Detailed route to Adams gold

chev81

Jul 18, 2018
tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick point, from a new member on an old thread. Snively/Shaeffer would have known that the Bear Creek placers had been claimed, but he would not necessarily known that this was where they were going when they set out. Once they got there, it is no wonder he was anxious to leave as soon as he could, and later claimed the gold he had was from elsewhere.
Great thread scdfia, I went and looked for the LAD in the Datils area in the mid 80's, but was not ready for all the deep sandy washes with a 1-wheel drive vehicle. It has always bothered me that the area north of the Plains of San Augustine never had any real showing of gold. Your theory has many points in its favor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a quick point, from a new member on an old thread. Snively/Shaeffer would have known that the Bear Creek placers had been claimed, but he would not necessarily known that this was where they were going when they set out. Once they got there, it is no wonder he was anxious to leave as soon as he could, and later claimed the gold he had was from elsewhere.
Great thread scdfia, I went and looked for the LAD in the Datils area in the mid 80's, but was not ready for all the deep sandy washes with a 1-wheel drive vehicle. It has always bothered me that the area north of the Plains of San Augustine never had any real showing of gold. Your theory has many points in its favor.

Thanks, '81. I believe Snively knew exactly where he was going from the beginning.

It's been three years since I posted anything about the LAD here, but I finally got a little serious and put together a detailed paper about it. Just finished it Monday, in fact. It's a much better effort than my earlier posts in this thread, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I may flesh it out a bit more if I can identify more of the participants. It's a 25-page pdf file now, with another hundred pages of the best-known LAD accounts that have been published (none in the past 80 years).

chev81

Jul 18, 2018
tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scdfia-
A problem I had with your theory was that Snively's gold supposedly came from 125 miles north of Pinos Altos, according to an account referred to in Jack Purcell's book. If Snively had illicitly mined local placers he would have good reason to tell a big lie about where the gold came from.
Obviously we would love to see your opus!

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
scdfia-
A problem I had with your theory was that Snively's gold supposedly came from 125 miles north of Pinos Altos, according to an account referred to in Jack Purcell's book. If Snively had illicitly mined local placers he would have good reason to tell a big lie about where the gold came from.
Obviously we would love to see your opus!

You may have partially answered your own question. First, the account Jack was referring to was a statement made by Snively himself. Now re-read your second sentence.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Been meaning to post this for awhile...for anyone like me that's a relative late-comer to the conversation here, I recently picked up a copy of Steve's (sdcfia) book "New Mexico Confidential". Very good book with a "new" (not sure how well known the story is, it was new for me) and intriguing treasure story and the hunt for it. Highly recommended...now, I hope he publishes something on the Lost Adams!

nudge...

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Been meaning to post this for awhile...for anyone like me that's a relative late-comer to the conversation here, I recently picked up a copy of Steve's (sdcfia) book "New Mexico Confidential". Very good book with a "new" (not sure how well known the story is, it was new for me) and intriguing treasure story and the hunt for it. Highly recommended...now, I hope he publishes something on the Lost Adams!

nudge...

Thanks for the compliment Jim.

After I did a quick-and-dirty on the LAD at the beginning of this thread off the top of my head, I got more serious about the subject and put together a better (IMO) 25-page draft. I'm pleased with it, but I want to add more evidence to support my conclusions that the diggings were never lost and that Adams was not a credible witness. I need to document more of the deposit's history, identify more of the participants and provide additional back story on Snively, Swilling and others. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time getting motivated because I've been pretty busy with life. Maybe your nudge will take hold.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation for publishing your own book, Steve.
Judging from your dedication to collect facts and not assumptions, I believe your book was made for a good read.
I wish the best for you and your book and continue the good work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulation for publishing your own book, Steve.
Judging from your dedication to collect facts and not assumptions, I believe your book was made for a good read.
I wish the best for you and your book and continue the good work.

Thanks, Marius, I appreciate your kind words.

My girlfriend and I love your home country of Greece and will be leaving tomorrow for a month’s visit. We’re anxious to return and will be on Crete the entire time. καλή υγεία σε σας

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Marius, I appreciate your kind words.

My girlfriend and I love your home country of Greece and will be leaving tomorrow for a month’s visit. We’re anxious to return and will be on Crete the entire time. καλή υγεία σε σας

Have a great vacation Steve ! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread