---DETECT CORRECTLY OR DONT DETECT--- Have permission - Fill your holes - Dispose of trash properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3/4 of my detecting years were with no pin-pointer... and JFYI... I have and will always use a scoop.
I have tried just about every digging tool made on earth... in fact i cannot think of many i haven't.... from antique to modern sprinkler shovels and everything in between... i have invented half a dozen myself and helped in the development of a line of stainless scoops that are bar none to anything out there.

With all this jibber jabber I can say that even when doing / working with ordinance removal ... the smallest item ever incorporated into tools of the trade... by me or anyone else was a large knife.

Look i commend you all who have retrieved things with a screwdriver.
Personally i would never even try it.
If they said "no digging allowed"... i would not even metal detect it... so I have no need.
Nor would i even risk damage to anything i was attempting to retrieve with one.

Just me.

And rest assured ... I can tell you... I am in the treasure state... metal detecting capitol of the World....
And no one round here ever heard of such folly.
Don't use a screwdriver on the beach, parks are where I use it, there are no potholes to worry about the grass dying, slice the sod, probe to get the depth of the target then recover it.

The man who used to make and sell these sold a lot of them, the 2 sizes are 7/8" and 1 1/4 inch.

Attachments

• EZ-Dig-R.jpg
    EZ-Dig-R.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 27

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently discovered these motorcycle tire spoons. Bought a couple online for real cheap. They work great and make it much easier to "pull" the target from under the grass. With that and the probe my recovery time is 15-20 seconds for coins up to 3" deep.

I do hunt parks where digging is not allowed (Sparks, NV). But for most targets, it's just faster than digging and may save some hunting sites from closure.

Just because you see some goons make a video that don't know how to do it doesn't mean it doesn't work.
I'm going to pick up one of the motorcycle tire spoons to try out, thanks for the idea.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
3/4 of my detecting years were with no pin-pointer... and JFYI... I have and will always use a scoop.
I have tried just about every digging tool made on earth... in fact i cannot think of many i haven't.... from antique to modern sprinkler shovels and everything in between... i have invented half a dozen myself and helped in the development of a line of stainless scoops that are bar none to anything out there.

With all this jibber jabber I can say that even when doing / working with ordinance removal ... the smallest item ever incorporated into tools of the trade... by me or anyone else was a large knife.

Look i commend you all who have retrieved things with a screwdriver.
Personally i would never even try it.
If they said "no digging allowed"... i would not even metal detect it... so I have no need.
Nor would i even risk damage to anything i was attempting to retrieve with one.

Just me.

And rest assured ... I can tell you... I am in the treasure state... metal detecting capitol of the World....
And no one round here ever heard of such folly.
"Everyone to his own taste," said the old woman as she kissed her cow. "

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense...
And I have also detected with and known veteran detectorists my entire life...
Just wanted to add that this well known veteran treasure hunter, the late Charles Garrett wrote in his 2008 book about the method of using a dull screwdriver......he wrote that, knowing that for many who have practiced it, that it had success. I post this so that many new detectorists who read this thread will not think that those of us who have put our hands up and said," We know of and use this technique " are wrong just because one person says it is wrong and retarded to even think that this was ever a coin retrieval tecnique. ......That's all I got to say about that........heh. : p
Screenshot_20230126_211215_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230126_211204_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230126_211151_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126_211254_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126_211254_Drive.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 16

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Even at the beach I try and fill in the holes with sand.
Shake my head a the deep holes the "kids" dig with their toys.
Deep enough to cause injury if someone were to step into them at night.
And we get blamed for it the next day.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry... never have been a big Garrett user.

Owned a few... have a few now even... hanging round for my girl and any "tag alongs".
:)

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry... never have been a big Garrett user.

Owned a few... have a few now even... hanging round for my girl and any "tag alongs".
:)
What does that have to do with anything?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does that have to do with anything?
It means i was / am not a big Garrett fan... SO... the MEGA amounts of books the dude wrote were of no interest to me.
Thats what is has to do with.

I did like the GT2500 i had for a while... had button issues but was great change device.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry had to edit above from "machine" (i hate that word used for a metal detector) (beings it is NOT a machine)... to "device".... which is what it is.

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It means i was / am not a big Garrett fan... SO... the MEGA amounts of books the dude wrote were of no interest to me.
Thats what is has to do with.

I did like the GT2500 i had for a while... had button issues but was great change device.
Since you seem to be so knowledgeable about everything, perhaps you should consider writing a series of books on the subject. You said, "In over 40 years i have never once ever seen OR heard of anyone using a screwdriver for retrieval of an item of any sort," yet you carry on like you are an expert in the matter. And just because you may not be a Garrett fan, it seems rather narrow-minded to dismiss the man's knowledge.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you seem to be so knowledgeable about everything, perhaps you should consider writing a series of books on the subject. You said, "In over 40 years i have never once ever seen OR heard of anyone using a screwdriver for retrieval of an item of any sort," yet you carry on like you are an expert in the matter. And just because you may not be a Garrett fan, it seems rather narrow-minded to dismiss the man's knowledge.
No one "dismissed anything"...
I have / had no interest in it.

I learned how to metal detect from those who detected for a living... hands on... back as a kid... when you could metal detect for a living.

I have no interest in writing a book about metal detecting... heh... thats why i joined a forum.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look... truth be known... and you can continue to say what you want...

But... IMO... using a screwdriver to retrieve anything in the ground is... um...... lol..... "funny".

Just to stay on the "lighter" side of my opinion. heh

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
No one "dismissed anything"...
I have / had no interest in it.

I learned how to metal detect from those who detected for a living... hands on... back as a kid... when you could metal detect for a living.
... and?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ARC .. Here is one I'm sure you will scoff at, too, but here is one I made and it has been my primary digging tool for many years. I have never marred a target with it. It has become substantially shorter over the years, but I have another one as a spare.
Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 8.39.04 AM.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Look... truth be known... and you can continue to say what you want...

But... IMO... using a screwdriver to retrieve anything in the ground is... um...... lol..... "funny".

Just to stay on the "lighter" side of my opinion. heh
I should try one.

One job we carried 14 inch or bigger heavy drivers in back pockets.
Much better than getting fingers pinched in a conveyorized chain line.
And dexterity was surprising after a while.
I shouldn't have , but taught a couple co workers how to stick them point forward into wood targets from about 12 feet.
It got out of hand (literally) when I was challenged to hit a spot on a sign about twenty feet off the floor. Didn't expect the result of it hanging by one wire support after.

Gravelly soils it might help. Or fishing under too big a root. ( I don't like cutting smaller roots either.)
Often being drier inside tree canopy driplines , the less soil displaced near trunks (or under) and replaced after the better.

Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ARC .. Here is one I'm sure you will scoff at, too, but here is one I made and it has been my primary digging tool for many years. I have never marred a target with it. It has become substantially shorter over the years, but I have another one as a spare. View attachment 2066673
nope... this i like... perhaps with only one side serrated though.

pmb333

Greenie
Nov 4, 2004
NE Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro & Compass
Ya know ARC, because of you, all these first time detectorists whom got a brand new detector for Christmas, will be terrified to step out their door with detector in hand. What if they leave a 1/4'' uncovered hole exposed, not filled in. A tiny piece of foil left on the ground. Terrified of you and your "DETECT CORRECTLY'' posse watching every dig. Shame on you.
Just add an "HIE" to the "ARC".

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know ARC, because of you, all these first time detectorists whom got a brand new detector for Christmas, will be terrified to step out their door with detector in hand. What if they leave a 1/4'' uncovered hole exposed, not filled in. A tiny piece of foil left on the ground. Terrified of you and your "DETECT CORRECTLY'' posse watching every dig. Shame on you.
Shame on whoever does not follow the code.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would we expect to find that book series in the Fiction isle or the Fantasy isle.........:laughing7:heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread