---DETECT CORRECTLY OR DONT DETECT--- Have permission - Fill your holes - Dispose of trash properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all of you that are new to this craft.

When you do not adhere to the above three things... you threaten the craft of metal detecting.

I for one... did not spend my life building a relationship with everyone from Park Rangers on to have some "newbie" screw it up because they got a detector and decided they were just going to detect "the way they want" and screw everyone else.

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even when I'm detecting miles back in the woods, I fill my holes back in, I don't want anyone to know I was there. Probably no one will be at that exact spot for decades, but I fill in anyways. I have come across open holes where someone dug, way back in, it's ugly.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even when I'm detecting miles back in the woods, I fill my holes back in, I don't want anyone to know I was there. Probably no one will be at that exact spot for decades, but I fill in anyways. I have come across open holes where someone dug, way back in, it's ugly.
You sir... are an example of the correct thinking that speaks volumes to your character.
Well done and THE WAY to do it.
Its called... RESPECT.

The World is lacking in this... and I for one will fight the good fight to ensure the fabric of this craft is not unwound by the pulling of those threads.

"If your not part of the solution - your part of the problem".

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great guidance ARC. Thank you for sharing.
I’m curious: was there an incident that prompted you to share this guidance, or are you just expecting that there will be a lot of new detectorists using their new Christmas presents soon?
- Brian

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great guidance ARC. Thank you for sharing.
I’m curious: was there an incident that prompted you to share this guidance, or are you just expecting that there will be a lot of new detectorists using their new Christmas presents soon?
- Brian
I was handed a detector as a kid... and a tongue lashing soon after that.
once early on i was digging around with the mentality of "i will fill holes later / after".
was chasing a signal i stepped backwards and directly into hole... shoe and hole were not a match.
limped out and was sore for days and thought... "damn i almost broke my ankle".
After that i knew that filling holes was not just "an eyesore problem".

Trash issue is a no brainer... have always been amazed... even after all these years... the overall inconsideration of people... sad.
And someone has to try and help the problem by REMOVING IT... not just moving it.
The no respect of the Earth and others... just never sat well with me.
I don't care if its a inconvenience or not... or multiple trips to remove.
The only time i leave something is if it cannot be removed.. OR shouldn't be.

All the newer folks can thank people like myself and the other "in the know" veteran detectorists... FOR... the fact you can now days detect a one square foot area... let alone an entire beach.... and not be digging every second with trash to your ankles.

No thanks wanted or needed. heh

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because Amazon's, Harbor Freights, Wal-Marts and Sporting goods stores sell detectors doesn't mean you have the right to use it anywhere and anyway you see fit or please... and does not give you the right to affect anyone else outside OF YOUR OWN yard... let alone public parks and beaches or anywhere for that matter.

Don't want to follow "The MD code"... Then.... DO IT ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also...
I would like to take this thread / opportunity to address another major problem in the craft.
Its the... detecting around people who are not detecting.... IE: sunbathers ... relaxing people etc.

Sheesh man.... arrrg..... where to start on the INCONSIDERATION of others dealio.... arrrg this...
I mean.... heh.... IF you dont have enough common sense to NOT DETECT CLOSE / NEAR SOMEONE OR AKA.... in other peoples "SPACE".... IE : within what i call regular level speaking EARSHOT of someone.
Then you are probably also guilty of other bad detecting forms.

JUST BECAUSE you bought a metal detector..............
Does not give you the right to detect wherever you feel like it... because "i can"... or "I'm allowed".... Or whatever selfish crapola reason.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well said ARC and this needs to be stated multiple times throughout the year! I have posted this sign before, but it needs to be shown again with an explanation...

Detecting Sign.jpg

I had been detecting this local park for over ten years and started to see open holes in the grass with the grass plugs laying a few feet away and a piece of trash (pulltab, can slaw) laying next to the hole. I was spending hours cleaning up and repairing their holes instead of doing any detecting. Unfortunately, the grounds keeper got tired of the mess and posted the sign. I asked him why he didn't put "DO NOT LITTER" on the sign and he had no comment. About all you can do now in that park is walk around.

I have always wondered what goes on inside the head of a litterbug and can only assume that they must also trash their own place too. One more sign that was posted here that says it all...

litter sign.jpg

Attachments

• litter sign.jpg
    litter sign.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my eyes go to on the first sign is the "No metal detecting"...
And lets rewind time to "why" this became todays reality.

Some places do not allow detecting anyway... due to historical / natural / ? sig or whatever etc.
So... those "off limit" places will NEVER EVEN CONSIDER allowing it... EVER... if this craft is associated with disrespect of any kind... and you cannot blame em.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also.... whew... :P

I would like to take this thread /opportunity to address another major problem in the craft.

Its the... detecting around people WHO ARE NOT detecting.

Sheesh man.... arrrg..... where to start on the INCONSIDERATION of others dealio.... arrrg this...

I mean.... heh.... IF YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH common sense... to NOT DETECT CLOSE / NEAR SOMEONE OR AKA.... in other peoples "SPACE".... IE : within what i call regular level speaking EARSHOT of someone.

Then stay again,,,, ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY !

JUST BECAUSE you thought detecting looked cool or whatever your thinking was when you bought your detector was...

Does NOT give you the "Badge of BALLS to detect where wherever you feel like it... OR because "i can"... or "Im allowed".... Or whatever selfish crapola reason.
As I age my values are rooted in deeper.
Was brought up never to litter, trash, dig it = take it away.
Be invisible to the world when detecting and especially when one leaves a site.
Meaning that the plug/hole should be.

Yet folks just are too wrapped up in their own self serving worlds of how many clicks and likes does it get them.

At the expense of others.
After over 50yrs of digging I am not impressed with some that go about this as if it was their own wrecking machine.
On your own property do what ever, but on public and other private land be responsible and respectful to others that are.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do parks most of the time, whee sometimes, Dog Owners don't pick up the animal's s--T...!
Not paying attention, I've stepped into that stuff, and I had to do major cleaning, before the wife would let me in the house...!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do parks most of the time, whee sometimes, Dog Owners don't pick up the animal's s--T...!
Not paying attention, I've stepped into that stuff, and I had to do major cleaning, before the wife would let me in the house...!
Yep......... some people.

Last edited:

Bamasteve

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2022
Very far north of where I’d rather be
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 400
Garrett carrot
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Pro-find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen and preach on brother! I’ve only been detecting now for a couple of years and have come across areas with open holes and trash left about, it’s a shame that some other people’s children have such disrespect for shared areas!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the SINGLE MOST important thing when you click on that detector at a public or permitted private setting...

The abilities / freedoms given to perform this ever fragile craft should be protected... and as a whole MD'rs should always "tread lightly" and with respect in order to preserve what little is left for us to detect.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, I remember a book called, "Looking out for Number One"...

PRO07702285.jpg

When I'm out detecting, I live by the latest version which is, "Looking Out for Number Two".

ARC, me thinks is time for a Rum Slushie by the fire...what say you!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, I remember a book called, "Looking out for Number One"...

PRO07702285.jpg

When I'm out detecting, I live by the latest version which is, "Looking Out for Number Two".

ARC, me thinks is time for a Rum Slushie by the fire...what say you!
Im flying if your buy'n .... :).... :P

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for you. I have never dug a park in 50 years of detecting. My digging is in the woods. The only thing I step in is deer poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread