859.1 KB · Views: 41

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked up the reference from Jamestown. William Strachey in "History of Travel", chapter 8: "Their arrows are made of straight young sprigs which they head with bone two or three inches long; these they us to shoot at squirrels and all kind of fowl."

If I was gonna make an arrow to Knock a squirrel out of a tree it would look something like this ( tip is exaggerated for explanation purposes)..as far as ducks, I’m certain that used nets or some other method, c’mon give these folks some 8A33D52F-6CEE-476C-99D4-10E255128BC6.jpeg credit, they taught the Pilgrims how to survive, y the way have a nice thanksgiving everyone.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

If I was gonna make an arrow to Knock a squirrel out of a tree it would look something like this ( tip is exaggerated for explanation purposes)..as far as ducks, I’m certain that used nets or some other method, c’mon give these folks some View attachment 1882068 credit, they taught the Pilgrims how to survive, y the way have a nice thanksgiving everyone.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was gonna make an arrow to Knock a squirrel out of a tree it would look something like this ( tip is exaggerated for explanation purposes)..as far as ducks, I’m certain that used nets or some other method, c’mon give these folks some View attachment 1882068 credit, they taught the Pilgrims how to survive, y the way have a nice thanksgiving everyone.

Your describing a “blunt”...and not the kind some people smoke.
Many cultures used very small blow darts to take squirrels out of a tree...so many things would work if your clever enough.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
My understanding was and I could be wrong, the toe bones were about 2 inches long, and the dew claw bones one inch.
they are commonly know as arrow points up here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread