Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of good detectors on the market. You will get a lot of answers. For over 20 years I used a Tesoro, and I did very, very well with it. They are out of business. The most expensive one I had cost $329 new. Then I got a White's (now out of business), a Garrett, another Tesoro, then a couple Minelabs then the XP Deus I and now XP Deus II. I even had a couple pulse induction machines along the way. THOSE I did NOT like. Just me.

I also had a couple underwater detectors. It depends on what you want to do with it, how sophisticated a machine you want and how much you want to spend.

OP
OP
A

Alien

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2022
What is the best all around detector

There are a lot of good detectors on the market. You will get a lot of answers. For over 20 years I used a Tesoro, and I did very, very well with it. They are out of business. The most expensive one I had cost $329 new. Then I got a White's (now out of business), a Garrett, another Tesoro, then a couple Minelabs then the XP Deus I and now XP Deus II. I even had a couple pulse induction machines along the way. THOSE I did NOT like. Just me.

I also had a couple underwater detectors. It depends on what you want to do with it, how sophisticated a machine you want and how much you want to spend.
Gold ,coins,

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet.

Your choice of detector depends on a number of factors, cost being only one. There's a good range of machines in your $1,000-and-under price range.

First, how 'easy' do you want your detector to be to use? Do you simply want to turn it on and go? Or would you be comfortable with a detector that requires learning various, sometimes numerous, adjustments to get the most out of it? Keep in mind even the most advanced, customizable detector can be used right out of the box without using any of the customizations -- meaning a customizable detector can be used exactly like a basic detector (remove from box and go), but a basic detector will never be customizable to the extent of an advanced machine.

Many just don't want to have to 'learn' a top-of-the-line detector, they just don't want the hassle -- don't let anyone tell you there's anything wrong with that. Others don't mind the steep learning curve of a more advanced machine. But like most things, you get what you pay for and there are distinct advantages to being able to customize your detector according to your environment and what you're looking for.

I personally enjoy learning all the nuances of a customizable detector and don't mind putting in the time to learn it. My personal choice is the XP Deus 1. It greatly out preforms my Garrett Apex, a very simple machine, yet solidly built, easy to use, and has found its fair share of keepers.

You can find the XP Deus 1 for just under $1,000 at Big Boys Hobbies.

There are of course other options of both basic and high end machines so you'll have to watch online comparison videos of whichever detectors you end up considering.

OP
OP
A

Alien

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2022
Welcome to Tnet.

Your choice of detector depends on a number of factors, cost being only one. There's a good range of machines in your $1,000-and-under price range.

First, how 'easy' do you want your detector to be to use? Do you simply want to turn it on and go? Or would you be comfortable with a detector that requires learning various, sometimes numerous, adjustments to get the most out of it? Keep in mind even the most advanced, customizable detector can be used right out of the box without using any of the customizations -- meaning a customizable detector can be used exactly like a basic detector (remove from box and go), but a basic detector will never be customizable to the extent of an advanced machine.

Many just don't want to have to 'learn' a top-of-the-line detector, they just don't want the hassle -- don't let anyone tell you there's anything wrong with that. Others don't mind the steep learning curve of a more advanced machine. But like most things, you get what you pay for and there are distinct advantages to being able to customize your detector according to your environment and what you're looking for.

I personally enjoy learning all the nuances of a customizable detector and don't mind putting in the time to learn it. My personal choice is the XP Deus 1. It greatly out preforms my Garrett Apex, a very simple machine, yet solidly built, easy to use, and has found its fair share of keepers.

You can find the XP Deus 1 for just under $1,000 at Big Boys Hobbies.

There are of course other options of both basic and high end machines so you'll have to watch online comparison videos of whichever detectors you end up considering.
Thanks for the help

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Deus 1, recommended by Emil W, and it's a good detector. I use it at old sites that have a lot of iron because it does a good job of picking out non-iron targets from the iron.
But - and this is just my personal opinion - if you are new to this hobby, Alien, then I don't think the Deus is very easy to learn.

I also have the Minelab Equinox, and for someone who hasn't used a detector before and has $1,000 to spend I would recommend the Equinox (600 or 800 will work for you). I believe it is more all-around usable and is easier to learn on.
When I say "all-around usable" I mean that it can be used in parks, at the beach, on private properties, and even on old sites with iron.

If you're new to this you'll want a pinpointer also (at least that's how I feel; there are others that think it's not needed).
And best advice I can give: dig almost every target for the first few months and make mental notes of what they sounded like and what the numbers showed.

Good luck!
- Brian

OP
OP
A

Alien

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2022
I have the Deus 1, recommended by Emil W, and it's a good detector. I use it at old sites that have a lot of iron because it does a good job of picking out non-iron targets from the iron.
But - and this is just my personal opinion - if you are new to this hobby, Alien, then I don't think the Deus is very easy to learn.

I also have the Minelab Equinox, and for someone who hasn't used a detector before and has $1,000 to spend I would recommend the Equinox (600 or 800 will work for you). I believe it is more all-around usable and is easier to learn on.
When I say "all-around usable" I mean that it can be used in parks, at the beach, on private properties, and even on old sites with iron.

If you're new to this you'll want a pinpointer also (at least that's how I feel; there are others that think it's not needed).
And best advice I can give: dig almost every target for the first few months and make mental notes of what they sounded like and what the numbers showed.

Good luck!
- Brian
Thank you so much

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get one of the Equinoxes they have problems with plastics and their shafts. Almost everyone I personally know has one has replaced the lower shaft with good results but it will add $100 to the cost. The warranty is excellent but won't cover an after market shaft, The after market ones do a lot better than what comes with the machine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your price range, and assuming that you're going to do all sorts of detecting and not something specific like nugget hunting or diving, The Minelab Equinox or Nokta/Makro Legend would be your best bet IMO. Both are waterproof and will work great at a salt water beach.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get one of the Equinoxes they have problems with plastics and their shafts. Almost everyone I personally know has one has replaced the lower shaft with good results but it will add $100 to the cost. The warranty is excellent but won't cover an after market shaft, The after market ones do a lot better than what comes with the machine.
I must be one of the lucky ones. No problems what so ever with mine. Well I did have the foam arm pad fall off..

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread