---DETECT CORRECTLY OR DONT DETECT--- Have permission - Fill your holes - Dispose of trash properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to see you scoop out a hole like this!
Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 8.21.59 PM.jpg

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing is believing .. make a video of you doing the impossible and perhaps you will convince me. Until such time I will remain skeptical of your claims.
Perhaps one day i will... or you can remain a skeptic if i dont :P

Kinda like my trade secrets staying close so dont hold your breath.
Thats all i need is to help improve other detectorists skills... areas are pounded enough around me without helping them pound them even more.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see you scoop out a hole like this! View attachment 2068356
lol... damn near it once. heh

No... in that instance i would have broken out my Vietnam era U.S. military folding trenching shovel which is in the MD box that goes with me... just would have to make a trip back to the vehicle to get it is all.

That is... unless i was anticipating something like this and i would have probed it.

Also... my probe... did i mention my five foot long T handle custom made stainless probe complete with taper arrowhead... ? ? ?

Like butter baby.

And i would have probed that hole long before getting to that point.

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Also... my probe... did i mention my five foot long T handle custom made stainless probe complete with taper arrowhead... ? ? ?

Like butter baby.
I prefer spring steel over stainless.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer spring steel over stainless.
I have a steel one as well... with fiberglass handle.... it is long rusted... still works... just harder to work it.
Stainless is smoother... not just because of the rust... it just is IMO.
Has to to with point shape as well along with that rust / pit drag.

Which is paramount to being easier or harder... its all in the head vs the shaft. :/... hmmm that did not sound right. :P

As long as point is larger than the shaft by a margin and a long conical shape tip that tapers hard to a relatively sharp point... your good.

PS... tried all them as well... and nope still no screwdriver ... OTHER THAN... the old 18 inch Philips head screwdriver i grinded to a point for a smaller probe,.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see some of the amazing coins, buttons, colonial artifacts, bottles and all of the other great things you have dug up all around the world with that sand scoop. Surely you have them all close by for you to show off.....I don't think I have seen ANY yet in all these years......except that big pull tab. Not talking about rings from the beaches or any internet pics.........

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stainless probes are now made and sold btw,...years now for all i know.
I would like to see some of the amazing coins, buttons, colonial artifacts, bottles and all of the other great things you have dug up all around the world with that sand scoop. Surely you have them all close by for you to show off.....I don't think I have seen ANY yet in all these years......except that big pull tab. Not talking about rings from the beaches or any internet pics.........
Pull tab was my best find. :).. jk

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple stuff.

Never even dug a super old coin... not for lack of trying or opportunity.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No massive chains... or Spanish reales... or a treasure chest...

Nope... i havent had that winning number ever come in yet

As far as England went... i eyeballed a bottle neck from the 1500's and little else.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now... i am not syaing i havent found anything... heh

I have found things... including all the things in your list... most were donated... and i have some still.

And i wouldn't be opposed to sharing some pics with you.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now... with that dancing in your head... its time to get horizontal now... past my bedtime. :)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quoting Arc from several occassions towards others............................... "no pics....it never happened"
AHHH so you have been paying attention... :P

You know... well i guess it is time... to explain "my detecting"...
First... Metal detecting has been a very small part of a very hectic life... it has been in my life as more a back burner hobby than anything... and as far back as i can remember... its something i was exposed to very young VIA my parents friends... who one of which is the most famous of all time.. not at detecting... but in finding.
See... i was not a "metal detectorist"... i just had one and did it from time to time.... mostly when i was bored and had absolutely nothing else to do... which was not all that often... and that sorta still applies today.
BUT... it has been in my life since first seeing a detector back in the 70's.. along with diving and some other back burner things.
In fact...
It has been well over a year since the last time i even detected... for ... life does not permit me to it seems these days.
pictures have not been something i ever needed or should i say... felt the want / need to do... i never really found anything in the last decades that deserved photos either.
There are some times i wished cameras were around like they are today way back... and the type of cameras as well.
The bulk of my time in dirt and sand is mostly back in my youth and especially sand.

And you may find this funny... I spent most of my youth on THE actual Treasure Island. ( no joke)
Which stoked my imagination every day i heard the name... and fueled my interest in treasure and pirates and blah blah blah.
I read books feverishly all of my youth and beings my mother was a sub teacher and guidance counselor she kinda forced this upon me... my books of choice were anything having to do with THIS.
I was an only child who had severe adhd (still do) and took Ritalin for hyperactivity in my younger years... and played on a beach or dirt daily.
I would (before detector) crawl around the bases of the parking meters digging around using only my hands for change to go to the store for a drink and candy etc. (elementary school era)
I did this at beaches... Downtown waiting for my dad... anywhere i saw a meter.
My parents took note obviously and would hear stories about a friend they had who had found real lost stuff.
I wanted to know more... and that's how it began.
Enter detector.
In those days... cheapo detectors kinda sucked... they worked ... but not that well and i had no one to show me how to use one... so i just sorta was content with change tabs and nails i was 10-11 years old roughly... then it died and ending up in trash.
Sorta lost interest for a bit...until.... i met the person my parents were talking about.
Enter Mel Fisher meeting... age 12ish... (my avatar is THE ONLY picture i have of those days... wish cameras were around like they are now then) my mother took that with no notice,,, i just turned around and she took it. (my mother knew Deo (Mels wife) from some earlier point is how it began)
Wish she would have taken more that day of me with all the other things.
That day... lit a fire in me that still burns today... although i must admit... not as strong... for a long time after that day i was die hard into anything having to do with it.
Mel fisher offered me a real job looking for his next ship and the one they dreamed of... after hearing of my swimming abilities and that i was a certified PADI Junior Open Water Diver which I got after being shipped off to military school the year before.
That's was it... i was going to be a real treasure hunter when i turned 16 (TSI insurance issue) which was the deal with Mel.
Fast forward...5 years pass ... those following years were a blur of .. ah hem.... Girls.. pot... and craziness.
And one day while doing what i did just about everyday... (can still remember it as if it were yesterday) fishing on my dock... my mother frantically screaming at me to come in quick...
To the TV... where i see Mel and crew i met... holding treasure... with massive smiles.
They found her... The "mother load" Atocha.
I just sank... i felt deflated... i missed out.... had i returned and took him up on the standing offer.. i would have been there... RIGHT at the time it was found, (i would have been 17 and working for a year under my dive belt for him)
That feeling ran through me over and over... I was really bummed ... but this feeling also stoked that fire up again.
I saved... and bought my first REAL detector and scoop... and was determined to start my own company for recovering treasures lost... that was the "dream" anyway... gotta start somewhere right.
And this was my mind...

I wanted to do what Mel had done... and he was my... THE idol in those years.
I longed to feel what he must have felt... the attention... the wealth... the respect etc.
I embarked on a journey into shipwreck recovery on a level of study that burned my brain.

As the years that followed of Mels discovery i payed close attention and began to see the dark side of it all... the court battles the controversies the pain and fight to keep it... the fakes and copy scams... the people crawling outta the woodwork trying to suck the TSI blood.
Which i must admit... cooled my jets a bit on the "company idea".

When he won... i felt vindicated with them... it was like i was stressed with them only from afar.
and yet... i also felt it was only temporary and it would not be long before the next problem with finding a major treasure was going to arise.

I realized then... from here on out... nothing was going to be the same.
Then... the Acts were passed... and that squashed it altogether.
I hung up the dream and went on with life... all the while still owning detectors and detecting when i got the whim or had a reason / permission / or time.
I moved all the time... and detected various places and i forgot to mention Maine earlier.
So i have detected there as well.
Over my years a detector and gear has always been there... my time to do it has not.
I probably have less time detecting under my bely than most veterans to tell you the truth... but i never stopped... and always was trying to perfect my craft in it.

Ok enough... im burnt...

(to be continued)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS IS NOT MY PICTURE... but.... this is a close glimpse into my detector (i still own one) and my youth of what i was exposed to... This is what detectorists in my youth on TI (Treasure Island) was like watching WHAT I CALL "veteran detectorists" the older more experienced guys than me.
THIS would and could be for some of them....
A week detectings haul.

cmwithcoinsa.gif

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS... 1/4 pillow case full of silver and gold has happened in a matter of days...
So they told me.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... no comments... heh ... well whadaya know... :/

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your candid expressions....probably the most reasonable Arc I have heard as of yet....may it continue.

Reactions: ARC

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AHHH so you have been paying attention... :P

You know... well i guess it is time... to explain "my detecting"...
First... Metal detecting has been a very small part of a very hectic life... it has been in my life as more a back burner hobby than anything... and as far back as i can remember... its something i was exposed to very young VIA my parents friends... who one of which is the most famous of all time.. not at detecting... but in finding.
See... i was not a "metal detectorist"... i just had one and did it from time to time.... mostly when i was bored and had absolutely nothing else to do... which was not all that often... and that sorta still applies today.
BUT... it has been in my life since first seeing a detector back in the 70's.. along with diving and some other back burner things.
In fact...
It has been well over a year since the last time i even detected... for ... life does not permit me to it seems these days.
pictures have not been something i ever needed or should i say... felt the want / need to do... i never really found anything in the last decades that deserved photos either.
There are some times i wished cameras were around like they are today way back... and the type of cameras as well.
The bulk of my time in dirt and sand is mostly back in my youth and especially sand.

And you may find this funny... I spent most of my youth on THE actual Treasure Island. ( no joke)
Which stoked my imagination every day i heard the name... and fueled my interest in treasure and pirates and blah blah blah.
I read books feverishly all of my youth and beings my mother was a sub teacher and guidance counselor she kinda forced this upon me... my books of choice were anything having to do with THIS.
I was an only child who had severe adhd (still do) and took Ritalin for hyperactivity in my younger years... and played on a beach or dirt daily.
I would (before detector) crawl around the bases of the parking meters digging around using only my hands for change to go to the store for a drink and candy etc. (elementary school era)
I did this at beaches... Downtown waiting for my dad... anywhere i saw a meter.
My parents took note obviously and would hear stories about a friend they had who had found real lost stuff.
I wanted to know more... and that's how it began.
Enter detector.
In those days... cheapo detectors kinda sucked... they worked ... but not that well and i had no one to show me how to use one... so i just sorta was content with change tabs and nails i was 10-11 years old roughly... then it died and ending up in trash.
Sorta lost interest for a bit...until.... i met the person my parents were talking about.
Enter Mel Fisher meeting... age 12ish... (my avatar is THE ONLY picture i have of those days... wish cameras were around like they are now then) my mother took that with no notice,,, i just turned around and she took it. (my mother knew Deo (Mels wife) from some earlier point is how it began)
Wish she would have taken more that day of me with all the other things.
That day... lit a fire in me that still burns today... although i must admit... not as strong... for a long time after that day i was die hard into anything having to do with it.
Mel fisher offered me a real job looking for his next ship and the one they dreamed of... after hearing of my swimming abilities and that i was a certified PADI Junior Open Water Diver which I got after being shipped off to military school the year before.
That's was it... i was going to be a real treasure hunter when i turned 16 (TSI insurance issue) which was the deal with Mel.
Fast forward...5 years pass ... those following years were a blur of .. ah hem.... Girls.. pot... and craziness.
And one day while doing what i did just about everyday... (can still remember it as if it were yesterday) fishing on my dock... my mother frantically screaming at me to come in quick...
To the TV... where i see Mel and crew i met... holding treasure... with massive smiles.
They found her... The "mother load" Atocha.
I just sank... i felt deflated... i missed out.... had i returned and took him up on the standing offer.. i would have been there... RIGHT at the time it was found, (i would have been 17 and working for a year under my dive belt for him)
That feeling ran through me over and over... I was really bummed ... but this feeling also stoked that fire up again.
I saved... and bought my first REAL detector and scoop... and was determined to start my own company for recovering treasures lost... that was the "dream" anyway... gotta start somewhere right.
And this was my mind...

I wanted to do what Mel had done... and he was my... THE idol in those years.
I longed to feel what he must have felt... the attention... the wealth... the respect etc.
I embarked on a journey into shipwreck recovery on a level of study that burned my brain.

As the years that followed of Mels discovery i payed close attention and began to see the dark side of it all... the court battles the controversies the pain and fight to keep it... the fakes and copy scams... the people crawling outta the woodwork trying to suck the TSI blood.
Which i must admit... cooled my jets a bit on the "company idea".

When he won... i felt vindicated with them... it was like i was stressed with them only from afar.
and yet... i also felt it was only temporary and it would not be long before the next problem with finding a major treasure was going to arise.

I realized then... from here on out... nothing was going to be the same.
Then... the Acts were passed... and that squashed it altogether.
I hung up the dream and went on with life... all the while still owning detectors and detecting when i got the whim or had a reason / permission / or time.
I moved all the time... and detected various places and i forgot to mention Maine earlier.
So i have detected there as well.
Over my years a detector and gear has always been there... my time to do it has not.
I probably have less time detecting under my bely than most veterans to tell you the truth... but i never stopped... and always was trying to perfect my craft in it.

Ok enough... im burnt...

(to be continued)
Well, i pay close enough attention to know what to keep and what to discard/edit............so I am keeping this post as it is..........unedited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread