Depth vs Sensitivity settings

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did a little airtest experiment with the Treasure Pro today. I was wondering how much depth was lost by reducing the sensitivity and was surprised at my findings. In comparing sens level 6 to sens level 8 on a dime, very little depth is lost, probably about .5 inches. At 5 it took a big drop by about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. I was only measuring signals that would give both good audio and accurate VDI readings. It gave me a little more confidence in lowering to 6 in trashy or EMI proned locations without losing much depth. I was just curious if anyone else has tested this and got the same or similar results.
Pesc

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great test and post! Most new detectorist's think that maxing out sensitivity gives them more depth, when in reality, it can reduce depth in high mineral soils. The key is experimentation with your machine in your soils. I rarely move my sensitivity past 7, and usually hunt between 6-7. Great point Pescadore! :skullflag:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just one more tip some people overlook is, never do air test wearing like a wedding ring or any other jewelry that is close to the coil. A lot forget they have it on.:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post doesn't say if it was air test or in ground test. Air tests are not really a very accurate test, tests on buried targets in a test garden are far more accurate tests.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one more tip some people overlook is, never do air test wearing like a wedding ring or any other jewelry that is close to the coil. A lot forget they have it on.:laughing7:

kinda like that phantom signal that disappears when you dig because your wearing shores with metal in them...LOL

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your post doesn't say if it was air test or in ground test. Air tests are not really a very accurate test, tests on buried targets in a test garden are far more accurate tests.

You are right about airtest not being a very accurate test and that's why I didn't list any specific depth numbers because they can be very unreliable. The difference in comparing sensitivity levels however should stay the same since you haven't changed any of the boundries of the test only the sensitivity level of the detector. I was just surprised on the slight change in dropping the sensitivity from 8 which is max and 6 which is 2 notches down. When I went down to 5, I saw a drastic drop.

Drew32215

Mar 5, 2016
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6 w/ 9.5” concentric coil, and eclipse 6x10 dd coil. Whites bullseye 140mm pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not yet, but the other day I just ordered a new Whites M6 machine and I plan on doing air test & ground tests before before I run to the beach with it, then I’ll come back to post my results. Something that I didn’t do when I was running my Garrett was to keep a written log book which might be useful in learning a new machine. Your frequency rating on your machine is something to consider too.

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No not yet, but the other day I just ordered a new Whites M6 machine and I plan on doing air test & ground tests before before I run to the beach with it, then I’ll come back to post my results. Something that I didn’t do when I was running my Garrett was to keep a written log book which might be useful in learning a new machine. Your frequency rating on your machine is something to consider too.

The log book is a good idea. I started one when I got my F70 but I didn't keep it up after I exchanged it for the Treasure Pro. I need to start it back up tomorrow since it will be a new month. The M6 is a good machine. I really liked mine and it performed nicely. I think I have a video or two with the M6 on my YouTube page if I remember correctly. Good luck with your new machine !!!

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I double checked and have a video of the M6 hitting a 10 inch dime and 12 inch quarter in a well established test bed near my old hometown. I was using the 10X12 SEF coil on the M6.

TWray

Sep 5, 2016
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know how much this is related. If I run my machine at sen. 6 and come across a very suspect target, does cranking it up to 8 help to clarify the target? I’ve tried this and I don’t see much if any of a difference. But maybe I’m off in thinking what sensitivity is. Or something else.

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know how much this is related. If I run my machine at sen. 6 and come across a very suspect target, does cranking it up to 8 help to clarify the target? I’ve tried this and I don’t see much if any of a difference. But maybe I’m off in thinking what sensitivity is. Or something else.

It might help depending on which machine you are using. I see in your stats that you show that you use an AT Pro. I am not sure how much effect the sensitivity will have on the ATpro because I have very little experience with one. On my Treasure Pro there is about a 1/2 difference from 6 to 8 in an airtest of a dime. I would think that if you are getting an iffy signal at 6 and crank it to 8 you should see some difference if it is in range of the detector.

Drew32215

Mar 5, 2016
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6 w/ 9.5” concentric coil, and eclipse 6x10 dd coil. Whites bullseye 140mm pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I double checked and have a video of the M6 hitting a 10 inch dime and 12 inch quarter in a well established test bed near my old hometown. I was using the 10X12 SEF coil on the M6.

Thanks for letting me know. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on buying a 10x12 SEF for my M6 and I think I will. I’m in southern Ca, and the mineralization here is high with hot rocks. 10” dime and 12” quarter is excellent. I’ll check out the video.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You can get the same results with the Tesoro Vaquero and the 12" x 10" concentric. Fairly common with good machines. :skullflag:

Drew32215

Mar 5, 2016
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m also considering getting a Detech 13” Ultimate coil. That will be down the road a ways. All I need to do is find a ring or two on the beach first with the coils I already have then I’ll upgrade lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread