Ohio
Detector(s) used
Deus II 9”
Garrett Apex
Fisher 1236-X2
Fisher CZ20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a lot of old home site properties with the Apex-5x8 coil, and the D2-9". I really like the 9" coil on the D2. I have swung the D2 with my son's 11" coil and it feels heavy. I would assume the 11' would go a little deeper, but the tradeoff might be more tedious work to isolate junk from good stuff around old home sites. HH with whatever setup you obtain.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can sure tell the difference between my Deus 2 with a 9 inch and my Deus2 with the 11 inch

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both my D1 and D2 have 11" coils and I'm very happy with them. I also have the 9" HF coil for the D1 but the only difference in performance for me is when using 50-59 kHz. At lower frequencies I haven't noticed a difference but that's based on the sites I hunt and yours may be different.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both my D1 and D2 have 11" coils and I'm very happy with them. I also have the 9" HF coil for the D1 but the only difference in performance for me is when using 50-59 kHz. At lower frequencies I haven't noticed a difference but that's based on the sites I hunt and yours may be different.
Emil i was not very clear please forgive me. When i said i could tell the difference it was the weight of swinging the coils and how hard it was for me to hold them :)P

Last edited:

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Emil i was not very clear p[lease forgive me. When i said i could tell the difference it was the weight of swinging the coils and how hard it was for me to hold them :)P
No need to apologize but thanks for the clarification. I should also add that, yes, with the 9" coil it's lighter, although for me the weight difference has been negligible. We'll see how I feel about that as I get older.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I. cutler, I prefer the 9" coil at my old home sites. The 9" inch is a bit better at getting into tight spots and gives better target separation. The 11" inch definitely gives you more coverage but I never found that to be an advantage in some of the iron choked sites. The 11" will give you a bit more depth and is my choice in cleaner open sites like a pasture. I use the 9" a lot more than the 11" for my typical sites.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to apologize but thanks for the clarification. I should also add that, yes, with the 9" coil it's lighter, although for me the weight difference has been negligible. We'll see how I feel about that as I get older.
BIG GRIN :) LOL

OP
OP
l.cutler

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody. Currently using an Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. Haven't made up my mind yet if I will get a Deus, the 600 has been good to me. If I do, I'll probably get the 11 inch and if I like the detector get a 9 inch later.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i was a LOT YOUNGER I could swing the larger coils . Now i am a bit weaker LOL

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both coils for my D2 and quite a few hours on both. The 11 inch from my experience is a little deeper on objects that are quarter size or larger....dime size objects i see very little gain in depth. The 11 ofcourse covers more area in fields or open areas with less trash. It does seperate really well for its size. Down side of the 11" coil is its weight..... it really changes the balance and feel of the D2. The other down side is the 11" is more chatty in high EMI areas. The 9" coil is by far my favorite and will really surprise you with its impressive depth. I also believe these coils sound different over the same targets. It is hard to explain but i feel the 9" is easier to tell a deep good target such as coin or a ring than the 11". This could be because the 9 was my first coil for the D2 and the one i learned the machine with. But i would highly recommend the 9" coil first then grab the larger coil later.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both coils for my D2 and quite a few hours on both. The 11 inch from my experience is a little deeper on objects that are quarter size or larger....dime size objects i see very little gain in depth. The 11 ofcourse covers more area in fields or open areas with less trash. It does seperate really well for its size. Down side of the 11" coil is its weight..... it really changes the balance and feel of the D2. The other down side is the 11" is more chatty in high EMI areas. The 9" coil is by far my favorite and will really surprise you with its impressive depth. I also believe these coils sound different over the same targets. It is hard to explain but i feel the 9" is easier to tell a deep good target such as coin or a ring than the 11". This could be because the 9 was my first coil for the D2 and the one i learned the machine with. But i would highly recommend the 9" coil first then grab the larger coil later.
GREAT POSTING THANKS !!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When i was a LOT YOUNGER I could swing the larger coils . Now i am a bit weaker LOL
Those were the days my friend, you thought they'd never end. :laughing7:
Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 7.23.49 AM.png

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On the DI had the 11" coil, then bought the 9x5 HF coil. The 11" has never been back on the detector since.
Just charge it it to keep it fresh.
The Deus ll I have the 9" coil and I really enjoy it, the main hunting sites are mostly iron patches.

Never was running a race to cover an acre an hr type detecting so coverage isn't a big factor.
From what I have seen on folks posting up information on the 2 coils, the 9" is the go to coil.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting around 200 acres of land with civil war activity the past two weeks and have been using the 11" coil. This property consists of open fields and wooded patches. This site has been pounded for decades and finds that are left are fairly deep and not easy to come by.... I can say the Deus 2 with the 11" coil has done very well and i am starting to warm up to the bigger coil for this type of hunting.
KIMG2566~2.JPG
KIMG2569~2.JPG

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the 13" one to see if it will help you find more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread