DEUS custom made programs

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello fellow Deus lovers! In my area, south Louisiana, I hunt sugarcane fields. Most times the areas or old plantation home sites/trash pits. Obviously I encounter quite the nail patches. When in this iron infested area I have had great sucess with these settings.
3- Deus Fast
Frequency- 11737 (12khz)
Disc- 0
Full Tones
Sens- 90
TX Power- 3
Iron Vol- 0
Reactivity- 3
Audio Res- 4 (or 5)
Notch- 00-00

This program works really, really well in iron! I hear a solid, repeatable beep on a shotgun shell primer at 4 to 6 inches!

HH!!! Shanegalang- The Canefield Bandits!!

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just did a test on the 9-10" quarter buried in my yard since last year. At reactivity 2 silencer -1 and audio response at whatever the factory setting is, I was able to get a good dig me signal with tx 2 sensitivity 80. If I change nothing but the reactivity to 3 then the quarter dissappears and only comes back at sensitivity 90 and still not as good a signal as reactivity 2 sensitivity 80. So the ability to separate comes at a significant cost to depth. Reactivity 2 go ahead and lower the sensitivity. Reactivity 3 dont plan on pulling anything deep. I don't think I have made any good finds beyond 5-6" with reactivity 3

It will be interesting to see how that test works when 4.0 comes out. It is my understanding there will be a 2.5 reactivity setting we can choose from [emoji3]

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is "Gary's Ultimate" Program I've been using.

Gary's TWO tips for this program are;
★ 1. "Listen for the small lift in the faint signals between the low tones, and the good signals will take care of themselves'.
★ 2. "Don't use discrimination. If in doubt your spade is the best discriminator".

Ultimate program settings are:
Based on Deus fast preset program.
Discrimination = 0
Sensitivity = 95 but knock it right down if you get lots of little audio spikes especially on wet soil.
Frequency = 17Khz on dry or 12Khz on wet
Iron volume = 3
Reactivity = 3
Audio response = 4

To use on 3 tones, set
Tone #1 202HZ
Tone #2 202HZ with 0 threshold
Tone # 3 710Hz with 10 Threshold

OR

to get better ground readings in order to 'pick out' high conductor whispers in a busy ground - select Full Tones

Full tones allows searching between iron and really pick out the good signals. Full tone is a multi-tone audio and assigns a tone for every meter number, so the sound of iron is low, and high conductors have a high tone.
The tones are very smooth and almost blend together, it takes a little time to "zone in" using full tones , but it's well worth the extra time and patience to learn.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

★ 1. "Listen for the small lift in the faint signals between the low tones, and the good signals will take care of themselves'.
★ 2. "Don't use discrimination. If in doubt your spade is the best discriminator".

Discrimination = 0
Sensitivity = 95 but knock it right down if you get lots of little audio spikes especially on wet soil.
Iron volume = 3
Reactivity = 3
Audio response = 4

To use on 3 tones, set
Tone #1 202HZ

OR

to get better ground readings in order to 'pick out' high conductor whispers in a busy ground - select Full Tones

Full tones allows searching between iron and really pick out the good signals. Full tone is a multi-tone audio and assigns a tone for every meter number, so the sound of iron is low, and high conductors have a high tone.
The tones are very smooth and almost blend together, it takes a little time to "zone in" using full tones , but it's well worth the extra time and patience to learn.

Ive been using full tones and 0 disc since day 1. It makes it a better machine in my opinion

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1. I have frequently stated in my posts that there are very few absolutes regarding this hobby, therefore, I don't think I would ever be so presumptuous as to call another T-NET member "wrong" if I disagreed with their position. I think a key attribute of the T-NET community is that members generally interact with each other with the utmost respect, setting aside some good-natured ribbing from time to time. But I think we are all here to learn from each other, keep an open mind, and realize that we may come at these technical discussions from different angles and perspectives. That enables healthy debate and discussion, which, I think is the point. Slamming the door shut with "you are wrong" type statements I think tends to stifle that healthy debate. Fortunately, perhaps to my detriment, I am not a shrinking violet when told I am "wrong" so I will keep the debate alive, healthy, and vibrant. Getting on with it...

2. Your argument made me smile because it is just semantics that proves, in reality, that "technically" we are actually both right. For an object of fixed sized and composition such as a penny, then a fixed sensitivity setting will not be able to detect a penny beyond a certain depth. A penny is a penny at 1, 5, and 10" and your sensitivity adjustment will certainly affect your ability to detect (from a signal strength standpoint) that same penny at 10" if sensitivity were set at 75 vs. 95 (granted the effect is not linear) all other things being equal. While objects do not appreciably change size in the ground unless damaged (say by a plow blade or digging tool) or through corrosion/decay, they do tend to sink over time or can be plowed up back near the surface. So sensitivity can certainly affect your ability to detect said object depending on its depth. But if you DO want to get technical about it, it is true that sensitivity only affects the signal strength of a target of fixed size and composition (which correct me if I am wrong, pretty much describes all targets) at a given depth. That means that given a large target and smaller target of the same composition at the same depth, you would have to increase sensitivity to get the same signal strength reading on the Deus for the smaller target as you were getting for the larger target at the lower sensitivity setting, all other things being equal. Semantics, in that it depends on what example you choose to use to make your point.

Higher sensitivity enables:

Improving the signal strength of a fixed sized and composition/conductivity target as that target is positioned deeper under the same ground conditions. ("Sensitivity is most certainly for depth" - my quote)

Improving the signal strength of a smaller target vs. a larger target (of roughly the same conductivity) at the same depth.
("Sensitivity is for small items not technically for depth. The higher the sensitivity the more sensitive to smaller objects" - your quote)

So who is right and wrong, here since both statements are true?

3. As a DEUS enthusiast, I presume you own or have read Andy Sabisch handbook on the Deus. Whether you have or haven't, I recommend it highly. Pages 30 and 31 have a great discussion of the correlation between sensitivity, signal strength, and depth. Page 32 has a great explanation of the effects of selecting the various frequency settings and offsets and how "...higher frequencies are better suited for detecting smaller, low-to-medium conductive targets..." Hence my statement regarding using higher frequencies to improve detectability of smaller objects. Makes sense from a pure physics standpoint also when you think about the smaller wavelength of the higher frequency signals and how it can improve how the detector "resolves" those smaller objects.

4. Based on the above, as you know being a DEUS enthusiast, it also not just about signal strength but also tones (or vdi reading) and that is how target conductivity comes into play and it's effects on detectablity.

So a low conductive small target will sound different than a high conductive small target at the same depth given the same sensitivity setting and that may also affect signal strength but the tonality may affect "detectablity" from the perspective of the detectorist. Bottom line is as you start bringing in all the variables associated with the various adjustable detector settings and the variables associated with the environmental conditions and target types, it gets really complicated.

So am I wrong or do you just disagree (or neither)?

Thanks.

BTW checked out your videos and as a central VA relic hunter myself, enjoyed your video and finds. Watch out for that dreaded manual Ground Balance saboteur! Lol. Would love to road trip to your neck of the woods for some Western Campaign relic hunting and would love to show you some great spots out my way should you ever make it out to VA. Just PM me if interested.

can you repeat that one more time? :laughing7:

vferrari composes some of the most legible and logically coherent prose as anyone on TN. RESPECT! i read that response several times and each time got something additional out of it. nice work vferrari! :thumbsup:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Discrimination = 0
Iron volume = 3
Reactivity = 3
Audio response = 4

To use on 3 tones, set
Tone #1 202HZ

OR

I personally like all of the above except I set disc at 1 (not saying you should search with Disc 1 vs. 0 - just my preference and it tends to cut back on ground feedback). If I want to go full all metal with no disc then I use gold field at my preferred search frequency (typically 8 khz, but soil conditions and targets of interest can influence my to vary that to 12 or higher). I have both my relic 1 Disc program and Gold Field Relic program adjacent to each other on my custom program slots so I can quickly shift back and forth when I get a target hit. I typically like to "search" with gold field unless there is a LOT of iron then I will shift to 1 Disc. HH

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you repeat that one more time? :laughing7:

vferrari composes some of the most legible and logically coherent prose as anyone on TN. RESPECT! i read that response several times and each time got something additional out of it. nice work vferrari! :thumbsup:

Thanks. Just trying to keep it objective, factual, and non-emotional. Really wish the poster would have responded, I'm sure there are some flaws or points I am missing from his perspective and I almost always learn something new from reading this forum or getting out into the field with other detectorists. It's an awesome hobby with many different facets.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Setting disc to 1 will definately eliminate ground feedback in fertilized fields but it will also give very choppy and clipped response in iron which I personally can not stand

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Setting disc to 1 will definately eliminate ground feedback in fertilized fields but it will also give very choppy and clipped response in iron which I personally can not stand

I understand what you are saying. I guess I'm used to it because I am nutty enough to run GF for several minutes at a time so the choppy iron signal is barely noticeable to me when in DISC mode. Don't try this at home kids.

CTX Tom

Jul 5, 2012
Upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Teknetics 2 SE
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you guys like to use in farm fields where large cents ,Spanish silver and musket balls could be present?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you guys like to use in farm fields where large cents ,Spanish silver and musket balls could be present?

What kind of soil - hot or mild?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those would be high conductors. I am running Ver 4.

I would use my (now) standard full tones program:

Discrimination:-6.4 Disc (or anything around 0 Disc+/-). If you want to not impact depth, keep disc at 10 or below. I like to hear the iron, so I just eliminate discrimination. (Run Disc at 0 or 1 if Ver 3.2)
Tones: Full Tones (always)
Frequency: 4, 8, or 12. Whichever has the least interference. 4 is deepest, but TX power is locked at 3. Not necessarily a bad thing if soil is mild. If hot soil, keep it at 8 or 12. 18 if looking for mid-conductors like brass or small lead.
Sensitivity: Start with 90 slightly raise to as high as 93 if not chatty or lower if chatty at 90. Try to keep it at 85 min, otherwise depth starts dropping way off.
Reactivity: 2 or 2.5 (Note: Reactivity setting of 2.5 does not exist with ver 3.2)
Silencer: -1 or 0 (if you change reactivity setting, you will have to check Silencer to make sure it did not automatically change to something like 2 or 3 which kills depth)
Audio Response: 4 or 5 (4 or 5 will give you a slight lowering of target volume on deeper targets but you can always hear them).

I turn ID Norm to off in the Options/Configuration/Profile menu. Use whatever graphic you prefer Horseshoe or X-Y. I prefer Horseshoe.

Hope that helps.

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
◄ Minelab CTX 3030
◄ XP Deus
◄ Minelab Equinox 800
◄ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with Update 4.1 and the HF coils i would love to see some new programs shared any updated recomendations im currently using Gary's HOT and Sifter as my go to modes but now with the HF and the lates update would love to get feedbacn and recomendations if any one has any

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4.1 doesn't really necessitate any changes in program settings. Mainly it fixed balky comms between the MI6 Pinpointer and the controller module.

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
◄ Minelab CTX 3030
◄ XP Deus
◄ Minelab Equinox 800
◄ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah good to know, have you tried the new Ground Sensitivity settings, so far i've left them at default and am using Ground Tracking.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

Discrimination:-6.4 Disc (or anything around 0 Disc+/-). If you want to not impact depth, keep disc at 10 or below. I like to hear the iron, so I just eliminate discrimination. (Run Disc at 0 or 1 if Ver 3.2)
Frequency: 4, 8, or 12. Whichever has the least interference. 4 is deepest, but TX power is locked at 3. Not necessarily a bad thing if soil is mild. If hot soil, keep it at 8 or 12. 18 if looking for mid-conductors like brass or small lead.
Sensitivity: Start with 90 slightly raise to as high as 93 if not chatty or lower if chatty at 90. Try to keep it at 85 min, otherwise depth starts dropping way off.
Reactivity: 2 or 2.5 (Note: Reactivity setting of 2.5 does not exist with ver 3.2)
Silencer: -1 or 0 (if you change reactivity setting, you will have to check Silencer to make sure it did not automatically change to something like 2 or 3 which kills depth)
Audio Response: 4 or 5 (4 or 5 will give you a slight lowering of target volume on deeper targets but you can always hear them).

I turn ID Norm to off in the Options/Configuration/Profile menu. Use whatever graphic you prefer Horseshoe or X-Y. I prefer Horseshoe.

Hope that helps.
My 9inch round HF coil will be in this week. Do you suggest I try this program? Thanks, Shane

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Hope that helps.
Turning ID Norm to NO or off...........why?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reason 1: With ID Norm off you can use the fact that Target ID increases with frequency as a tool to ferret out mixed ferrous and falsing ferrous targets. Specifically, on the Deus, steel crown bottlecaps tend to ring up like a high conductor in the high 80's low 90's (dime or quarter) depending on what frequency you are using. If the target is a true high conductor, if you increase or decrease the frequency (most easily done by setting up two custom programs adjacent to each other which are identical but differ in frequency such that you can easily switch between them using the +/- buttons) , a true high conductor's target ID will increase or decrease accordingly with frequency while a bottlecap or falsing ferrous will likely do the opposite of that when you change frequency. Nowadays, I mainly go by tone and tonal quality to bypass crown caps, but the ability to see how a target responds to different frequencies is a useful tool and allowing target ID to "float" with frequency can be useful. Obvious downside is that you have to mentally be aware that target ID will shift with frequency. That why I never memorize specific target IDs but ID "ranges" for common targets.

Reason 2: XP has chosen to normalize to 18 khz. This tends to jam all the high conductors target IDs up into the 90's and you lose the convenient wider spread of target IDs when using the lower frequencies.

Reason 3: The HF coils lack ID norm, so if you are switching between HF and LF coils, IMO it is better if they all behave the same with respect to target ID variation with Freq.

Caveat: The new X35 coils include 25khz which is above 18 khz, but ID Norm still normalizes to 18khz so using ID Norm only at 25 khz has the advantage of spreading the high end TIDs out a little (18khz reference) which gives more TID high end separation. Just an interesting little trick/quirk, but I still prefer to keep ID norm off across the board for all my custom programs and regardless of what coil I use. HTH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread