Delta 4000 VS Fisher F2

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I think Ive finally figured out what I want to get for a detector, I get another shown to me. :P So this time, comparing a Delta 4k to a Fisher F2. I looked on Kellyco, and can get either one for about the same price. Granted, the Fisher Im looking at at 275 gives me 3 coils, where as the delta 4k only gives me one. Both have VID, which is one reason Ive left the Ace250 band wagon. Another reason I left the ace train is because I have a tendency to swing my detector a bit faster than I probably should, and I've heard reports that the 250 does not recover from targets as fast as the Fisher does. So I need to know, which is my better option. I've posted links to the two Im looking at.

Fisher F2 - http://www.kellycodetectors.com/fisher/fisher_f2buy_3coil.htm
or
Teknetics Delta 4000 - http://www.kellycodetectors.com/teknetics/delta_buy.htm

Or..... is someone going to make my mind do backflips, and show me another model thats under the 300 mark that beats out even these two. Visual target ID is a must, I want that visual before I think about going tone only again. Price under or slightly (25) above 300 is a must. Quick recovery time is a must. :) Also if it helps, I live in Oregon, soil conditions here are mild when it comes to minerals. I do beach hunt, wet and dry sand currently with a bounty hunter tracker II. More often Im in tot lots, soccer fields, and grass covered parking lots (fair grounds).

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally the F-2 is the better bet between the two. But you are going to be much better off using the credit card and ordering the Garrett AT PRO or ACE 350. I know it is twice as expensive but that lil F-2 with preset GB just won't do the job for everything. You are only going to blow more money in a short time when you learn what you can't do. Sorry to be so negative, but I've wasted much money on POS too.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem with the Garrett is the slow recovery time. As I stated above, I tend to swing a little quicker than average, so I need something that can recover faster from it.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not familiar with Teknetics products, but I do own an F2 and it's a real clad hog.

With a slow sweep speed you can hit a dime at 6" in decent ground. If like me you tend to swing too fast your looking at 4".
It's TDI is spot on and it pin points dead on.

Nickels take a little bit to learn, they tend to have jumpy numbers between 26 - 32.

Zinc pennies tend to pin point the size of a dinner plate when close to the surface. All you have to do then is find the approximate center move your coil just to the side and press the pin point again, what that does is it detunes it and shrinks the pin point size. That works for other detectors also.

The small 4" coil is a killer in high trash areas.

It's one detector I'll never get rid of and it will take a lot to replace it in it's price category.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one thing everyone has said about the F2, that its a serious clad hog. How is it for jewelery? Those are my two main category's, clad and jewelery. I'd love to find some old coins and what not, but I'm not really into collecting them, I don't relic hunt really so that leaves clad and jewelery. :)

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You find old coins in old places.
Your chances of finding jewelery will increase if you hunt beeches and you pretty much have to dig any good signal.
The F2 can do it just don't go as deep as a high end machine. BUT 90% of all coins should be with in its reach.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What i read about the new garrett AT Pro is that it has a fast recovery and swing speed. So sandman gave you some good info. there.. I know the AT Pro is above the price you want to pay but check out the Ace 350....

Attachments

• Engine.gif
    Engine.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 5,624
  • Engine.gif
    Engine.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 5,514

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
Dont look back.

Both the F2 and Delta kill the 250 and 350. The 5 year warranty blows away Garrett’s measly 2 years and the recovery speed and 1-99 target ID is icing on the cake. Both pinpoint better than the Garrett’s and work better in salt and don’t have the annoying bell tone.

Anyone recommending either Garrett 250 or 350 over them obviously is unfamiliar with the F2 and Delta or knows nothing about detecting performance and shouldn’t comment because it is soooo blatantly obvious if you have actually used them all.

The list goes on with advantages of F2 and Delta over the Garrett’s.

F2; Faster, longer warranty, 1-99 ID, 15 pts of iron 85 pts for non iron, cam locks, lower price, more coils, more sensitive, better depth, more tones, better balance.
Delta; Faster, longer warranty, cam locks, 1-99 40pts of iron and 60 pts of non iron, more sensitive, better depth, more sensitive, 3 tones(same) far better balance and weight, true all metal with ID!!!!, duel headphone jacks.

If you want manual GB like the AT offers step up to the F4 or Gamma--- both have a true all metal with ID which the AT doesn’t even have along with all the advantages listed above for a little more but still way less than the AT Pro.
Little is known about the AT pro for sure except it is supposed to be fast like the new Fishers and Teks, and have high iron resolution like the Teks and is water proof to 10 feet-which appears to be the only real advantage over the existing FTP products Garrett is trying hard to imitate.

The main reason for an AT Pro over the above detectors is the waterproof part and I think the 3 extra years of warranty outweighs Garrett’s stellar customer service.

Not JMHO but pretty factual-I have used all under many conditions for many types of hunting for many hours….

John

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems someone (newbie) is a shill for Fisher here by telling the F2 and Delta are far superior to anything else and attacking others by insinuating that they are stupid and lack experience. ??? They obviously don't have experience themselves with other detectors or they are just having a bad day just like we all have had. It is nice that you feel the Fisher's are so great, but not everyone agrees and I am a Fisher fan myself.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Sandman said:
Seems someone (newbie) is a shill for Fisher here by telling the F2 and Delta are far superior to anything else and attacking others by insinuating that they are stupid and lack experience. ??? They obviously don't have experience themselves with other detectors or they are just having a bad day just like we all have had. It is nice that you feel the Fisher's are so great, but not everyone agrees and I am a Fisher fan myself.

I have been successfully using mostly various Garrett metal detectors for 16 years....they are built like tanks and the customer service is superb! Once you put in the time to learn them properly, they work well. That's a real surprise to such a Garrett put down to what I have just read.

"if it sounds too good to be true"..................

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
Like I said-it is blatantly obvious if you have actually used all the detectors

Like I said-it is blatantly obvious if you have actually used all the detectors in question.

I may be a newbie to this forum and posting but I am sure I have more experience than many.

I have a huge laundry list of units I have used since the early Teks and Whites Coinmasters with blue box.

I love Garrett and used a GTA 1000 for years along with a 2000 before the 2500 was around.

Also really like Tesoro-the Cibola is a killer for the money as a non metered detector-also think the Tiger Shark is awesome and what about the lifetime warranty….

Also used Whites and found a ton of silver with my old Spectrum-great customer service.

Went with the Sov and Explorer for years and found a ton of silver until my arm wore out.

I started playing with light weight units again and used the four mentioned above-the 350 most recently before I dumped it after a week and a half and comparing signals in the ground and test garden performance-its black and white the FTP products KILL THE GARRETTS and Garrett is admitting it by copying the features that made the FTP stuff superior with its ATPro
Fast recovery speed-Garrett never had and is synonymous with FTP
40 pts or iron Garrett never had and is synonymous with the Tek line
1-99 target ID Garrett never had and it is a staple of all FTPs recent offerings.
Many more surprising 'similarities'. It looks like reverse engineering of superior products to me-but thats OK-I like the water proof addition to existing industry proven features even if these features were another companies bread and butter-its about better tools for us.

If anyone is a shill it’s the guys recommending an inferior unit over a superior one they have never used-if they had used it and compared targets they would have to agree because its fact.

There is nothing wrong with liking one company over another and if someone would have said go with Garrett because they have better customer service and are a more reputable company that would make sense-just don’t pee on me and tell me its raining because I call it like I see it and actually used and compared the models in question-and I believe anyone that has easily sees the same thing. if not you have problems…….

John Edmington-I agree and the same can be said for the FTP models above but you don’t need to take as long to learn them to get better results because they easily out feature and out perform the Garretts mentioned.

The verdict is still out on the ATPro----I have one on order and will call it as I see it when I get it.

I will not ever recommend one detector over another if I have never used it or am unfamiliar with its features and performance-because I have more posts than others and look like I am not a newbie-stupid uniformed comments make you look like a newbie or like you don’t know what you are doing-stick with the stuff you actually have experience with.

Good luck,

John

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep I think your right this John is a Fisher shill........ All his post is how great Fisher is..........

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
Come on.....

A shill is not someone that tells the truth and presents facts.

Keppy-you have always seemed non-biased....why take sides now? Have you tried all 4 units?
Are you stating the 250 and 350 are superior to the F2 and Delta and that my statements are unfounded and wrong by labeling me a shill?
If so please tell me how and why.

Better yet ANYONE tell me how and why you feel the Garretts mentioned are better than the Delta or F2 if you have actually used all and tested all 4 in the field or in a test garden under various conditions…..
Even if you haven’t used all please tell me why you ‘think’ the Garretts are better…….

Anyone, please give me a few bullet points why I am a shill for stating the truth regarding which units are superior?

I gave many features and performance reasons to back up my statements-please some of you Garrett ‘shills’ or undecided onlookers lets see your bullet points and findings of why and how the 250 and 350 are superior to the FTP units as others have claimed without backing it up and using the lame defense of trying to discredit me by calling me a shill instead of actually showing us why or how I am wrong.

I will not go away but will be happy to listen to reasonable facts and experiences if your testing results hold water showing I am wrong or missed something…...So far the only defense I have heard is labeling me a shill- no one has actually brought forth one single advantage of the Ace series compared to my long list of F2/Delta advantages I posted above.

I will start----
Garrett Ace advantages;
-4 AA batteries over 9v system
-Garrett has great customer service
-Garrett is a very reputable company
-The yellow color looks cool
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Please fill in the blanks above and feel free to add more.

Am I missing something else? What do the Garrett units do better than the FTP units in question?

Come on Garrett guys help me out here……

This is a head to head comparison forum lets hear why you Garrett fans feel the Aces are superior.

Like I said I am not anti Garrett-I am looking forward to the ATPro-

Call me a shill if you want but be man enough to back it up with facts or experiences to discredit my facts and findings which I have presented in black and white.

I just don’t see how they are better in any way.

Peace!

John

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
sorry

Sandman,

I just reread my post and apologize if I offended you or seemed to single you out- it sounded worse than I meant it to sound. You are welcome to your opinions as am I. I am a facts type of guy and always have to try things out firsthand before I just take anyones ‘word’ for it which you gave.
Can you Please list or explain the reasons, features or performance experiences you feel makes the Ace 250 and 350 superior in performance than the Delta and F2 you used to make your recommendation on these detectors? Since you are not a newbie and really seem to know your stuff I would like to hear how you came to your conclusions on what units are better other than company reputation or customer service.

Maybe I missed something in my testing and evaluation you can help me with.

Thanks for the time.

John

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
JohnTanner............ Your right about people just giveing one side there side...................... When i see some one ask what detector is best................I think oh crap......................ARE THEY ever going to get a lot of bull crap now for all everyone tells them is what detector they use ...................And how the detector they use is the best brand & model ..................... So they should get that one............ Did not mean no harm John ................. My wife always tells me ......... Jim think before you speak.......... So for i keep forgetting..........At lease you gave both sides and the reason ..........My apologies............... keppy...... AKA..........Jim

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i own and have used both the ace 250 and delta 4000 a fair bit -- my view point is this * delta at 279 vs ace at 212 --- (differance is $67 bucks or a bit over 20% more in cost) --- now for head to head -- depth abilities about the same * --- IDing abilies --hands down -- the delta wins -- ace has 8 "slots" (blocks) that it has to cram all it finds into causing "target over lap"--- pulltabs , nickle and gold all seem the same --forcing you to dig it all--- however having a 0 to 99 numbers scale the delta has 100 "number slots" into which to sort finds into - for every 1 ace "block" slot - deltas got 12 1/2 numbers thus it can sort things much finer -- which equals less trash digging --more "productive" hunts , better numbers of good finds *

now for the bad news -- repairs * -- when my speaker went out on my delta --i sent it in for repairs --they sent it back --but when they "recalibrated it" at the factory when they repaired it --its lost its ability to sort 10 k gold & nickle from pull tabs (before it was 58 = nickle / 10k gold -- 60 -65 was pulltabs --67 was 14 k gold) after being "repaired" --58 for nickle /pulltabs/ and 10k gold --- I sent it back complaining but they sent it back as it was --saying it tested out within spec's tolerances (its not been as good as it was) --- garrett is well known for good service

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
Thanks Keppy,

I was excited when I saw the head to head comparison forum here because thats what I like to do. I dont mean to come off as an old grouch (although my wife says I am one) but I like to know why someone feels one is better than another. For me just saying one is better doesnt cut it-I want reasons and facts to back it up because my decisions, style of hunting are not always the same as others so I may miss advantages others may be aware of that I am not. I am also not always right and willing to eat crow if someone feeds it to me. Although I have an extensive 20 year old) test garden with co located iron and other targets doesnt mean all my tests are definitive. I just dont see it in this case.

John

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, I know you are not a shill but your posts make you sound like one especially since you are rather new here but not to detecting. You no doubt have some years of experience but your findings are based on what you find important to you where you are hunting. I have hunted all over with many units for all types of detecting. Sold many in detector shops so I know what the newcomer to the hobby wants, which isn't always what they need.

As Ivan has said, all the manufactures can mess up a repair job, but seems the First Texas company that bought Fisher has really dropped the ball on repairs. Oh, they sometimes bend over back wards for someone, but more times than not something isn't right. Minelab is messing up right now but are coming around with customer service. I am just glad none of my Fisher's need repair.

Comparing one detector against another is difficult at best and the most we can go on is quality of materials and customer service. Some features that are important to one hunter don't mean squat to another. The main thing we all want is great customer service when things go wrong. Tesoro is the only one that fixes detectors that obviously were treated wrong for free.

I am grouchier sometimes and type before I get my mind wrapped around a subject. So if I offended you I am sorry. I too am looking forward to using the AT Pro. :thumbsup:

Sandman :coffee2:

Attachments

6.6 KB · Views: 4,379

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I like Fisher and Minelab but will not get one at this time............................. Both of them seem to have up & downs in there service....................... And it seems more down's than up's............................................... ..NOW THIS CAR WASH KNOWS WHAT SERVICE IS..............

Attachments

• realy_mobile_funny_ready_217205941_large.jpg
    realy_mobile_funny_ready_217205941_large.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,802
  • realy_mobile_funny_ready_217205941_large.jpg
    realy_mobile_funny_ready_217205941_large.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,643

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread