Detecting in Tight Places

D

Deleted member 103125

Ran across a thick, gnarly tangle of thorns and bracken that looked oddly UN-NATURAL. Did someone pile this stuff to hide a TREASURE ? The thicket was too tight even to get a small coil into and too deep to hold my pinpointer into it. So, I took a tree-limb walking stick carved a bit at the bottom, padded it with closed cell foam and zip-tied an old pinpointer to it. [ see attached PIX ]. My neighbor Leo is holding the gizmo for my camera. This gizmo got deep into the thicket where I found an old soda can and a few modern coins of no consequence. Also, the local city work crews pushed last Winter's snow to the edge of a parking lot. Detecting the place where the snow was "dumped" netted me two bucks in change to boot !

Attachments

• Resizer_16480462793682.jpg
    Resizer_16480462793682.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 24
  • Resizer_16480462793681.jpg
    Resizer_16480462793681.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Resizer_16480462793680.jpg
    Resizer_16480462793680.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 25

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran across a thick, gnarly tangle of thorns and bracken that looked oddly UN-NATURAL. Did someone pile this stuff to hide a TREASURE ? The thicket was too tight even to get a small coil into and too deep to hold my pinpointer into it. So, I took a tree-limb walking stick carved a bit at the bottom, padded it with closed cell foam and zip-tied an old pinpointer to it. [ see attached PIX ]. My neighbor Leo is holding the gizmo for my camera. This gizmo got deep into the thicket where I found an old soda can and a few modern coins of no consequence. Also, the local city work crews pushed last Winter's snow to the edge of a parking lot. Detecting the place where the snow was "dumped" netted me two bucks in change to boot !
That,s using your head to solve a metal detecting problem.Thanks for passing that along.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your thinking out of the box-cool suggestion.
Nature doesn't like a void.
Lots of parks even a decade ago, started the urban renewal where they let nature just take over any where out of the mowing.
So little sucker trees/bushes start growing up thick and it pretty well takes out the ability of swinging a coil.
Field edges on thee permissions start to get the Prickly Ash/Hawthorn growth and it eliminates swinging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread