Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They made a duplex unit that used a trommel to feed it. I really don’t think it will work well as a dry machine, they have dubious recovery rates even with water. My family’s spot was sampled with one back in the 70ies the story is it blew out all the fines, they had to rerun all the samples through a sluice box, after that they ran a sluice on the discharge trough. I saw this one for sale at Lunds in Nevada they wanted 2,500. It has all parts, the water pump is mounted inline with the shaker mechanism so it used a single small engine. New OEM parts are impossible to find for it, if the rubber pans are shot you will need to figure out how to make new ones. In my opinion they are an antique curiosity and there are cheaper lighter more functional things available now. It’s like the Stampmill, having a small Stampmill would be fun if your a nerd like me but they are slow and need specialty replacement parts such as replacement dies and shoes which cannot be fabricated by shoestring operations on the fly.
I hear what you are saying as the rubber mat pans are garbage by now. Think one will have to rebuild the whole pan set up or start from scratch.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you go back to look at it can you take some pictures of it?
Not a bad idea if the fellow does not mind.
I'm thinking I could use a lot of the metal if he really wants to get rid of it. I think it needs to be built from the basic useable parts from scratch.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I payed a machinist to rebuild my crusher core frame and bearings it costed like 2 1/2 times what I though it would. I'm thinking this project has to start very low as a base cost to even think about it.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the lowest price anyone has seen these units?

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Must be antique value.
Correct as no one in there right mind would pay that to use as is. Most likely a whole new pan system would have to be made today. I think the rubber / coco mat pans are garbage. I really did not look at the unit very much at all as I could not pick up the heavy pan units by hand.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To bad I can't show an example of a panning unit selling for non antique price out there.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

There is this thing that operates in a similar manner.

Yes works the same way and concept of collecting most of the heavies down at the bottom.

The only reason I'm willing to go through the trouble of rebuilding a large boat anker is to run tons of materials through it in a short time frame on a claim itself as well to control the mesh size process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

There is this thing that operates in a similar manner.

After thinking about it you make a great point of going very small scale is smart. The project is to big a project and to hard to move around. Thanks.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to thank everyone for saving me some real money with your inputs.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that the weather is getting better I may go take another look at the Denver pan. I'm sure the price is still way to high........lol
The only good part is the shaking action shaft.

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
Gold slinging, finicky to surges, finger pinching, dont work if it aint EXACTLY LEVEL on both axis, piece of junk. God forbid a pan is warped from sitting with material in it or smacked by shovel while loading. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold slinging, finicky to surges, finger pinching, dont work if it aint EXACTLY LEVEL on both axis, piece of junk. God forbid a pan is warped from sitting with material in it or smacked by shovel while loading. Hope that helps.
This is part of the reason I prefer just a large pan with a swirl type of action as the exactly level is not as important.
Yea the denver pan is over rated.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is part of the reason I prefer just a large pan with a swirl type of action as the exactly level is not as important.
Yea the denver pan is over rated.
Overrated? Seems like everyone that has experience with them find them lacking. More like an interesting object from mining history than a viable piece of equipment.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Overrated? Seems like everyone that has experience with them find them lacking. More like an interesting object from mining history than a viable piece of equipment.
The only half decent factor I could see with out using the Denver pan was the crank for the movement of the pans. The pans looked like to me that almost all the heavies could not be contained in the pans.
There was no real effective control going on with the feed and pan movement at all. The water pump had some flow control however very little from just looking at the pan setup that I looked at.

The simple sluice box and rocker has been around much longer then the Denver pan and is well proven through out history.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I'm thinking this one is foolish enough to go back take a better look and make an offer on it to see what happens.......lol
Well I did not take a a second look (thank goodness) however did make offer that was refused just for the crank part of the machine.

It will cost a lot less to machine a crank and make my own large pan. No real reason to take a second look as the setup is poorly designed for finer values.
Thank goodness for this forum site to talk with others first before taking a flying leap............lol.

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
Well I did not take a a second look (thank goodness) however did make offer that was refused just for the crank part of the machine.

It will cost a lot less to machine a crank and make my own large pan. No real reason to take a second look as the setup is poorly designed for finer values.
Thank goodness for this forum site to talk with others first before taking a flying leap............lol.
Made a crank system from a gas post hole digger and the speed(gearbox) was just right, long time ago. Also used blades to reduce clay balls in a chute. Used one as a feed chute on a fire engine sluice/classifier, too. Maybe a different forum?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread