Dents Run Federal Law Suit filed today

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I applaud Dennis and his team for uncovering the truth behind this amazing story!
He stayed with it for 40 years and didn't give up his search.
I thank Dennis for including us in on his quest to find it!

But the truth didn't come easy-it took hard work, determination, tenacity, grit, mental fortitude, physical endurance, sacrifice, and a lot of faith to bring this story home. And the truth is very evident that there was gold and silver hauled out by the FED's.

The FED's have, since day 1, tried to cover this story up and are still doing so today--their MO hasn't changed one bit! They didn't thank Dennis for all his hard work in leading them to this vast treasure but treated him and his team like they were nothing but trash-- without any right to be there, by placing them all under car arrest, not to mention locking down the town! Then when they dug it up, they lied to him and told him they found nothing.
What an insult to his intelligence!

They didn't give him any credit for the find that he led them to or give him any reward or finder's fee for doing so!
But instead, they told him to get out of this work that led them to this very treasure they now possess! How do you like that audacity? Then they questioned the hard work he is now doing on other treasure sites, wanting to know where they are too? Any why, so they can steal that away from him too?

The FED's have the biggest case of gold fever there is--They want it all! They wouldn't respect Dennis' 40 years of hard work or reward him for it but stole it away from him and they would keep stealing it all away from him. This is the worst violation of human rights and the dignity of human life itself!

I applaud Dennis for fighting for what rightfully belongs to him and be finally treated with some respect and get a judgment in his favor. They are model Treasure Hunters, always following all the laws! Their reputation is flawless. The conservative estimate of 500MIL spot price, not to mention the greater antiquity value has to be the biggest treasure find in history? The History Channel should have been covering this one instead of wasting their time on Oak Island!

IF forthcoming evidence shows the removal of Civil war era precious metals placed by troops , The government's going to present thier source of locating it as an informant.
And one that had already attempted to violate the Antiquities act..
Between admitted attempts at recovering samples ' and claim of human remains, the government had enough "reason" / excuse to keep him/them off the actual site of government activity to confirm or deny the claim.

I understand your perspective.
But Dennis is up against an entity he invited into the equation on it's terms. Rather than his.

I'd be surprised if he gets credited for the rediscovery of tangible civil war era precious metals. Proven to have existed , then the group certainly should get credit. As to a cut of the alleged hoard , that's up to the applicable law after definition of it's legal status is complete. Which may or may not settle other claims that arise.

A cautionary tale when looking to make a recovery on public land.
Doubly cautious when involving anyone out for interests other than one's own.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don,t really know how to feel about this so I,ll say that I hope they are successful in the suit and get some kind of recognition. My main take is that if I have a lead on any kind of treasure,unlikely but possible,I,ll keep my mouth shut and go it alone and never,never,never,invite any State,County,City or Federal agency to participate. Best of luck and I truly wish you success!

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While speculating is fun, since we actually have some evidence now in the form of pictures of the actual holes, lets focus on the evidence:

Now that you have the pictures, do you see any circumstantial evidence in them that gold or silver or any man made objects were found or once resided there such as:

-Dirt Sifter/Shaker Screens in the background of any of the pictures? With an estimated 10+tons of gold and silver estimated, there'd be vast quantities of loose bars/coins as any crating it was in would have likely rotted away, especially being it was in a "wet" cave and as already evidenced by the pictures, the soil was very rocky, which would have necessitated deliberate sifting of the soil. Even if it was large bars, a competent recovery team would sift the soil for any missed possible artifacts.

-Remnants of wood crating/barrels/lock boxes in the holes? Again, with 10+ tons, it likely wasn't just thrown in willy nilly. With that tonnage, they wouldn't have been hauling it in their pockets or a napsack and just dumping it in a hole.

-Any sign of steel in the hole, from crate latches and hinges, shelving, lockboxes etc?

-Any modern crating/boxes/bins/pallets in the background of the pictures? With 10+ tons, they have extensive packaging to do to transport it down the hill to the landing area.

-Any sign of any other man made objects in the hole? Chains, nails, steel supports, spikes, rods, brackets, lamps, tins, carts, rails, wheels, etc etc

-Any sign of steel or wood support beam remnants in the hole? Since you've previously mentioned it was a cave that collapsed, they would have recognized only a 150 years ago (a short time for a cave) that the roof was less than stable and would have likely erected some type of supports.

-Any sign of any man made Masonry in the hole? Bricks, mortar etc wouldn't be a stretch from sealing the entrance to interior construction.
Well thought out questions.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Why all the speculation?
The circumstantial evidence speaks for itself.
The gold was found.

I reviewed 13 pages of this thread two times over and it took me about 4 hours to know exactly what happened at Dents Run. And, any Judge, anywhere, who read this thread too would know the truth of exactly what "went down" at Dents Run. You can't "explain away" the circumstantial evidence.

Tell me, what do you need 5 Armored Trucks for?

Dennis confirmed the evidence of Gold and Silver buried there and that was re-confirmed by the FBI with their measurement equipment. That's proof of their reason to dig. I mean the density proved gold.

If not gold, then what was it that they found and where is it?

I'll tell you what, after the FBI removed the gold, lets rerun Dennis' tests and the FBI density tests and I'll guarantee you that those tests now measure ZERO in the same area they dug. The 9-ton mass with the density of gold and the 7 ton of silver have somehow miraculously disappeared.

Where did it go?

It's likely that the pig iron containers that the gold bars were stored in were reburied. I mean there might be still possible traces of gold on them too? which could be used as forensic evidence or "smoking gun" in this case?
1 cubic foot of gold weighs in at 1200 lbs., so 9 tons of gold bars is 15 cubic feet which can easily fit into a 3x5x2 or 30 cubic foot pig iron container.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why all the speculation?
The circumstantial evidence speaks for itself.
The gold was found.

I reviewed 13 pages of this thread two times over and it took me about 4 hours to know exactly what happened at Dents Run. And, any Judge, anywhere, who read this thread too would know the truth of exactly what "went down" at Dents Run. You can't "explain away" the circumstantial evidence.

Dennis confirmed the evidence of Gold and Silver buried there and that was re-confirmed by the FBI with their measurement equipment. That's proof of their reason to dig. I mean the density proved gold.

If not gold, then what was it that they found and where is it?

I'll tell you what, after the FBI removed the gold, lets rerun Dennis' tests and the FBI density tests and I'll guarantee you that those tests now measure ZERO in the same area they dug. The 9-ton mass with the density of gold and the 7 ton of silver have somehow miraculously disappeared.

Where did it go?

It's likely that the pig iron containers that the gold bars were stored in were reburied. I mean there might be still possible traces of gold on them too? which could be used as forensic evidence or "smoking gun" in this case?
1 cubic foot of gold weighs in at 1200 lbs., so 9 tons of gold bars is 15 cubic feet which can easily fit into a 3x5x2 or 30 cubic foot pig iron container.
You open your comment questioning the need for speculation, then end it with speculation.

What would the purpose be to place the gold bars into a large container after they were carried into a cave?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5? Where did you get this figure? The actual evidence, a witness, reported seeing 1 or 2 armored trucks, and not at the dig site. They also did not identify if they were armored personnel trucks, armored comms trucks, armored bank trucks or armored assault trucks and no pictures were taken of them. With the new evidence, hopefully we can get an answer to what type of truck they were and what they may have been used for.

...and that was re-confirmed by the FBI with their measurement equipment. I mean the density proved gold.
I will say, if you read about the gravimeter, among all tests that can be done, it is the most accurate of them, however, it is not infallible, nor does the testing company claim it as such. It's readings can be affected by conditions such as compacted soil(roads, construction etc), dome structures (voids or caves), tides, user calibration/error and crystalline rocks all of which may have been present at the site.

A gravimeter also does not detect or indicate "gold" or "iron" or "silver" on it's reading, what it measures and reads is gravitational acceleration, which changes depending on what is under it. This reading can then be applied to known elements and the readings can then be said to be "consistent with". For example, a reading of say "19" is consistent with gold.

I'll tell you what, after the FBI removed the gold,
Assumes facts not yet established.

lets rerun Dennis' tests and the FBI density tests and I'll guarantee you that those tests now measure ZERO in the same area they dug.
I believe they did rescan it and came up with no readings of gold or silver. Given that many of the conditions that effect the gravimeter were present at the dig site (caverns, compacted road and perhaps even crystalline structures being it was a cave), it would be consistent that once it was dug up and filled back in, the soil would no longer be as compacted, and any voids would be gone. This isn't uncommon to see with ground measuring devices, once you dig the ground up and fill it back in, the readings can change.

It's likely that the pig iron containers that the gold bars were stored in were reburied.
Assumes facts not yet established.

I mean there might be still possible traces of gold on them too? which could be used as forensic evidence or "smoking gun" in this case?
This is actually a good idea, re excavate the site to look for traces of items i previously listed that may be associated with storage or traces of gold as you mentioned.

And, any Judge, anywhere, who read this thread too would know the truth of exactly what "went down"
While i disagree, I think it's best his attorneys decide when they have enough evidence to proceed with a lawsuit. 20 years of hard work thrown down the drain would be an awful outcome when your case was thrown out because one followed the advice of online speculators.

Last edited:

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The interviewer asked a question about provenance.
Where the gold came from, the story behind it, etc.
But there's another provenance called integrity
You can't see it, but it's there and it's very valuable and something that Dennis and his team possesses.
I've read past threads on his quest and his hard work and patience at Dents Run.
I know his work ethic, his keeping and abiding by the laws in working with DCNR.
He located the treasure a long time ago but was not allowed to dig it up.
He was very patient and worked with the authorities, doing what he could to prove he found it.
And he did, he knows he did, he already pulled part of it out of the ground, bored from the depths.
And after the dig, when the FBI agent told him they found nothing, and to change the name of his business or get out of the business altogether, he had no idea about Dennis' integrity
That's the treasure the FBI "intelligence agent" wished he had but didn't even care to own.
Dennis' Integrity is the real intelligence and treasure you can't put a price tag on or even purchase to own.
That's the provenance of Integrity of 40+ years in the business
and Dennis and his team owns it!

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The interviewer asked a question about provenance.
Where the gold came from, the story behind it, etc.
But there's another provenance called integrity
You can't see it, but it's there and it's very valuable and something that Dennis and his team possesses.
I've read past threads on his quest and his hard work and patience at Dents Run.
I know his work ethic, his keeping and abiding by the laws in working with DCNR.
He located the treasure a long time ago but was not allowed to dig it up.
He was very patient and worked with the authorities, doing what he could to prove he found it.
And he did, he knows he did, he already pulled part of it out of the ground, bored from the depths.
And after the dig, when the FBI agent told him they found nothing, and to change the name of his business or get out of the business altogether, he had no idea about Dennis' integrity
That's the treasure the FBI "intelligence agent" wished he had but didn't even care to own.
Dennis' Integrity is the real intelligence and treasure you can't put a price tag on or even purchase to own.
That's the provenance of Integrity of 40+ years in the business
and Dennis and his team owns it!
You said, (emphasis mine), “He located the treasure a long time ago but was not allowed to dig it up.
And he did, he knows he did, he already pulled part of it out of the ground, bored from the depths.”

I’ve never read where part of the treasure was recovered from bore cores.
Do you have a link to that part of the story?

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not able to post any of the 1,000 pictures YET, We tried everything but its not easy. our lawyer had a company copy them and sent them to us by email. I can say this over 800 of them are 1 picture split into 2 pictures and we think they are video pictures cut and edit to make into camera pictures. If this is true what happened to all the pictures. NONE are of the NIGHT DIG most are of the woods and dirt road . The pictures they show of the dig site are during day 2 and NO FBI agents are on site when the backhoe digs all day to back fill. Why no agents on site, THE GOLD is already dug up and gone from the night dig.
It is not a surprise they heavily documented the reclaim process......probably also alot of what the area looked like before they started.

This is ABC's in excavation / reclimation.

The simple explanation of why there are no pictures at night is because they didnt dig after dark......unless something has been posted that I missed the only photo I saw was from your trail camera at dusk that had the time stamp cropped out.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an interesting piece of the file dated 3/13/2019.

The official closing of the case:

Dentscasecloseform.jpg

King Canslaw

Nov 30, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo

Tue, Jan 4 at 7:46 PM

News

Pennsylvania treasure hunters sue the DOJ in Civil War gold case​

The FBI claims it never found a shipment of lost Civil War gold in Elk County but treasure hunters are suing to get their files.
In this Sept. 20, 2018 photo, Dennis Parada, right, and his son Kem Parada stand at the site of the FBI's dig for Civil War-era gold in Dents Run, Pennsylvania. The FBI says the excavation came up empty, but the Paradas believe investigators might have found the legendary gold cache. (AP Photo/Michael Rubinkam)'s dig for Civil War-era gold in Dents Run, Pennsylvania. The FBI says the excavation came up empty, but the Paradas believe investigators might have found the legendary gold cache. (AP Photo/Michael Rubinkam)

In this Sept. 20, 2018 photo, Dennis Parada, right, and his son Kem Parada stand at the site of the FBI's dig for Civil War-era gold in Dents Run, Pennsylvania. The FBI says the excavation came up empty, but the Paradas believe investigators might have found the legendary gold cache. (AP Photo/Michael Rubinkam)Read moreMichael Rubinkam / AP
by Jason Nark
Published
14 minutes ago
The Pennsylvania treasure hunters on a never-ending quest to find a legendary lost shipment of Civil War gold are suing the Feds for documents.
In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., Dennis Parada, a longtime treasure hunter from Clearfield County, alleges that the FBI has failed to provide him with any records of the case of the Elk County gold, despite a FOIA request filed more than three years ago.
The FBI in Philadelphia spent days digging for gold at Dents Run, in rural Elk County, in March of 2018 based on decades of research by Parada and its own investigation. The FBI has been adamant that nothing was found in the excavation but Parada and his fellow treasure hunters say they do not believe the agency.
Kem Parada, of Finders Keepers, points to rock where he and his father had dug in Elk County, believing a lost shipment of Civil War gold is buried in the area. (Jason Nark/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)
Kem Parada, of Finders Keepers, points to rock where he and his father had dug in Elk County, believing a lost shipment of Civil War gold is buried in the area. (Jason Nark/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)TNS
On May 18, 2018, the Paradas filed a FOIA request to the FBI and according to Anne Weisman, the D.C. attorney who filed the suit, the agency has yet to hand anything over.
“First they said, ‘We don’t have any records.’ Then we said, ‘We have too many records,’ ” Weisman said in an interview. “They have not produced a single record.”
Advertisement
The legend of the Elk County gold dates back to the summer of 1863, when a special Union detachment was tasked with transporting 26 gold bars, each weighing 50 pounds, from West Virginia to the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia. That detachment, as the story goes, was ambushed, the gold lost and supposedly buried.
A Pittsburgh Press article from 1978 on the lost gold of Elk County
A Pittsburgh Press article from 1978 on the lost gold of Elk CountyThe Pittsburgh Press
In June, unsealed documents showed that the FBI believed there was gold at the site. The agency was also concerned that Pennsylvania’s Department of Conservation and Natural Resources could revoke its access to the site, on state land, and claim the gold was “abandoned property” and keep it.
Weisman said the lawsuit is seeking the immediate processing and disclosure of the documents, “at no cost to the plaintiff.”
Attorney William Cluck, who has represented the Paradas for several years, said there are more than 2,700 documents associated with the case.
Cluck said the treasure hunters are particularly interested in documents pertaining to analysis made geophysical consulting firm at the site that produced promising findings. That company, Cluck said, has repeatedly declined to comment about their involvement.
A spokesperson for the FBI did not return requests made Tuesday evening for comment.
Published
Jan. 4, 2022
Jason Nark
Jason Nark
I write stories about rural and exurban areas, the places where development meets farmland and farms meet the great outdoors.
On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 7:13 PM
Won thing i learned long ago was to neva trust the govment or any of thoze groops that half 3 big ledders in there names.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned previously that i was going to obtain a copy of the file myself and am finally getting some of it. (much to go through, so i'll try to post up everything of significance as i sort through it).

First of interest is the full Rettew Gravimeter scan final report done for the FBI (see attached below).

Notable points of interest:

-They make no claims of any elements being detected

-They report "Complications may be present" due to a reported collapsed cave under the scan area

-Densest areas estimated at 19.5 cm3. (Pure elements are as follows: Gold 19.3, Tungsten is 19.2, Uranium 19.05, Plutonium 19.8, Platinum 21, Iridium 22.3, Osmium 22.5 etc. Less dense metals such as lead, could be mixed to produce similar numbers.)

-None of the scan areas densities are consistent with Silver, which is 10.49 cm3.

-Root mean square error between observed densities is 10 percent or less

-Rettew "does not accept responsibility for survey limitations due to unforeseen site specific conditions or technological limitations".

Dentsscan1.jpg
dentscan2.jpg
Dentscan3.jpg
dentscan4.jpg
Dentsscan5.jpg
dentsscan6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Cultural Property Crimes" is mentioned on the 1st page of the FBI documents.

That would align with previous statements concerning possibly finding and disturbing native American remains.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Special note: One of the comments here on Treasurenet ended up making it into the FBI files.

They seem to have been more concerned with documenting the condition of the roads before and after more than anything. Not sure why they would have photos in the file that were black and white and of such poor quality so as to be pretty much worthless. No date stamps.

The photos also appear to document that they excavated well beyond the depths of the anomalies shown on the gravity survey cross sections (but nowhere near the 15 feet depth that I thought the treasure was supposed to be located). A 4’ deep excavation would not take very long at all to complete. Just need some time stamps on the pictures.

26A6EB95-1A29-4517-B90E-1733FEE37F12.jpeg

Last edited:

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point I wouldn't put it past them that they try to charge FK with disturbing a native burial ground.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our gold #16 and silver areas are to upper left on this map
I wonder why they would not have provided a cross section of those specific areas? Does not appear to have been of enough significance for them to even mention in their report, unless I breezed past it. Their plan view does show an area outlined near what you are calling #16, but nothing is mentioned about it. Very odd to say the least considering this was the point of the entire survey. I also notice that their survey does not appear to fully encompass that area at location #16. Maybe that’s why they didn’t cross section the model there?

Last edited:

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's a coincidence but the images of the excavation appear to stop at PG 189 of file 4 of 4. From that point forward the images seem to depict site restoration and wrap-up. Seems strange that so many images were captured before and during and after the process. Why in pics 187-189 does the machine appear to be in the process of breaking rock with the hoe ram and in pic 190, it's all over and done with? No more machine at the dig site and all appears restored.

At the point of breaking through rock, it would seem to have put them on the cusp of breaking through the cave ceiling. Is it possible the excavation did not go deep enough? Hard to see any transition from earth/rock to a potential void in these images. Even if the cave was collapsed, surely some indication of a prior void could be detected.

Better quality images would be helpful in examining the tire tracks at base camp. Seems to reason if armored trucks were loaded with gold at a rendezvous point these type of tire tracks would be evident and the ground considerably more disturbed than in images recorded prior to the dig in that area.

Is there any record of the machine hour meter readings before and after the dig? Stands to reason that if grossly misaligned, (i.e. 20 hours elapsed on machine vs. reported 8 hours) this would have to be explained.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread