---DETECT CORRECTLY OR DONT DETECT--- Have permission - Fill your holes - Dispose of trash properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 inches or less, probe for the target. Find the edge, and lever it up. Push the soil back down with your fingers. A few seconds to recover, no digging. You can get pretty quick after learning this stoneage before pinpointers technique. One plus is a long thin screwdriver doesn't seem to rile up the busybodies as bad as a digger.
One thing I forgot was the thin 8" -22"screw driver you could avoid the dreaded bottle caps by tapping. I think Arc has a picture of a mad man stabbing away. Insert the screwdriver as if you were probing for land mines.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I forgot was the thin 8" -22"screw driver you could avoid the dreaded bottle caps by tapping. I think Arc has a picture of a mad man stabbing away. Insert the screwdriver as if you were probing for land mines.
I still cannot fathom using a screwdriver to retrieve any target.
In fact... to be honest...
And not to "dog you" or anything... in other words no offense... but... i can safely assume in my mind anyway... that no matter what... i will not have to go "try" to use a screwdriver to test the claims that it can be used... to know....... that its an absurd notion to think that a screwdriver is in any way shape or form ... any way a useful OR even remotely "good" at anything having to do with the retrieval of ANY metal detected target.

Sorry.... but this ship don't sail in my mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Furthermore....... if a list was compiled of the absolute worst things to use for anything having to do with metal detecting....

screwdriver would be #1 on the list.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Furthermore....... if a list was compiled of the absolute worst things to use for anything having to do with metal detecting....

Found my only digging tool choice one day was a Swiss Army knife in my pocket.
Happened to be a very gravelly soil.
I'd have rather had a screw driver than a folding knife that day!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my only digging tool choice one day was a Swiss Army knife in my pocket.
Happened to be a very gravelly soil.
I'd have rather had a screw driver than a folding knife that day!
You should have your detector taken away and put in "time out"... for at least the seeable future.

:P

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might as well use a broom.... heh

At least a buttterknife would be better... sheesh

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Arc, I use two types of screwdrivers when detecting. The first one has the sharp corners filed off so it is essentially a rounded point. The second screwdriver is modified in that, the Vodka is replaced with Rum! This causes me to detect very slowly and not miss a deep target!

screwdriver.jpg

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arc, I use two types of screwdrivers when detecting. The first one has the sharp corners filed off so it is essentially a rounded point. The second screwdriver is modified in that, the Vodka is replaced with Rum! This causes me to detect very slowly and not miss a deep target!

View attachment 2065221
I like the second screwdriver better.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's another great reason to carry a screwdriver with you when detecting that hasn't been mentioned. If you are "lucky" enough to step in a yard bomb (doodoo) while detecting, it works great to remove the remnants from the grooves in the bottom of your shoe! ARC, what color handle do you want on the screwdriver I am sending you?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's another great reason to carry a screwdriver with you when detecting that hasn't been mentioned. If you are "lucky" enough to step in a yard bomb (doodoo) while detecting, it works great to remove the remnants from the grooves in the bottom of your shoe! ARC, what color handle do you want on the screwdriver I am sending you?
Thanks for the offer but i have many a screwdriver. :)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
His favorite color is pink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread