Detecting in Mexico.. Have any of yall done it?

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected both the Gulf Coast and Pacific Coast in Mexico, in resort areas. Found regular resort beach finds, no gold. Been several years since I was there.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend detecting at the resort and ask for permission..Trying outside the resorts might be a problem

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
second trip there

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coins a plenty - guys have hit there
but most use high discrim. and would have passed these up
these have steel in them or partially in them

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet there are some decent spots down there. Have any of yall ever detected in Mexico and had luck?

What are you planning on doing ? Land, or beaches? All I do is hunt in Mexico. So feel free to PM me.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also have Cozumel which is just a ferry ride away depending where you stay

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, did you cash all that in before coming back, or just fill your pockets?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, did you cash all that in before coming back, or just fill your pockets?
The gold I wore or my GF wore or put in her pocketbook
the silver (which most of other jewelry shown is) I put in a zip lock and put coins in a zip lock in my carry-on
the odds and ends went in checked suitcase
never had a prob anywhere except with .dive weights = too heavy for suit case = not allowed in carry-on
they say it can be used as a weapon...make sure anything that is sharp or can be used as weapon goes in suitcase

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you planning on doing ? Land, or beaches? All I do is hunt in Mexico. So feel free to PM me.

I just know that Mexico has a rich history in Silver.. I believe the Casa de Moneda Mint is the oldest running in the world? A lot of their coinage was made in silver back in the day and I'm just wondering if there are some old spots that haven't been hammered yet.

Tourism hits are another angle that looks promising as you can see in Caspers posts.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been told time and again - DONT LEAVE THE RESORT AREAS
had friends yrs ago that knew people that went "off the reservation" and were beat up and robbed or murdered
of in the old towns - you are nothing to them but a pay day
in the resort areas you help pay their salaries and supply them good jobs

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just know that Mexico has a rich history in Silver.. I believe the Casa de Moneda Mint is the oldest running in the world? A lot of their coinage was made in silver back in the day and I'm just wondering if there are some old spots that haven't been hammered yet.

Tourism hits are another angle that looks promising as you can see in Caspers posts.

Yes, I have a good friend who is Mexican that has been hunting his whole life. Was supposed to go with him inland when covid hit. I HIGHLY recommend you do not hunt off the beaches unless you are with a national that lives or knows the area. If you saw his colonial silver collection, one might pass out. It is fantastic!

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been told time and again - DONT LEAVE THE RESORT AREAS
had friends yrs ago that knew people that went "off the reservation" and were beat up and robbed or murdered
of in the old towns - you are nothing to them but a pay day
in the resort areas you help pay their salaries and supply them good jobs

Well...........there is always stories. For the most, traveling around in Mexico [driving, sightseeing] is not an issue. I myself have been roadblocked by Cartel folks. Once they found out we were American and not in their business they lets us pass. Scary none the less.
Violence against tourists is statically very low in Mexico. We plan on going inland in July on a multi city trip. Let you know how it goes. Hate to make the comparison, but I might be more afraid spending days in Detroit or Chciago.

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have friends in Dallas that used to make regular trips to Mexico to hunt battle sites and haciendas. One of them spoke fluent Spanish an did a a lot of research in Spanish language books and documents, They found tons of great stuff down there.

However, with the rise of the cartels, they no longer go down there.

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been to Mexico about 15 times.Never mding. I went out side the resort everytime.Never had One problem.Went in to lots of local towns.I would be suprised if theres not some type of local people that could guide you for a cheap fee.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...........there is always stories. For the most, traveling around in Mexico [driving, sightseeing] is not an issue. I myself have been roadblocked by Cartel folks. Once they found out we were American and not in their business they lets us pass. Scary none the less.
Violence against tourists is statically very low in Mexico. We plan on going inland in July on a multi city trip. Let you know how it goes. Hate to make the comparison, but I might be more afraid spending days in Detroit or Chciago.

US government Disagrees.

"Country Summary: Violent crime – such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery – is widespread and common in Mexico. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico, as travel by U.S. government employees to certain areas is prohibited or restricted. In many states, local emergency services are limited outside the state capital or major cities.

Restrictions on U.S. government travel: U.S. government employees may not travel between cities after dark, may not hail taxis on the street, and must rely on dispatched vehicles, including app-based services like Uber, and regulated taxi stands. U.S. government employees may not drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico, with the exception of daytime travel within Baja California, between Nogales and Hermosillo on Mexican Federal Highway 15D, and between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey on Highway 85D. U.S. government employees should avoid traveling alone, especially in remote areas."

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
US government Disagrees.

"Country Summary: Violent crime ? such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery ? is widespread and common in Mexico. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico, as travel by U.S. government employees to certain areas is prohibited or restricted. In many states, local emergency services are limited outside the state capital or major cities.

Restrictions on U.S. government travel: U.S. government employees may not travel between cities after dark, may not hail taxis on the street, and must rely on dispatched vehicles, including app-based services like Uber, and regulated taxi stands. U.S. government employees may not drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico, with the exception of daytime travel within Baja California, between Nogales and Hermosillo on Mexican Federal Highway 15D, and between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey on Highway 85D. U.S. government employees should avoid traveling alone, especially in remote areas."

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Yes, and the area I go to has the same level warning as Somalia [level 4] . It is beyond absurd, and I have lost lots of respect for state department travel warnings.

I am resigned to the fact our Government does not want us to travel, ANYWHERE!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread