Deus 2 iron falsing??

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some hours on the Deus 2 with 9" coil now and several good finds already but i have one concern. IT tends to false on nails, especially old rusty square nails alot. Although i have learned the tricks to "not" digging them about 70% of the time now, it just really takes alot of time to circle those targets and look and listen for clues of iron falsing. I generally use the Deus 2 in Fast, Deep HC or a custom coin program built off of Park....just depends on my hunting location. Just wondering if there is a certain adjustment to be made to make the Deus like rusty iron less...? These iron targets usually sound good initially with numbers reading from 78 to as high as 95. They just usually give themselves away as iron if you circle them and swipe from several directions the numbers will drop to single digits and give the iron grunt.... Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like it. My problem is when iron is all around. I am always hearing deep iron but then it locks onto deep iron with a mid 90's falsing. That same false number can hit 2 directions.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XY screen definitely works to help ID coins, rings or other "round" targets....however when hunting for relics where the target may be odd shaped XY screen is a little less useful. There is just a learning curve with this detector and my confidence with it grows every time i use it.....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
XY screen definitely works to help ID coins, rings or other "round" targets....however when hunting for relics where the target may be odd shaped XY screen is a little less useful. There is just a learning curve with this detector and my confidence with it grows every time i use it.....
Your comment regarding the XY screen, and it's a little less useful on odd shaped targets.

Would the Deus ll be any different than the Deus l when it comes to the XY screen ID program?

It's the only screen that I have basically used since buying the Deus. It will in fact ID most if not all non-ferrous shaped items. It might get a bit off if the iron is in such close proximity that it influences the signal ID.

I truly believe that most learning curves will iron themselves out over time.
Some can grasp (or believe) the detector faster than others, then some are satisfied with the preset turn on and go features that the manufacturer has loaded onto the machine.
Personally I'm still learning the Deus, yes I have 500-700 hours on the machine maybe more :dontknow:, but there are still things I learn every time I go out and detect. I feel I know a machine after that # reaches 1000 hrs.
This might seem like an unrealistic amount of hours to know the machine, but it's at that range when I can comfortably dig or pass on a target.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your comment regarding the XY screen, and it's a little less useful on odd shaped targets.

Would the Deus ll be any different than the Deus l when it comes to the XY screen ID program?

It's the only screen that I have basically used since buying the Deus. It will in fact ID most if not all non-ferrous shaped items. It might get a bit off if the iron is in such close proximity that it influences the signal ID.

I truly believe that most learning curves will iron themselves out over time.
Some can grasp (or believe) the detector faster than others, then some are satisfied with the preset turn on and go features that the manufacturer has loaded onto the machine.
Personally I'm still learning the Deus, yes I have 500-700 hours on the machine maybe more :dontknow:, but there are still things I learn every time I go out and detect. I feel I know a machine after that # reaches 1000 hrs.
This might seem like an unrealistic amount of hours to know the machine, but it's at that range when I can comfortably dig or pass on a target.
AS far as a Deus 1 comparison, i can not give one since i never owned the deus 1. I tried one out a few times but never really liked the poor target ID at any depth or the fact of no multi frequency mode. Deus 2 is a huge improvement on target ID, even at great depths. I played with the XY screen a few times and found that non ferrous items that ring up high and sound good, but are odd shaped like aluminum siding clippings would often not look good on the XY screen. So a good, not round target like a badge or something similar i am guessing would do the same.... I am at a "comfortable" point now hunting with the Deus 2 //// but in no way consider the machine learned, but more like learning.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AS far as a Deus 1 comparison, i can not give one since i never owned the deus 1. I tried one out a few times but never really liked the poor target ID at any depth or the fact of no multi frequency mode. Deus 2 is a huge improvement on target ID, even at great depths. I played with the XY screen a few times and found that non ferrous items that ring up high and sound good, but are odd shaped like aluminum siding clippings would often not look good on the XY screen. So a good, not round target like a badge or something similar i am guessing would do the same.... I am at a "comfortable" point now hunting with the Deus 2 //// but in no way consider the machine learned, but more like learning.
Foil, or other can slaw would give a different type of line indication not consistent.
That works for me, as I might still dig it, but I already know it's crap.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the learning curve...You can hear the big iron and false ...Do I get fooled sometimes? Of course but just like the Deus 1 the info is in the tones...Audio audio audio = takes time... Raise your silencer to 2...or bottle cap reject to 4....Its a trade off you will lose some unmasking...Or bite the bullet dig a few hundred iron pieces and it will click ...

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, a big part of it is on me. I hate leaving a target at an old site that could be a good coin with iron near it. I know form past machines that a target with nails(especially square nails) near it can sound a little "off"....so i tend to dig targets that i know are probably iron falsing but repeat similar in two directions. But i will say that i know with nearly 100 percent certainty when i am over a coin with the Deus 2 that it is not a nail---UNLESS the coin is on edge. My son recently dug a franklin half that was on edge with a penny against it and 3 or 4 nails nearly against it also...they were all wedged in the roots of an old stump and this signal was not good with his Legend or my Deus 2. Certainly not what you would expect a 6" silver half to sound like. Hunted an 1866 house two days ago and i did dig a few big square nails around 4" long that sounded pretty good and pin pointed at the tips. But once again....i could tell that most of them were iffy. Bigger iron at depth i am not so certain about but most of the time even at depth i know the target is bigger than a coin or button. Thanks guys!

SGTBilko

Jan 5, 2011
OHIO
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT / Whites V3I /Garrett 250 & 2500, AT Pro /Deus / Minelab CTX-3030, Deus XP (Coils Used- HF Elliptical, HF Round, X35)
I own historic property where an old British fort was, and had lots of Indian trading going on there. I personally dig everything with my Deus 1 and recently learning the Deus 2 with over two weeks of digging with it. (still definitely learning this one) I notice with the fast or relic factory program that old square nails and mostly barrel straps and iron from door hinges etc. will come up at around 90-98's. I'll dig everything so I wont miss trade beads, musket flint pottery or old bottle glass in those old old holes, which I wouldn't have found if I hadn't dug those iron signals. I hate digging iron, and have dug so many square nails I could build a house with them all I've found, but I also hate missing those targets that a metal detector wont pickup or the good targets being overpowered by the iron signals. I found a rare Indian trade silver medal given to Chiefs only 9 known to exist in 2009, it was covered by iron around it and almost passed it over because I was looking for good surface targets. Too many times I found rare items covered by those iron signals. I dug an 1812 button at a signal around 08, so from now on because the property is so old and never detected, I dig everything and hunt very slow, and found many items I went over several times. So point being, if the property or area that you're hunting is really old, and a great spot, take your time and dig that signal, because you'll never know what you might miss, and something rare that's waiting to see light again after 200 years. Just my two cents worth!
medallions-2.jpg
various military badges_tinnies.jpg
Brittania coin.jpg
indian trade items.jpg
various dug items_1.jpg

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SGT Bilko you had a HECK of a DAY !!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did exceptionally well. Dig that iron. Some of the axes from that time frame are worth serious bucks, let alone the historic value. After several of us dug a ravine at the one farm we go to, and got a LOT of big iron out of there, and some tools, out pops a gold coin. You sometimes MUST get the iron out of the way. We had been hunting on and off on this spot since 2016, and the coin pops out in 2022. I know I'd walked over it myself a dozen times or more.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I own historic property where an old British fort was, and had lots of Indian trading going on there. I personally dig everything with my Deus 1 and recently learning the Deus 2 with over two weeks of digging with it. (still definitely learning this one) I notice with the fast or relic factory program that old square nails and mostly barrel straps and iron from door hinges etc. will come up at around 90-98's. I'll dig everything so I wont miss trade beads, musket flint pottery or old bottle glass in those old old holes, which I wouldn't have found if I hadn't dug those iron signals. I hate digging iron, and have dug so many square nails I could build a house with them all I've found, but I also hate missing those targets that a metal detector wont pickup or the good targets being overpowered by the iron signals. I found a rare Indian trade silver medal given to Chiefs only 9 known to exist in 2009, it was covered by iron around it and almost passed it over because I was looking for good surface targets. Too many times I found rare items covered by those iron signals. I dug an 1812 button at a signal around 08, so from now on because the property is so old and never detected, I dig everything and hunt very slow, and found many items I went over several times. So point being, if the property or area that you're hunting is really old, and a great spot, take your time and dig that signal, because you'll never know what you might miss, and something rare that's waiting to see light again after 200 years. Just my two cents worth! View attachment 2037739 View attachment 2037740 View attachment 2037741 View attachment 2037742 View attachment 2037743
That 3rd photo-now that's eye candy! Congrats
I'd certainly be digging every piece of iron if there was a remote chance that there was a piece of trade silver.
(Bucket List Item)
Then again maybe from the 100's of thousands of non-dug iron signals there was a few hiding. (hurts thinking about that one)

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never seen any screen on any detector be better than the audio. And this is definitely true on the XP and XP II.

Really listen to the audio on for five swings in each direction and then dig the target. Anything past that you're just wasting time for the next one.

SGTBilko

Jan 5, 2011
OHIO
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT / Whites V3I /Garrett 250 & 2500, AT Pro /Deus / Minelab CTX-3030, Deus XP (Coils Used- HF Elliptical, HF Round, X35)
You did exceptionally well. Dig that iron. Some of the axes from that time frame are worth serious bucks, let alone the historic value. After several of us dug a ravine at the one farm we go to, and got a LOT of big iron out of there, and some tools, out pops a gold coin. You sometimes MUST get the iron out of the way. We had been hunting on and off on this spot since 2016, and the coin pops out in 2022. I know I'd walked over it myself a dozen times or more.
Hey Smokey, believe it or not, those finds were from about 2 hours of digging. I also found an Indian trade belt axe before I left the spot a few weeks ago. You're absolutely correct! Some of those items (iron) are worth quite a bit in both historical and monetary value, and the fact out popped a gold coin for you is amazing. I've still yet to find one of those, but never know what lies beneath. I completely agree, you have to get all that iron out of the way first, and keep swinging away! Good luck to you in your searches.

SGTBilko

Jan 5, 2011
OHIO
Detector(s) used
That 3rd photo-now that's eye candy! Congrats
I'd certainly be digging every piece of iron if there was a remote chance that there was a piece of trade silver.
(Bucket List Item)
Then again maybe from the 100's of thousands of non-dug iron signals there was a few hiding. (hurts thinking about that one)
Yes, that trade silver is awesome to find. Not a lot out there and most are really flimsy I have found. I had found in one hole 13 pieces of ear bobs and nose pieces. I have several silver brooches too. I believe they were in a pouch at one time and after the pouch rotted away left the trade silver. I have found trade crosses, trade rings and even a trade peace medal (rare) I literally have totes of cannon balls, iron, Indian scalp knives, flintlock pieces and side plates and of course, LOTS of nails and iron straps from barrels haha. I'd be happy to post some more of my finds if anyone is interested in seeing them.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, that trade silver is awesome to find. Not a lot out there and most are really flimsy I have found. I had found in one hole 13 pieces of ear bobs and nose pieces. I have several silver brooches too. I believe they were in a pouch at one time and after the pouch rotted away left the trade silver. I have found trade crosses, trade rings and even a trade peace medal (rare) I literally have totes of cannon balls, iron, Indian scalp knives, flintlock pieces and side plates and of course, LOTS of nails and iron straps from barrels haha. I'd be happy to post some more of my finds if anyone is interested in seeing them.
You certainly have my interest in seeing your collection of trade era finds. I'm starting to salivate at the thought of getting to see them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread