Detector Ads??

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see them all the time! I guess you aren't watching the right networks!

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the fact that I don't see them.

Glorified advertising pushing products doesn't show the reality of the hobby.

I don't know about you, but most of the damage to the hobby I have seen has been by people who started on a whim because the "commercial told them they would find gold bars and silver coins"
I saw a White's commercial that said just that. "The machine that tells you what's in the ground"

Seriously?
lol.

Who would YOU rather have in your local park or playground?
The person who got excited when he saw the shinies and piles of "riches" on the commercial, or the guy who took the time to ask somebody in person or do research first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got over 300 channels and never seen an ad yet Jason, and Critical, I'd much rather have the person who ask questions and researches but I was just wondering why I've never seen any.. Like everything else from sliced bread to pantyhose

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got over 300 channels and never seen an ad yet Jason, and Critical, I'd much rather have the person who ask questions and researches but I was just wondering why I've never seen any.. Like everything else from sliced bread to pantyhose

Probably just what you are watching.
I have seen ads for Minelab and White's.

They were on during "Meteor Men" (that I saw)

ANd PROBABLY during that "Boom baby" show and that other one with the guys who make up cute little names, but I would have thrown up if I watched that crap.

OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mainly watch the History, Science, and Discovery channels and they are about 3 or 4 of each of those.. Guess I just wasn't watching at the right moment...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They advertise heavily on the Outdoor channel, but I've seen them on Disc, Hist, and others. Especially any show that has detectors in it.... Gold fever, gold rush, meteorite men, "boom baby", and "boom baby light".

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw my first detector commercial last week...it was a Whites beach machine ad.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I've seen maybe five televised ads. Three were from White's and two were for Minelab. The time span is probably over three years. So yes they are out in television land, but they are not very common.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
lookindown said:
10,000 in coin in only 50 short years...whats on the screen is in the ground...the secret is out...LMAO.

Yep so people go out and get one. Then this fancy thinking machine tells you there is a half dollar four inches down and you end up digging a soda can. Then they join a forum and ask what is wrong with their new toy. A guy like me will tell them they call me a name or two and the mods yell at me to leave them alone. A year later their tector is In a closet with a half inch of dust on it.

Last edited:

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also see Whites and Minelab, and I'm not certain, but I thnk I remember seeing a Garrett TV ad one time. I guess they don;t have the kind of advertising budget that it takes to put commercials on television. If they did, we'd probably have to pay a lot more for these pretty pricey machines we buy.

OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad that's settled... Guess I just need to watch more TV.....

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I cant tell ya whats in the ground. But I can tell ya if I want to dig it or not. Just spend more time with the detector you got.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen the White's land detector commerical where they say it tells them what is in the ground before they dig it. I hate the dig it up part. We get far to many newbies using shovels and Lasche's in the parks and leaving holes with a recovered pull tab on top of the dirt pile. :BangHead: In our parks these hunters first get a lecture on how to retrieve a coin and if they bad mouth me they get a $250 ticket for destroying park property. We hardly see them again. I was probably like this too when I started.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Criticle Recovery, I like turtles too. I believe Sandmans thread was about overkill in the park. I honestly use a pocket knife in the parks, not need for a large plug. The parks here have been returfed and a vapor shield a few inches down. While i pick stuff up well beyond that, most finds are 3" or less. Once in a while Ill go deep 10", but knowing how to dig a plug so it doesnt kill the grass or get kicked back out of the hole is important. If sandman is the one in charge of enforcement, I can tell you one encounter like that and I would make sure I made no more donations to the state.

I used to enjoy the state parks here. But the cost, and the limitations, have caused my wife and I to boycott the annual pass and go find another place to have fun. State parks here regulated themselves out of business. Just too expensive to have a bbq as that pretty much is all you can do. But a half mile away is some of the best fishing and camping you will ever do. If you have a RV and need a place to drain your tanks, well state parks are great.

I run a VDI and am happy. I go out of my way when in the city parks to be the example, not a problem. State parks dont allow detecting, so shame on them. Havent been in one in over 2 years. No matter what you settle for, you will always want more in a detector. Every year, I am not disapointed, someone makes it better. Im still a noob with my fisher. But I have been impressed with the hype. Only thing wrong with the ads was my expectations. They only let you think what you wanna think. Get ya big bad boy toy and dig some keepers.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really see the harm from TV ads. Most tector swingers of my age got interested by looking at ads and articles in the old treasure mags. Those pics were a lot worse than any TV ad today!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread