Detector/Metal Scoop on Airplane Question

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I'm traveling to Aruba soon, and I wanted to try water detecting. First, I was wondering if any of you may know if it's okay to detect? I've seen many people doing it down there, but I still want to make sure it's not against the law (I would be in front of my resort in the high-rise hotel area, where I've seen many people detecting at over the years).

My last question is:
how do I pack my metal detector?
Carry-on or check bag?
What is the best way for the airliner to allow the bag to go through without questioning it or making me take it out and set it up/turn it on to show what it is?

I'm just trying to avoid the annoyance of having to go through that at the airport. I just want it to simply be packed and go through according to the airlines rules. I will also check up with the actual airline themselves, but I figured there's no better place to ask than all of you.

Thanks for your help.

BrettCo

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No problems in Aruba, but some hotels frown on non-residents detecting the sand in front of their hotels. They just do not want you bothering their guest...be polite and stay away from the swimmers, especially with your scoop in hand. As for airlines...they know what detectors are, you can carry them on in you hand bag. Scoops with long handles do not go in carry on bag...put it in your checked baggage. I pack the heavy parts in my carry-on, you do not want to over weight...not all airlines are the same on checked baggage weight, check on-line and Lithium-ion batteries are a no-no. Get a scoop with a "travel" handle, over size luggage such as a hard shell golf bag case will cost you big bucks - both ways, again depending on airline.

If the surf is too rough for you at one beach...go to another, some are almost always without high surf. Food and water are great to consume. Take a waterproof case to carry your keys, ID and some money if you wish to buy a drink along the way. Make sure it is tethered to you, don't let it float away.
Items you might consider:
Hard sole dive boots, elastic elbow braces to put over the top of the booties to keep the sand out, SPF rated long sleeve shirt, hat with neck flap, gloves, sunscreen, sunglasses spare battery and don't forget your charger and treasure bag.
May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop...let us know when you return home.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I can tell you how it REALLY IS out there. Or at least MY experience.
If you haven't been there before you'll be in for a surprise.

If you're not staying at a fancy hotel you're in for a surprise.

I planned on being there for 5 days and went home after 2
It was 97 degrees with 95% humidity and very windy
The water if very buoyant so if you plan on getting in past your waste ( and you'll want to) get some weights.
I would suspect that they don't clean there beaches very well so you will get TONS of pull tabs
Night time hunting is sketchy at best. I was actually scared...
There are no street signs. If you don't know where you're going, good luck getting there.
STAY AWAY FROM THE CENTER OF THE ISLAND. They aren't to friendly and it is VERY poverty stricken
Hunt with a buddy or 2 if possible. Not to sure what would happen if you got mugged/messed with or worse...
DID I SAY IT"S HOT?

Don't expect some tropical paradise. It's a desert island with nice water...

As for luggage... I work for Delta so I can tell you whats up. If you can get your detector to fit in a CARRY ON do it. Don't bring lithium batteries unless they are checked and keep your regular batteries out of the detector. Also bring your PASSPORT and you will HAVE to have a hotel lined up BEFORE you arrive.. As for your scoop if you bring a REAL scoop, just bring the actual scoop and get a handle there.
In the two days I was there, the 1st day was just figuring out where the heck to go and scouting around. Then I spent about 12 hrs of actual hunting. I find MUCH more on my home beaches to say the least.
I won't say which beaches are best because it might piss some people who are in the know off. I like to hunt the hotel chairs at night and hit the water in the day...

Hope this helps and above all BE CAREFUL

A good spot is to park your rental car to the right ( if your facing the water) of the Trump hotel. Then walk out into the water with your snorkel kit and detector and get out as far as you can. There are lots of paddle borders and jet skiers that fall overboard and you'll have good odds out that way... I went in October if I recall. Don't go in the summer or during storm season.

And as mentioned try to get all of your most valuables into a carry on and only check your clothes and stuff that can afford to lose/have stolen or not catch your flight.
Oh and be at check in on your way home about 3 hrs early. You'll have to go through BOTH American AND their customs. They are on Island time and are in NO way in a rush to expedite your experience.
No one trips on you for carrying a detector. I wasn't even double scanned or questioned. Bring your owners manual if you can...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problems in Aruba, but some hotels frown on non-residents detecting the sand in front of their hotels. They just do not want you bothering their guest...be polite and stay away from the swimmers, especially with your scoop in hand. As for airlines...they know what detectors are, you can carry them on in you hand bag. Scoops with long handles do not go in carry on bag...put it in your checked baggage. I pack the heavy parts in my carry-on, you do not want to over weight...not all airlines are the same on checked baggage weight, check on-line and Lithium-ion batteries are a no-no. Get a scoop with a "travel" handle, over size luggage such as a hard shell golf bag case will cost you big bucks - both ways, again depending on airline.

If the surf is too rough for you at one beach...go to another, some are almost always without high surf. Food and water are great to consume. Take a waterproof case to carry your keys, ID and some money if you wish to buy a drink along the way. Make sure it is tethered to you, don't let it float away.
Items you might consider:
Hard sole dive boots, elastic elbow braces to put over the top of the booties to keep the sand out, SPF rated long sleeve shirt, hat with neck flap, gloves, sunscreen, sunglasses spare battery and don't forget your charger and treasure bag.
May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop...let us know when you return home.

Such great advice. I appreciate it very much. I am not 100 percent on even bringing it. I'm looking to just detect in front of my hotel just for fun, but may even not bring it. It all depends. Again, thank you for all of your tips. I will be certainly using them if I decide to bring it with me.

BrettCo

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The water if very buoyant so if you plan on getting in past your waste ( and you'll want to) get some weights.
I would suspect that they don't clean there beaches very well so you will get TONS of pull tabs
There are no street signs. If you don't know where you're going, good luck getting there.
STAY AWAY FROM THE CENTER OF THE ISLAND. They aren't to friendly and it is VERY poverty stricken
Hunt with a buddy or 2 if possible. Not to sure what would happen if you got mugged/messed with or worse...
DID I SAY IT"S HOT?

As for luggage... I work for Delta so I can tell you whats up. If you can get your detector to fit in a CARRY ON do it. Don't bring lithium batteries unless they are checked and keep your regular batteries out of the detector. Also bring your PASSPORT and you will HAVE to have a hotel lined up BEFORE you arrive.. As for your scoop if you bring a REAL scoop, just bring the actual scoop and get a handle there.
In the two days I was there, the 1st day was just figuring out where the heck to go and scouting around. Then I spent about 12 hrs of actual hunting. I find MUCH more on my home beaches to say the least.
I won't say which beaches are best because it might piss some people who are in the know off. I like to hunt the hotel chairs at night and hit the water in the day...

A good spot is to park your rental car to the right ( if your facing the water) of the Trump hotel. Then walk out into the water with your snorkel kit and detector and get out as far as you can. There are lots of paddle borders and jet skiers that fall overboard and you'll have good odds out that way... I went in October if I recall. Don't go in the summer or during storm season.

And as mentioned try to get all of your most valuables into a carry on and only check your clothes and stuff that can afford to lose/have stolen or not catch your flight.
Oh and be at check in on your way home about 3 hrs early. You'll have to go through BOTH American AND their customs. They are on Island time and are in NO way in a rush to expedite your experience.
No one trips on you for carrying a detector. I wasn't even double scanned or questioned. Bring your owners manual if you can...

Thank you very much for your tips and especially your concern. I go to Aruba almost every year (timeshare). It's a beautiful island, but I do know what you mean about leaving the "strip". We hardly ever do. When I detect, it's mostly because I'm just sitting somewhere that I am saying to myself "wish I had my detector". I am not much of an explorer. I would never test the boundaries like you did lol. I'm glad your back safe. Again thanks for your help and concern. I will keep in touch if I do this!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first time I went to the Caribbean I didn't bring my detector and I could of slapped myself. The 2nd time, it was windy for 5 days straight and the waves so rough I didn't get a chance to detect. :censored: If I remember correctly; I broke down my Excal and put it all in my suitcase between clothing. Nice and soft for my baby :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first time I went to the Caribbean I didn't bring my detector and I could of slapped myself. The 2nd time, it was windy for 5 days straight and the waves so rough I didn't get a chance to detect. :censored: If I remember correctly; I broke down my Excal and put it all in my suitcase between clothing. Nice and soft for my baby :thumbsup:

It could definitely get windy on that island! Thanks for the tip! I'll most certainly be bringing it! Just bought the Tesoro sand shark after a good year of reviewing everything. Very excited.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
As for the scoop, I have a RTG (Reailly's) scoop that comes apart in the ceneter and fits in my suitcase nicely. It's aluminum and is light yet sturdy.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
I hunted there a few years back, no problems. In front of the big hotels the bottom dropped off quickly, hookah would have been nice but water gets choppy . Baby beach was a bust.
Packed the Xcal and travel scoop in carry on. A remarkable number of people approached me about lost items. Stayed in the water most of the time. Rent a junk car to get around. Bring bug spray. Good luck.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
The problem I had when I went was when I was chest/chin deep and found a target, I couldn't dig my scoop into the soil. The water is so buoyant that you just launch upward. 20 lb scuba belt would be ideal but that certainly would screw with checked luggage weight. Then again you could aways man-up and put the 20 lb belt in your carry on... Actually, I never thought about that.... hmmmmmm...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU PUT WEIGHTS IN CARRY ON - 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 - THEY GONNA TAKE IT FROM YOU -
IVE FOUND MANY DIVE WEIGHTS AND HAVE HAD THEM TAKEN AT SECURITY - THEY SAY THEY CAN BE USED AS A WEAPON

The problem I had when I went was when I was chest/chin deep and found a target, I couldn't dig my scoop into the soil. The water is so buoyant that you just launch upward. 20 lb scuba belt would be ideal but that certainly would screw with checked luggage weight. Then again you could aways man-up and put the 20 lb belt in your carry on... Actually, I never thought about that.... hmmmmmm...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEEN TO ARUBA 3 TIMES
VERY POPULAR CRUISING TH'er DESTINATION - HAVE SHOWED UP AND HAD VACATIONERS
TELL ME = THERE WERE 5 GUYS HERE OFF A CRUISE SHIP LAST WEEK
ALSO 2 NEW ENGLAND TH'ers SPEND 6 MONTHS UP HERE AND 6 DOWN THERE AND MAKE THE ROUNDS
NEVER BEEN BOTHERED BY LOCALS - BUT I SPEND ALL MY TIME IN THE WATER
I USUALLY CARRY A DIVE KNIFE TOO
I TAKE RTG TRAVEL SCOOP WITH ME

MY CARRY ON = CARRY 2 CZ21s MINUS THEIR UPPER RODS - IF MY SUITCASE WITH UPPERRODS GET LOST
I HAVE BELT MOUNT AND CAN BUY SOMETHING TO ATTATCH TO THE LOWER RODS - I BRING DUCK TAPE - GORILLA GLUE
ZIP TIES AND ALL KINDS OF FASTENERS TO FIX JUST ABOUT ANYTHING - ON ALL MY TRIPS

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEEPERS FROM MY FIRST TRIP THERE

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DID I SAY IT"S HOT?

When would be the off cooler season to go here? I hate hot because I work very strenuously in 90 degree 90% humidity 6 months out of the year here in southern Georgia. I am thinking I may try sometime between October and March but trying to avoid any major tourist weeks.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
sweet finds Casper. My 1st trip didn't go well and it was a good lesson for next time. I took the Excal and CTX .The CTX shaft is to big for a carry on... I bought a travel RTG scoop just for the occasion but didn't like it much at all. Next time I'll be taking the Excal only and a bunch of non lithium batteries. Scoop will be my Stealth with no handle. I'll just buy a wood one at a hardware store. Carry on is certainly best. I over packed last time.. Took pretty much two of everything in case of failures. Is there a spot on the island to get weights?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet finds Casper. My 1st trip didn't go well and it was a good lesson for next time. I took the Excal and CTX .The CTX shaft is to big for a carry on... I bought a travel RTG scoop just for the occasion but didn't like it much at all. Next time I'll be taking the Excal only and a bunch of non lithium batteries. Scoop will be my Stealth with no handle. I'll just buy a wood one at a hardware store. Carry on is certainly best. I over packed last time.. Took pretty much two of everything in case of failures. Is there a spot on the island to get weights?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#...4360,640&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2&rlfi=hd:;si:

CAN PROB CALL AHEAD AND ASK IF THEY RENT THEM AND HOW MUCH
I ONLY USE THEM WHEN DIVING WITH HOOKAH OR SNUBA SET UPS
I DO WHAT I CALL THE "CASPER BOUNCE" WHEN IN WATER UP TO MY NECK
I WILL INHALE AND PUSH OFF MY SCOOP AND THEN EXHALE THRU MY SNORKLE ON THE WAY BACK DOWN AND PUSH ON MY SCOOP
IF SAND IS SOFT - I ONLY HAVE TO DO ONCE OR TWICE - IF HARD BOTTOM - THEN IT WILL TAKE 4-5
WORKS FOR ME - OTHERS HAVE TRIED AND FAILED AT IT AND GIVE UP
ONE BEACH AND EXTREME LOW I WAS GETTING GOLD AND SILVER AT MY LIMITS AND I WAS BOUNCING UP AND DOWN
ALOT OUT THERE - GOT LIKE 5 GOLD THERE AND A BUNCH OF SILVER QUARTERS AND LIKE 3 HALFS - THIS SPOT
UNLESS FRESH DROPS - YOULL GET NOTHING FROM CHEST ON IN - BECAUSE ITS SO HARD TO HIT HERE OUT DEEPER
I DID GOOD - STILL NEED TO GO THERE WITH MY DIVE UNITS OUT FARTHER

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be okay to pack my metal detector like this: box/coil/earphones and the sharp sand scoop in my "checked" luggage, and the rest (all rods) in my carry on?

I'm concerned if tsa wants to know what it is, but it's being sent through "checked" luggage and I won't be there for it. Would it be better to have in my carry on backpack so if its questioned, I am there to answer it and also know everything made it back in my bag, or my bag in general continues on to the correct plane?

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would it be okay to pack my metal detector like this: box/coil/earphones and the sharp sand scoop in my "checked" luggage, and the rest (all rods) in my carry on?

I'm concerned if tsa wants to know what it is, but it's being sent through "checked" luggage and I won't be there for it. Would it be better to have in my carry on backpack so if its questioned, I am there to answer it and also know everything made it back in my bag, or my bag in general continues on to the correct plane?

YMMV - but what I have done is box, coil, headphones in my carry on and scoop and rods in checked luggage. I suggest having batteries available incase they want to see that it works. I am sure most TSA agents have seen a metal detector. ;-)

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice. I will do it that way if I end up bringing it. My guess is the beach in front of my hotel is going to be cleaned up from everyone else doing it anyways, and I don't have any intentions on bringing it anywhere else.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACTUALLY - YOU'D BE SURPRISED ON HOW MANY HAVENT - NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT (AS SEINFELD WOULD SAY) BUT I HAD A VERY FLAMBOUYNAT FELLOW THAT HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY WERE AND WAS UPSET I EVEN BROUGHT THEM AND ALMOST MADE ME MISS MY FLIGHT - HE UNPACKED THEM COMPLETELY AND THEM TRIED CRAMMING THEM BACK AND WOULD NOT LET ME DO IT ALLL THE WHILE THEY KEPT PAGING MY NAME
AND IVE HAD MORE THAN A FEW WOMEN TSA AGENTS THAT DID NOT KNOW EITHER - ONE THOUGHT MY UPPER ROD WITH PISTOL GRIP WAS SOME SORT OF GUN AND MADE A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT. SOOO
I WILL USUALLY WEAR SOME SORT OF TEE SHIRT WITH DETECTING RELATED MATERIAL ON IT - I HAVE A FEW WITH ME ON THEM HOLDING MY MACHINE WITH FINDS AROUND ME - THAT USUALLY WORKS WHEN ITS GOING THROUGH SCANNER AND THEY LOOK UP AND I POINT AT IT.

YMMV - but what I have done is box, coil, headphones in my carry on and scoop and rods in checked luggage. I suggest having batteries available incase they want to see that it works. I am sure most TSA agents have seen a metal detector. ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread