Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
They all detect gold. Problem is you cant tell if it is gold or aluminum or something else until you dig it up and it doesn't matter what machine. That IS correct. There is NO WAY to discriminate out trash and still find the gold. You have to dig the trash.
If there was a machine that could tell you the item is in fact gold before you dig, everyone would be walking around with a metal detector.

Remember that there is soooooooo much trash to be found. Trash is dropped or "lost" much much much much much much much more often than even a one cent coin is dropped or lost, let a lone a valuable gold coin or jewelry item.

Maybe give us a better idea of where you want to use a detector and we can direct you to a decent machine for the task at a decent cost.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends how much buck you have to bang with. And, like xr7ator said: "Maybe give us a better idea of where you want to use a detector and we can direct you to a decent machine for the task at a decent cost."

A $600 machine won't necessarily find twice as much as a $300 machine, but by choosing a detector that best accommodates your anticipated targets and search conditions you increase your odds. Salt water beaches? Parks & picnic areas? Gold nuggets? Plowed fields?

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I'm with Charlie... it might help if you told us what kind of detecting you are planning on doing and a price range of what you'd like to spend. I've never used a "high end" detector but I'm a field hunter/doorknocker and I use a Nokta Makro Simplex. It does not disappoint... I've used several other detectors in the same price range and it is FAR better than the others for a number of reasons.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of gold, gold rings or gold nuggets?

OP
OP
A

AreasGrey

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the responses!
I hadn't realised I needed to know an exact area to use the metal detector, I had just thought I would put it in the boot of my car and take off for the day somewhere new and exciting for a weekend or something.
Clearly there is a lot more to know before I even think of buying a detector...
But yes Noah D, gold coins would be nice ha ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread